Which of these 2 Cereals should I eat? (Harder than I thought)

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    The fact is. Your body is still not going to use the calories from crap the same as from real nutrient dense foods.

Says who?

Dr oz I'm guessing
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    The fact is. Your body is still not going to use the calories from crap the same as from real nutrient dense foods.

What is "crap", exactly?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I would imagine if a person were eating feces, they may have difficulty hitting nutritional goals. However, since people (I hope) aren't actually doing that, I'm not sure what foods you are calling "crap" that don't provide any nutrition? No one is saying that apple jacks are the same as an apple. That is silly. However, that doesn't mean that apple jacks are "crap" or that they provide no nutrition at all, or that they can't also be enjoyed as part of a primarily nutrient dense diet?
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Foods that are highly processed have more empty calories. Not really nutrition. When fueling your body, it will take more from foods that are nutrient dense rather then foods that are void of such nutrients. While a calorie equals energy. Your body processes those calories completely differently.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    The problem "anti-junk" people have is that they paint a picture of a person who eats nothing but sugary cereals, doughnuts and jelly beans, then believe it to be true.

Jeez, no kidding. I was walking around with an old friend recently and his wife was giving me a weird hassle about a Twix bar I grabbed at a bodega and was eating along the way. I even offered her some. What the hell, woman?

75% of what I eat is meat, eggs, and veggies. The rest is alien space food from the fifth dimension; I know what I'm doing. Relax about my stupid Twix bar.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    How is this even a question. One has a catchy jingle. The other does not. Obviously you should choose Apple Jacks so you can sing,

"A is for Apple! J is for Jacks! Cinnamon-toasty Apple Jacks!" all day long!

And now the rest of you will be singing that too, at least those of you old enough to remember the commercial. You're welcome. Bwah hah hah hah.....

Dammit :naughty:
  • WinoGelato
    Foods that are highly processed have more empty calories. Not really nutrition. When fueling your body, it will take more from foods that are nutrient dense rather then foods that are void of such nutrients. While a calorie equals energy. Your body processes those calories completely differently.

Did you read the thread I linked above? Here it is again. I think you will find the discussion enlightening.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10345604/a-quick-refresher-on-a-calorie-is-a-calorie/p1
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Check out this thread, it is right in your wheelhouse.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it#latest
  • MommyMeggo

Obviously more nutrient dense foods provide more nutrients.

Tell me how a 150 calorie Bowl of oatmeal is processed differently than a 150 calorie chocolate cookie from a calorie standpoint? They aren't. If you want to discuss micro nutrients profiles that's a different topic which no one is disputing
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Because all calories are not equal
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

So you won't gain weight from "crap"? Cool.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

Mercola is a quack. He is an AIDS denier and says sunscreen causes cancer. I would suggest reading other sources.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Well, the serving size is different for one thing. So that makes a big difference. For me... honestly, eating cereal is more about what I enjoy more because there is no type that makes me feel full. So I'd just pick based on what I want (within a limit. If 1/4 cup was like 250 calories no way I'd bother fitting that in).
  • WinoGelato

All calories are equal from an energy standpoint. That doesn't mean that all foods have the same nutritional profile. However, the fact remains that both cereals provide macro and micro nutrients. How well they fit into the context of the OP's overall day is maybe one thing to consider if choosing between them, or determining if there are other foods to add which might provide more satiety. I'm not sure how either can be called "empty calories".
  • MommyMeggo

Macro/Micronuterients profiles are not created equal.
    But a calorie is a calorie regardless of how it makes you feel.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

Obviously more nutrient dense foods provide more nutrients.

Tell me how a 150 calorie Bowl of oatmeal is processed differently than a 150 calorie chocolate cookie from a calorie standpoint? They aren't. If you want to discuss micro nutrients profiles that's a different topic which no one is disputing

This.

Whether or not something is processed also does not determine how many nutrients it has. Processed foods like smoked salmon and cottage cheese and even the ham, avocado, and jalapeno sandwich with cheese and mango chutney I like to buy for lunch as an occasional splurge or the Buffalo chicken salad from Protein Bar (it has quinoa and kale, LOL!) have nutrients.
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Everyone has already replied similar, but I'd go for the Kashi just based on weight and protein alone... assuming of course that you even like this cereal? Don't eat things you don't like, it wont last long. If you don't like the Kashi and do like the AppleJacks, eat the AppleJacks.

Just your calories per day that MFP gives you and you'll win either way.