Which of these 2 Cereals should I eat? (Harder than I thought)

Options
mollyreports
mollyreports Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there,

We have individual cereal packets at work and I was trying to decide which to eat.

Goal: Lose weight (I am counting calories)

The choice is between Apple Jacks and Kashi's Toasted Oat cereal.
Obviously common knowledge says the Apple Jacks are bad, but after looking at the nutrition content I am unsure which is better for losing weight?

Check out the pictures below (Apple Jacks has 2 pictures), but here is a basic rundown of the stats that made me question my judgment below. Keep in mind that if I ate 2 boxes the gaps would increase even more:

A) Apple Jacks only has 100 calories, while Kashi has 150. (Winner: Apple Jacks)

B ) Apple Jacks only has 24g of carbs, while Kashi has 31g. (Winner: Apple Jacks)

C) Apple Jacks has 10g of sugar, but Kashi still has 6g. (Winner: Kashi)

D) Both are made from whole grain. (Winner: both?)

E) Apple Jacks has nurtrients like Zinc and Iron, but Kashi has much more of Vitamins like B, C, E, etc. (Winner: not sure)

Overall it is a pretty trivial question and I know that neither is really "healthy". But I thought this would be a valuable question to pose to the community that could represent the larger scale sugar vs. calories issue.

Let me know what you think is the best for Losing Weight!

Thanks

aa6543whru3q.jpg
unglgrulpjot.jpg
b5ntlxiq67fm.jpg

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I know I don't like Apple Jacks and the other one looks like it might be okay based on the picture so I'd choose it. I'm not a big cereal eater though so what do I know.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I would combine them. Weigh them separately and throw them in a bowl.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Both are fine for losing weight as long as you stay within your calorie goal/macros. It doesn't matter which one you eat unless you have individual goals such as eating more whole grain, eating less sugar, etc.
  • adinterim
    adinterim Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not the one that has "sugar" as it's first listed ingredient!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would pick whichever one you like best. Trying to micromanage your diet down to only the "best" foods sounds depressing to me (and I've been there). Obviously if one fits your calorie or macro goals better, then maybe consider that one. But when they're as similar as two cereals, pick whichever you want.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Well I would vote Kashi because you are getting 40 grams vs. 27 grams and Kashi has 5 grams of protein vs. 1 gram in the Apple Jacks and I prioritize protein. The Kashi has more fiber too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Neither, as I hate cold cereal.

The Kashi has more grams per serving size, though, and more protein (both are low), so might be more filling. Both 100 calories and 150 calories strike me as low for a breakfast (I assume you'd add milk or something).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd eat the Apple Jacks today and the Kashi tomorrow. Apple Jacks has 2/3 the calories and is almost as good with fiber.

I look at calories first.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't like Apple Jacks, so I'd probably pick the toasted oats, based on taste. The extra vitamins mean little to me, as I take a multivitamin that gives me those already. Actually, I prefer Peanut Butter Multigrain Cheerios, but that's not one of the choices, lol.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eat the one that you like the taste of? Combine them?

Both are fine. Fit it into your calorie goal and watch the magic happen.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OOOOH tricky. The Kashi has almost twice the weight. Eat half a Kashi box.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd pick the Kashi - the serving size is a lot more than the Apple Jacks. To get a true comparison of the cereals you'd want to compare the calories/nutrients for an equal portion.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'd probably go with Kashi because it has slightly more fiber and protein. Those are two of the things I have the hardest time hitting my goals on. Plus, the serving size is 27g for the Apple Jacks and 40g for the Kashi so more food with the Kashi.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I usually chose Kashi for the higher protein and fiber. but I get the ones higher protein grams.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The one you like best.

For me, probably neither, cereal is one of the least filling foods for the calories as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    27g cereal vs 40g cereal

I know which one I would have
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The Kashi will fill you up much more than the some amount of apple jacks would.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    adinterim wrote: »
    as opposed to the one that has 'cane syrup' as its second? lol don't be fooled by fancy words.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Apple Jacks serving size 1 box (27 grams).
    Kashi serving size 1 box (40 grams)

Calories
    Apple Jacks 100 calories per 27 grams = 3.7 cal/gram
    Kashi 150 calories per 40 grams= 3.75 cals/gram. A wash

Carbs
    AJ 24 carbs per 27 grams= .88 carbs per gram
    K 31 per 40 grams= .775 carbs per gram. "Pick'em"?

Sugar

AJ 10 grams sugar per 27 grams cereal= .37 gram sugar per gram of cereal
    K 6 grams sugar per 40 grams cereal= .15 gram sugar per gram of cereal Kashi Winner

Are you really comparing a 27 gram box to a 40 gram box heads up?
    On an ingredients list if the first listing is sugar, you've got a problem.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    adinterim wrote: »
    as opposed to the one that has 'cane syrup' as its second? lol don't be fooled by fancy words.

But cane sugar is so much healthier ;)