Which of these 2 Cereals should I eat? (Harder than I thought)

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I personally don't understand trying to be nitpicky over cereal. Yeah, some have health claims because they have a target audience they are trying to sell. It's just cereal. One having more fiber than the other is not a deal maker or breaker for me. It's all additives anyway, so if you add a bit of psyllium husk and a teaspoon of protein powder to the one that has less fiber and protein and there you go, an instantly "healthier" cereal than the other one. It's not like we are talking about things like fruits and vegetables which, along with fiber, have phytonutrients and other pretty ingredients. it's just cereal... It's being eaten as a part of an overall diet. Those silly differences the box tries to sell us are pretty silly and are made to sell.
  • shut_up_legs
    shut_up_legs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Omg those apple jacks look grim! They have 10g sugar in a 27g portion - more than a 3rd (37%) of the contents is just sugar. The other one is 6g sugar in a 40g portion so not great either but slightly better, at least only 15% sugar.
    I love sweets as much as anyone, but a bowlful for breakfast seems a poor start to the day and would leave me ravenous by about 10am!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly, I wouldn't eat either. They are both sweetened and highly processed.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Apple Jacks sound awful and as though they are made for children. Are you a child?

There is nothing wrong with enjoying 'kid' cereals. I still eat Lucky Charms when I can, though I prefer the generic ones because the 'marshmellows' are better. There's no rule saying when you hit a certian age number you have to give up all things you enjoyed when you were younger. If you stick with a single serving of a kid cereal and it fits in your daily goal, why not?

Because it's disgusting. Your taste buds should mature as an adult. And if they don't, you should at least have the common sense to know that it's pure junk. If that's how you want to treat your body, then good luck to you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Apple Jacks sound awful and as though they are made for children. Are you a child?

There is nothing wrong with enjoying 'kid' cereals. I still eat Lucky Charms when I can, though I prefer the generic ones because the 'marshmellows' are better. There's no rule saying when you hit a certian age number you have to give up all things you enjoyed when you were younger. If you stick with a single serving of a kid cereal and it fits in your daily goal, why not?

Because it's disgusting. Your taste buds should mature as an adult. And if they don't, you should at least have the common sense to know that it's pure junk. If that's how you want to treat your body, then good luck to you.

Wow. You're sure superior aren't you? It's just cereal it's not like she's asking our opinion on smoking crack and doing prostitution. A little cereal in moderation isn't going to do harm.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    My taste buds will never mature! Pass the lucky Charms, I'll figure out how to fill out the rest of my macros for the day :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I pour wine on my Fruit Loops. Is that mature enough for you?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ^ very bad source
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Wait, do we have to eat only adult food? I missed that memo. I'm going to need to offload some Easy Mac before anyone sees my cabinets.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You. I like you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,424 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The right choice for weight loss is the one you want that fits your calorie goal. Probably either one would do that since there is only 50 calories difference.
    I would not choose apple jacks personally because I don't like them. I've never had the other cereal so I might like it. Neither has chocolate so both are not my kind of cereal.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The Kashi has more to it. 40g vs 27g - that is why its higher calorie. Personally I would not find 27g of cereal to be filling unless I also had fruit, eggs, etc. to go along with it. Beyond that it come down to choice/preference and logging accurately to know how many calories you've consumed.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Wait, our taste buds mature? - Above and beyond= Sweet, Sour, Bitter and Salty? New to me.
    Lots of immature taste buds on MFP.

The majority of "taste" is done via olfaction - our nose.

Edit: 5th sensation of taste is Umami or "savory". I have yet to use that description in my day to day.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You. I like you.

Fruit Loop Vodka... that must rock her world.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Your body will better digest and convert whole foods better. And use up that energy as while foods that are nutrient dense can be used across the board. While processed chemical layden foods are harder to digest and use. It's that simple. 100 calories in say an apple compared to a 100 calories in a bowl of apple Jacks will not be used the same. Your body will use more energy to digest the apple, and it will.e converted I to better vitamins and nutrition for the whole body. Where the apple Jacks will require less energy to burn and will be stored more easily as fat and sugar in the body.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

1. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that Lucky Charms is a sugary cereal that doesn't really add any nutrition to my body. No, that doesn't matter. I like to eat things that I enjoy, even if in smaller quantities now. I mean, if I can't enjoy my food, eating just becomes a chore and you lose a very large pleasurable activity. so why bother?
    2. Yes, my taste buds matured, I like a lot of things now that I didn't. Doesn't mean I don't stop liking things I enjoyed as a kid. You probably enjoyed cookies and cake as a kid, does that mean when you become an adult you stopped eating them entirely?
    3. I also watch cartoons, anime, play video games, read young adult books since they're good quick lunch reads, run around outside on the playground and occasionally run through sprinklers. I'm sorry that's not adult enough for you. Oh, wait, meant to say NOT sorry. I am what I am, I've learned how to balance my foods to get what I want, and sometimes running through sprinklers is the only exercise I get.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Because it's disgusting. Your taste buds should mature as an adult. And if they don't, you should at least have the common sense to know that it's pure junk.

Awesome, She has spoken. Let me tell y'all about my disgusting, filthy bowls of Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch today (but store brand knock-offs because I'm not a sucker).

First, I grabbed my LC (as it call it) and tenderly (but firmly!) opened the box top. The plastic bag inside yielded to my touch and parted for my eager tongue. Excitedly, I raised the box to the sky and looked up within. A shower of green clovers and blue diamonds was my lusty reward, all over my joyful face and cascading down my body.

But I was insatiable! Captain Crunch was next. I ripped off the box top and swung wildly, the hard crunchy cereal spraying across the floor! I took off my clothes and knelt down for my reward, rolling with great abandon. Grinding the cereal into a fine, yellow powder on my Italian marble floor.

This continued for a half-hour session. Then I rinsed off with a jug of milk and tipped my Cereal Assistant an extra $50. "See you next Monday, Esmerelda. Oh, and bring the Fruity Pebbles next time." I winked and did double-finger guns as she left my estate, and then I took a well-deserved nap.

How was your day?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You. I like you.

Ewwww, that makes your cereal soggy! XD

Although, a kid cereal flavored vodka might be a good seller....*ponders*