Which of these 2 Cereals should I eat? (Harder than I thought)

Replies

• futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    If you enjoy them equally, I'd eat both and see which kept me feeling fuller and better for longer. Personally, I avoid artificial things (usually) so I'd probably opt for the Kashi which seems to have fewer (Franken)ingredients. Enjoy!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    We're going to need a verdict posted here, OP. Was it the Apple Jacks or the Kashi? Hoping a decision was made since breakfast was like 9 hours ago...
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Cereal always always always leaves me hungry.

Can you bring your own breakfast?

• heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member

Mercola is a quack. He is an AIDS denier and says sunscreen causes cancer. I would suggest reading other sources.

I'll stick with the Dr. I like. Thanks. I dont need you telling me who I should trust when it comes to my health. He is an amazing man who has done great work.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I always wonder when people use the buzzword "processed" in regards to whether or not they eat a food- for whatever reason. Where is the cut off within the "processing" that makes it "okay".
    And can most people say what that point/criteria is?

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Mercola is a quack. He is an AIDS denier and says sunscreen causes cancer. I would suggest reading other sources.

I'll stick with the Dr. I like. Thanks. I dont need you telling me who I should trust when it comes to my health. He is an amazing man who has done great work.

But he is still a quack
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    I would just choose based on my macros for that day. Neither cereal is a nutritional wonder lol.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2016

And has done a lot of damage too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I always wonder when people use the buzzword "processed" in regards to whether or not they eat a food- for whatever reason. Where is the cut off within the "processing" that makes it "okay".
    And can most people say what that point/criteria is?

People seem to use it to mean something different than the actual definition, and totally unaware that they eat lots of processed things themselves. It's so bizarre and confusing.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    I never said a calorie is not a calorie. I'm stating that calories from processed foods will not do the same for the body. If someone wants to loose weight. Especially if they are including a workout regime. They need to be fueling their bodies with nutrient dense calories not empty. So a apple will burn up more energy and supply the body with more energy then a bowl of Apple Jacks. I'm not saying that 100 calories dosnt equal 100 calories. But there's no denial that calories are not created equal.when it comes to.how your body breaks it down and uses it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    "All calories are not equal" is like Godwin's law for MFP.
  • MommyMeggo
    I never said a calorie is not a calorie. I'm stating that calories from processed foods will not do the same for the body. If someone wants to loose weight. Especially if they are including a workout regime. They need to be fueling their bodies with nutrient dense calories not empty. So a apple will burn up more energy and supply the body with more energy then a bowl of Apple Jacks. I'm not saying that 100 calories dosnt equal 100 calories. But there's no denial that calories are not created equal.when it comes to.how your body breaks it down and uses it.

So I see what you're saying a heavily processed 200 cal protein bar would not fuel a workout like a good ol 120ca chicken breast and 80cals of brown rice.
    The body would just go limp unable to perform due to having so many processed calories. Gotcha!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

But OP didn't say what else they are eating today. If they are having a spinach salad with tuna and balsamic & olive oil dressing for lunch, a pear and some almonds for a snack, and some grilled chicken breast with broccoli and a sweet potato for dinner, why can't they have a little bowl of apple jacks?
  • MommyMeggo
    Jruzer wrote: »
    "All calories are not equal" is like Godwin's law for MFP.

LMAO.
    I wont be the one!
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    throw the cereal out and eat some eggs.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

Eating a 150 calorie bowl of Apple Jacks does not preclude a person from eating hundreds, if not thousands, of more nutrient dense foods per day. You are acting as if this one bowl of cereal is indicative of the whole of the OP's diet. It's one bowl of cereal. That's it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Apple Jacks. Because every Kashi cereal I've tried tasted like paper shavings sprinkled with dirt.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Wow. Really overthinking this one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I never said a calorie is not a calorie.

You linked people saying that and you said "[n]ot all calories are created equal..." Care to tell me how that's different?
    I'm stating that calories from processed foods will not do the same for the body.

Again, why is plain greek yogurt or smoked salmon or the salad I mentioned a few posts ago different from non processed foods in terms of the nutrients provided?

Processed foods vary a lot, as do non processed foods. The fact that they are "processed" doesn't really provide any information as to the nutrients they contain or how caloric they are.
    If someone wants to loose weight. Especially if they are including a workout regime. They need to be fueling their bodies with nutrient dense calories not empty.

Specifically for fueling a workout you will want easily digestible carbs, so some processed foods might be good choices, depending on the specifics.

I tend to like having some carbs at night before a morning workout, but it doesn't make much difference whether it's something less processed (like roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes) or more processed (like pasta, which I normally eat with lean meat and lots of vegetables).

Again, why on earth would it?
    So a apple will burn up more energy and supply the body with more energy then a bowl of Apple Jacks.

More energy=more calories, so not really true.

Are you arguing that Apple Jacks won't fuel a workout? That seems really quite unlikely, and I say this as someone who finds all cold cereal disgusting (because it tastes bad). Quick carbs are usually a good way to fuel a workout, and Apple Jacks are quick carbs. This is also why it's common to use something like a gel when running a marathon or doing a triathlon (and why chomping on a piece of chicken probably wouldn't work so well, although chicken is good for other purposes).
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Apple Jacks. Because every Kashi cereal I've tried tasted like paper shavings sprinkled with dirt.

^^This. Except......have you tried the Golean Crisp Toasted Berry Crumble? YUM!!!