Which of these 2 Cereals should I eat? (Harder than I thought)

Options

Replies

• laurenjennifer1987mfp
    Options
    Apple jacks look / sound like grim, sugary kiddies cereal. I'd choose Kashi based on quantity and hope that it would be less likely to set my teeth on edge :smile: (so in reality I would pick neither). I'd fit either in to my calorie intake.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I sure hope Kashi has improved their formulation because the last time I tried one I nearly broke my teeth. They are also too sugary for my taste. I prefer large flake oatmeal with blueberries and Greek Yogurt.
  • grr8bluheron
    grr8bluheron Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Without much of an investigation; I would vote to skip any food that did not provide me protein. Kashi is always a delight for me. I am reading a book by June Hunt, How to Defeat Harmful Habits she quotes 2 Cor 7:1 "Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit." And Hebrews 12:11 "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. These are going onto my morning devotions.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    Apple Jacks sound awful and as though they are made for children. Are you a child?

There is nothing wrong with enjoying 'kid' cereals. I still eat Lucky Charms when I can, though I prefer the generic ones because the 'marshmellows' are better. There's no rule saying when you hit a certian age number you have to give up all things you enjoyed when you were younger. If you stick with a single serving of a kid cereal and it fits in your daily goal, why not?

Because it's disgusting. Your taste buds should mature as an adult. And if they don't, you should at least have the common sense to know that it's pure junk. If that's how you want to treat your body, then good luck to you.

1. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that Lucky Charms is a sugary cereal that doesn't really add any nutrition to my body. No, that doesn't matter. I like to eat things that I enjoy, even if in smaller quantities now. I mean, if I can't enjoy my food, eating just becomes a chore and you lose a very large pleasurable activity. so why bother?
    2. Yes, my taste buds matured, I like a lot of things now that I didn't. Doesn't mean I don't stop liking things I enjoyed as a kid. You probably enjoyed cookies and cake as a kid, does that mean when you become an adult you stopped eating them entirely?
    3. I also watch cartoons, anime, play video games, read young adult books since they're good quick lunch reads, run around outside on the playground and occasionally run through sprinklers. I'm sorry that's not adult enough for you. Oh, wait, meant to say NOT sorry. I am what I am, I've learned how to balance my foods to get what I want, and sometimes running through sprinklers is the only exercise I get.

Wow, I've rolled my eyes so much, they're stuck in the back of my head. The healthier you eat, the more the taste buds will mature. Crap like Apple Jacks and lucky charms will taste vile to you. I'm not sure how that would be pleasurable. And yes, I still enjoy cake and cookies from time to time but certainly NOT the crap I ate as a child.

Anyway, enjoy your cancer causing cereals. I hope it's worth it for all of you in the end.

Life without cereal, Cap'n Crunch being my favorite, is a life I don't want to live in. Cancer be damned.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Eat the cereal you enjoy more. Life is too short to eat stuff that you don't enjoy.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Apple Jacks sound awful and as though they are made for children. Are you a child?

There is nothing wrong with enjoying 'kid' cereals. I still eat Lucky Charms when I can, though I prefer the generic ones because the 'marshmellows' are better. There's no rule saying when you hit a certian age number you have to give up all things you enjoyed when you were younger. If you stick with a single serving of a kid cereal and it fits in your daily goal, why not?

Because it's disgusting. Your taste buds should mature as an adult. And if they don't, you should at least have the common sense to know that it's pure junk. If that's how you want to treat your body, then good luck to you.

1. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that Lucky Charms is a sugary cereal that doesn't really add any nutrition to my body. No, that doesn't matter. I like to eat things that I enjoy, even if in smaller quantities now. I mean, if I can't enjoy my food, eating just becomes a chore and you lose a very large pleasurable activity. so why bother?
    2. Yes, my taste buds matured, I like a lot of things now that I didn't. Doesn't mean I don't stop liking things I enjoyed as a kid. You probably enjoyed cookies and cake as a kid, does that mean when you become an adult you stopped eating them entirely?
    3. I also watch cartoons, anime, play video games, read young adult books since they're good quick lunch reads, run around outside on the playground and occasionally run through sprinklers. I'm sorry that's not adult enough for you. Oh, wait, meant to say NOT sorry. I am what I am, I've learned how to balance my foods to get what I want, and sometimes running through sprinklers is the only exercise I get.

Wow, I've rolled my eyes so much, they're stuck in the back of my head. The healthier you eat, the more the taste buds will mature. Crap like Apple Jacks and lucky charms will taste vile to you. I'm not sure how that would be pleasurable. And yes, I still enjoy cake and cookies from time to time but certainly NOT the crap I ate as a child.

Anyway, enjoy your cancer causing cereals. I hope it's worth it for all of you in the end.

Yes, because manufacturers of kid cereals want nothing more than to give them all cancer and end humanity. Talk about eye rolling.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Meh, and both are made by Kelloggs, as Kelloggs also owns the Kashi brand. Really, what difference does it make? Eat whatever tastes better, and add some fruit to bulk it up. If it were me, I'd probably eat both. It's only 250 calories total unless you add milk..still not bad for breakfast..
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Your tastebuds don't mature in order for you to prefer for "adult" foods and flavors thats the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.
    Sure some start to lose their sensation starting around the age of 50. Would you call those whose eyesight worsens with age "maturing eyes"....perhaps my mother just had matured hearing, yah, that's it.
    Don't roll your eyes too hard they may mature too early.

Can your palate and preference for flavors change over time, sure.

Can you give us some links to evidence on cancer causing cereal and or their ingredients?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'd choose a half serving of either and put it in 0% greek yogurt with fruit and mini chocolate chips, personally. Though I think the Kashi would taste better that way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Without much of an investigation; I would vote to skip any food that did not provide me protein. Kashi is always a delight for me. I am reading a book by June Hunt, How to Defeat Harmful Habits she quotes 2 Cor 7:1 "Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit." And Hebrews 12:11 "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. These are going onto my morning devotions.

"Now food will not bring us closer to God." (from 1 Cor. 8)

5 grams of protein is less than impressive.

But like I said above, I'm not a cereal person, so am biased. I have trouble thinking one is really meaningfully better than the other, but if someone enjoys it, go for it ;-)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My cereal doesn't last long enough to go soggy. And anything less than 100g is so not worth it in my book!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cereal causes cancer now?
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Have the one you want! Everything in moderation. If you deprive yourself of anything, you will most likely binge so enjoy the cereal and don't worry about it. Walk a little further and you'll have nothing to worry about. Good Luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I thought you were low carb?

It's funny that you are low carb and love cereal, while I am pro carb, but really hate cold cereal (it seems like the most depressing waste of calories to me.)

I know I am weird about this -- it was a stressor when I went to slumber parties as a kid and had to eat what was served me (EVERYONE ate cereal, sigh).

Eggs are so good.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I thought you were low carb?

It's funny that you are low carb and love cereal, while I am pro carb, but really hate cold cereal (it seems like the most depressing waste of calories to me.)

I know I am weird about this -- it was a stressor when I went to slumber parties as a kid and had to eat what was served me (EVERYONE ate cereal, sigh).

Eggs are so good.

Doesn't mean I can't have a cheat every now and then. I had a bowl of special K yesterday, and I might have another bowl in 2-3 weeks time too :tongue:

Cereal is my krypotonite, I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so it behooves me to keep it as an every now and then treat, rather than a every day pigfest :blush:
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    How do people not like Apple Jacks? really next going to tell me you hate cinnamon toast crunch
  • mollyreports
    mollyreports Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We're going to need a verdict posted here, OP. Was it the Apple Jacks or the Kashi? Hoping a decision was made since breakfast was like 9 hours ago...

So.. in case you all were wondering, I ended up eating both because the boxes were small :wink:
    Paired with skim milk makes 300 calories.

And a few notes...

As I stated in the question, I know this is a trivial example and no I don't do this for every food haha, HOWEVER I thought it was a representative example of the whole Sugar vs Calories issue as I make future food decisions!

And Yes I do usually eat healthy food throughout the day (plain oatmeal or eggs for breakfast, wraps or salads for lunch, and meat / veggies / rice or noodle dishes for dinner as my boyfriend is a Japanese chef or I cook, we take turns). So today I was tired of oatmeal and felt like cereal, not the most nutritious choice but everything in moderation :smiley:

I loved Apple Jacks as a kid though, sorry haters! :):blush:

However I am thankful for all the feedback, the honey oats Kashi still tasted good, was more nutritious, and as many stated, larger portion size, so I'll most likely go with that one in the future.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    High five on mixing them together, that is what I would have done!!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    the kashi cereal has more healthy ingredients, and the protein will keep you satisfied longer. Look into Special K protein cereal if you want another option with protein. I wouldn't eat any cereals with sugar as the first ingredient, even if it is lower calorie. But when it comes to weight loss, its all about calories in/out, and the lower calorie options are always the better choice, no matter the ingredients.
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Can someone explain to me how they like kashi it's like eating rabbit food.. I'd rather go with Apple Jacks even though it has all that fake crap in it but if it was me I would not eat any of it and just have an apple or a fruit salad or protein bar