Which of these 2 Cereals should I eat? (Harder than I thought)

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    delcatty wrote: »
    I would go by ingredients and how you lose weight.

There's a ton of modified and sugary ingredients in the Apple Jacks. If that's your concern, go with the Kashi.
    ]b]If you tend to hold weight due to sugar, [/b]then I would also consider the Kashi.

How does one "hold weight due to sugar"?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    In terms of just bulk, the Kashi one gives you more. But if you prefer Apple Jacks and one serving will satisfy you, I vote Apple Jacks.

I haven't personally tried either cereal, but does 40 grams of kashi feel more substantial than 40 grams of apple jacks (about 1.5 servings)?

For some it would. I mean, I'm going feel more satisfied if I eat a larger AMOUNT of food, so if that was the case, I would go with the one that gives you more just in terms of bulk. It's why I don't eat cashews anymore even though I love them. One serving is barely enough to fit in the palm of my hand, and that tiny amount is not going to satisfy me! What I consider a 'serving' for me is 3-4 regular servings, which is a horrible idea just in terms of calories.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein would win the day as long as you stay under your TDEE. Not a fan of either tbh.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    In terms of just bulk, the Kashi one gives you more. But if you prefer Apple Jacks and one serving will satisfy you, I vote Apple Jacks.

I haven't personally tried either cereal, but does 40 grams of kashi feel more substantial than 40 grams of apple jacks (about 1.5 servings)?

For some it would. I mean, I'm going feel more satisfied if I eat a larger AMOUNT of food, so if that was the case, I would go with the one that gives you more just in terms of bulk. It's why I don't eat cashews anymore even though I love them. One serving is barely enough to fit in the palm of my hand, and that tiny amount is not going to satisfy me! What I consider a 'serving' for me is 3-4 regular servings, which is a horrible idea just in terms of calories.

Oh this was purely out of curiosity. I mean both cereals have nearly the same amount of calories per gram, was just asking if one looks "puffier" than the other or something. I'm a volume eater and I completely understand what you are talking about!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Apple Jacks sound awful and as though they are made for children. Are you a child?

This makes no sense.

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

There's a ton of modified and sugary ingredients in the Apple Jacks. If that's your concern, go with the Kashi.
    ]b]If you tend to hold weight due to sugar, [/b]then I would also consider the Kashi.

When the body thinks it wont get anymore sugar- it holds on to it. Its called Sugar Starvation Mode. :wink:
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Apple Jacks sound awful and as though they are made for children. Are you a child?

At heart. Forever.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First of all, Kashi has double the fiber, which is going to keep you full longer than Apple Jacks. Also, the serving sizes are not the same.

Apple jacks = 100 calories / 27 G
    Kashi = 150 / 40 G

Which, if you total the amount of calories per gram, you are getting 3.70 calories per gram for Apple Jacks and about 3.75 calories per gram for Kashi, which means that calorie wise, you are getting the same per actual serving, however since Kashi has some better nutrients (read, ALL THAT FIBER!) you will feel much more satisfied for longer.

Personally my all time favorite cereal is Great Grains Banana Nut Crunch (http://postfoods.com/our-brands/great-grains/banana-nut-crunch). While it is a higher calorie food, ~3.90 calories per gram, the amount of fiber (28%) and the various vitamins and minerals, are ideal for me. It's a solid way to start the morning.

Calories are important, but so is feeling full; you are less likely to feel full and satisfied with the Apple Jacks and are more likely to end up snacking or overeating at lunch. Vitamins and minerals are also important, but due to my calorie restrictions (1200 per day), I take a multi-vitamin supplement to help me reach those goals instead of relying entirely on foods; this may be something for you to look into as well.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Apple Jacks is not food. Your body won't use anything in it. It's all fake and nasty. If you want to live healthy and be healthy eat foods that your body can convert Into actual energy. AJ's are not food. Make your own oatmeal.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

This makes no sense.

Oh, it makes perfect sense. As being pretentious BS.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Apple Jacks is not food. Your body won't use anything in it. It's all fake and nasty. If you want to live healthy and be healthy eat foods that your body can convert Into actual energy. AJ's are not food. Make your own oatmeal.

That's not correct. If it has calories, the body is going to be using things from it.
  • Unclewigging
    Unclewigging Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First, serving sizes are not the same so while it appears the AJ are lower in calories they are not. The Kashi is a better fit from a lower sugar higher protein standpoint. Plus, higher fiber and better vitamins all the way around.

If you are trying to eat clean- the Kashi is a better way to go. Use protein powder and water to make your "milk" and you have a pretty decent macro balanced breakfast in your bowl. That said, eating the AJ occasionally wont kill you but if "I": had my choice, I'd go with the Kashi. Full disclosure, I use the Kashi Go Lean when I am not having oatmeal for my meal one.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    [no your body will not use the calories the same way. Foods that are highly processed are not going to be used by the body.eat same as fresh foods. Your body has a harder time assimilating foods full of fillers and additives turning the majority into stored sugars and fats. Rather then utilizing it for fuel.
    quote="amusedmonkey;35706771"]

That's not correct. If it has calories, the body is going to be using things from it. [/quote]

• WinoGelato
    Options
    First, serving sizes are not the same so while it appears the AJ are lower in calories they are not. The Kashi is a better fit from a lower sugar higher protein standpoint. Plus, higher fiber and better vitamins all the way around.

If you are trying to eat clean- the Kashi is a better way to go. Use protein powder and water to make your "milk" and you have a pretty decent macro balanced breakfast in your bowl. That said, eating the AJ occasionally wont kill you but if "I": had my choice, I'd go with the Kashi. Full disclosure, I use the Kashi Go Lean when I am not having oatmeal for my meal one.

Let me get this straight. Apple Jacks = Unclean but Kashi + Protein Powder + Milk = Clean?

• WinoGelato
    Options
    How is this even a question. One has a catchy jingle. The other does not. Obviously you should choose Apple Jacks so you can sing,

"A is for Apple! J is for Jacks! Cinnamon-toasty Apple Jacks!" all day long!

And now the rest of you will be singing that too, at least those of you old enough to remember the commercial. You're welcome. Bwah hah hah hah.....
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    [no your body will not use the calories the same way. Foods that are highly processed are not going to be used by the body.eat same as fresh foods. Your body has a harder time assimilating foods full of fillers and additives turning the majority into stored sugars and fats. Rather then utilizing it for fuel.

I'm sorry but this is not true at all. Can you cite the source of your information?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

When the body thinks it wont get anymore sugar- it holds on to it. Its called Sugar Starvation Mode. :wink:

Heh.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I thought clean meant no processed foods.

In what universe is Kashi not processed? (Or protein powder?) Milk is less processed than protein powder plus water, also.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    MrsNikiG wrote: »
    You want to go with the food that's less processed and stripped of nutrients.

They are both highly processed and both have nutrients added.
    The sugar on the Kashi is Cane syrup which is less processed and better for you.

Why?
    Calories are not the most important thing when your trying to lose weight. Not all calories are created equal, you should always eat nutrient dense foods.

Foods aren't the same, no. Calories are.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

This is wrong and has no basis in reality.