Which of these 2 Cereals should I eat? (Harder than I thought)

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Because it's disgusting. Your taste buds should mature as an adult. And if they don't, you should at least have the common sense to know that it's pure junk.

Awesome, She has spoken. Let me tell y'all about my disgusting, filthy bowls of Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch today (but store brand knock-offs because I'm not a sucker).

First, I grabbed my LC (as it call it) and tenderly (but firmly!) opened the box top. The plastic bag inside yielded to my touch and parted for my eager tongue. Excitedly, I raised the box to the sky and looked up within. A shower of green clovers and blue diamonds was my lusty reward, all over my joyful face and cascading down my body.

But I was insatiable! Captain Crunch was next. I ripped off the box top and swung wildly, the hard crunchy cereal spraying across the floor! I took off my clothes and knelt down for my reward, rolling with great abandon. Grinding the cereal into a fine, yellow powder on my Italian marble floor.

This continued for a half-hour session. Then I rinsed off with a jug of milk and tipped my Cereal Assistant an extra $50. "See you next Monday, Esmerelda. Oh, and bring the Fruity Pebbles next time." I winked and did double-finger guns as she left my estate, and then I took a well-deserved nap.

How was your day?

o0subxxs6mq1.gif

P.S. - Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Cereal FTW!
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    Neither - why eat something processed that comes out of a factory when you could have something like scrambled eggs and mushrooms?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,637 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Because it's disgusting. Your taste buds should mature as an adult. And if they don't, you should at least have the common sense to know that it's pure junk.

Awesome, She has spoken. Let me tell y'all about my disgusting, filthy bowls of Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch today (but store brand knock-offs because I'm not a sucker).

First, I grabbed my LC (as it call it) and tenderly (but firmly!) opened the box top. The plastic bag inside yielded to my touch and parted for my eager tongue. Excitedly, I raised the box to the sky and looked up within. A shower of green clovers and blue diamonds was my lusty reward, all over my joyful face and cascading down my body.

But I was insatiable! Captain Crunch was next. I ripped off the box top and swung wildly, the hard crunchy cereal spraying across the floor! I took off my clothes and knelt down for my reward, rolling with great abandon. Grinding the cereal into a fine, yellow powder on my Italian marble floor.

This continued for a half-hour session. Then I rinsed off with a jug of milk and tipped my Cereal Assistant an extra $50. "See you next Monday, Esmerelda. Oh, and bring the Fruity Pebbles next time." I winked and did double-finger guns as she left my estate, and then I took a well-deserved nap.

How was your day?

o0subxxs6mq1.gif

Ooooooh, that's my next cereal after I finish up the box of Count Chocula.

And if immature tastebuds are wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Aaaaaaand the gram to calorie ratio of the Apple Jacks are pretty much on par with the Kashi cereal.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,209 Member
    Options
    Both are fine for losing weight as long as you stay within your calorie goal/macros. It doesn't matter which one you eat unless you have individual goals such as eating more whole grain, eating less sugar, etc.

THIS. I would tend toward the higher fiber one, but both are fine. Neither is better or worse in and of itself.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Neither - why eat something processed that comes out of a factory when you could have something like scrambled eggs and mushrooms?

a. Because there is nothing bad about eating processed foods, there are many that offer a variety of both macro and micro nutrients and simply the fact that they are "processed" does not negate the nutrition within them.

b. Because (and I'm guessing here) OP was eating breakfast in a place where she didn't have access to a stove to prepare a fresh egg/mushroom scramble.

c. Because cereal is tasty?

d. all of the above
  • Jazzykatt
    Jazzykatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Health and weight loss do not always go hand in hand. Less calories are optimal for weight loss; however, better nutrients are optimal for health. Just stay in your caloric range and try to make smart choices.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    We're going to need a verdict posted here, OP. Was it the Apple Jacks or the Kashi? Hoping a decision was made since breakfast was like 9 hours ago...

So.. in case you all were wondering, I ended up eating both because the boxes were small :wink:
    Paired with skim milk makes 300 calories.

And a few notes...

As I stated in the question, I know this is a trivial example and no I don't do this for every food haha, HOWEVER I thought it was a representative example of the whole Sugar vs Calories issue as I make future food decisions!

And Yes I do usually eat healthy food throughout the day (plain oatmeal or eggs for breakfast, wraps or salads for lunch, and meat / veggies / rice or noodle dishes for dinner as my boyfriend is a Japanese chef or I cook, we take turns). So today I was tired of oatmeal and felt like cereal, not the most nutritious choice but everything in moderation :smiley:

I loved Apple Jacks as a kid though, sorry haters! :):blush:

However I am thankful for all the feedback, the honey oats Kashi still tasted good, was more nutritious, and as many stated, larger portion size, so I'll most likely go with that one in the future.

And perhaps the combined laughing and shaking your head at some of these responses helped you with your daily calorie burn. ;)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    We're going to need a verdict posted here, OP. Was it the Apple Jacks or the Kashi? Hoping a decision was made since breakfast was like 9 hours ago...

So.. in case you all were wondering, I ended up eating both because the boxes were small :wink:
    Paired with skim milk makes 300 calories.

And a few notes...

As I stated in the question, I know this is a trivial example and no I don't do this for every food haha, HOWEVER I thought it was a representative example of the whole Sugar vs Calories issue as I make future food decisions!

And Yes I do usually eat healthy food throughout the day (plain oatmeal or eggs for breakfast, wraps or salads for lunch, and meat / veggies / rice or noodle dishes for dinner as my boyfriend is a Japanese chef or I cook, we take turns). So today I was tired of oatmeal and felt like cereal, not the most nutritious choice but everything in moderation :smiley:

I loved Apple Jacks as a kid though, sorry haters! :):blush:

However I am thankful for all the feedback, the honey oats Kashi still tasted good, was more nutritious, and as many stated, larger portion size, so I'll most likely go with that one in the future.

And perhaps the combined laughing and shaking your head at some of these responses helped you with your daily calorie burn. ;)

Better to laugh than the headache induced eyerolling it gave me. :p
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The winner is neither......My favorite warm cinnamon Kashi

imp]533_NutritionLabel.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

But that has the exact same calories as the honey kashi.

I personally like plain cheerios. I did not grow up eating cold cereals so I don't have any nostalgic "taste of childhood" cereal. When I first picked up a cereal to try as an adult it was plain cheerios and it was kind of "imprinted" as the way a cereal is supposed to taste, so anything else tastes weird to me.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Looking about both cereals in the OP photo, they both provide about 3.7 cals/g.

Given that the Kashi micros and macros (protein especially) seem to be more appropriate to what I'd want, and the serving size is likely to be more satiating, I would pick the Kashi on the numbers alone.

Of course, if the Kashi tastes like granulated sadness I would pick whatever's behind door number 3 (like an Egg McMuffin).

Everything else, to me, is irrelevant. Both are processed equally (and I don't care about that). Sugar is not my enemy. Mercola is a quack (I would check for myself if he said fire was hot).
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    My taste buds are very immature so sometimes it might be 2 of these and a cup of coffee to keep me full for hours :)
    te2hddu71x97.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

How was your day?

o0subxxs6mq1.gif

OMG do you guys have any food group that doesn't come in a peanut butter version?? I'm so insanely jealous! We do not even have one peanut butter flavoured cereal, not a one :cry:
  • auddii
    Options

How was your day?

o0subxxs6mq1.gif

OMG do you guys have any food group that doesn't come in a peanut butter version?? I'm so insanely jealous! We do not even have one peanut butter flavoured cereal, not a one :cry:

You'll just have to console yourself with a cadbury creme egg mcflurry...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jazzykatt wrote: »
    Health and weight loss do not always go hand in hand. Less calories are optimal for weight loss; however, better nutrients are optimal for health. Just stay in your caloric range and try to make smart choices.

There's a strong argument that it's healthier to be not obese and be short some nutrients than it is to be obese but hitting all your nutritional targets. Sure, it's better to hit both goals, but if I had to choose between the two, being a healthy weight is going to be my obvious preference every time.

But this is page seven of a "decide between two cereals" thread. WTAF is going on in here???
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

How was your day?

o0subxxs6mq1.gif

IS THIS A REAL THING!?!?
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

There's a strong argument that it's healthier to be not obese and be short some nutrients than it is to be obese but hitting all your nutritional targets. Sure, it's better to hit both goals, but if I had to choose between the two, being a healthy weight is going to be my obvious preference every time.

But this is page seven of a "decide between two cereals" thread. WTAF is going on in here???

Some people like apple jacks.
    Some people think Kashi tastes like animal feed.
    The majority verdict: Kashi for nutrition, AJ for taste
    Choice in cereal = level of maturity.
    Being an adult means your taste buds are no longer infant, child, prepubescent, or adolescent taste buds...therefore "children's food" should undoubtedly taste vile to you.
    Cereal causes cancer.
  • auddii
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

How was your day?

o0subxxs6mq1.gif

IS THIS A REAL THING!?!?

Apparently only in Australia.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

But that has the exact same calories as the honey kashi.

I personally like plain cheerios. I did not grow up eating cold cereals so I don't have any nostalgic "taste of childhood" cereal. When I first picked up a cereal to try as an adult it was plain cheerios and it was kind of "imprinted" as the way a cereal is supposed to taste, so anything else tastes weird to me.

Yes - but she was comparing Apple Jacks (cinnamon & apple flavor) to plain oat cereal. The warm cinnamon Kashi is a more fair comparison to Apple Jacks.

But yes, the same fiber, protein, etc. as the plain Kashi.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Some people like apple jacks.
    Some people think Kashi tastes like animal feed.
    The majority verdict: Kashi for nutrition, AJ for taste
    Choice in cereal = level of maturity.
    Being an adult means your taste buds are no longer infant, child, prepubescent, or adolescent taste buds...therefore "children's food" should undoubtedly taste vile to you.
    Cereal causes cancer.

My favorite cereal is dry Lucky Charms. I eat all of the cereal first and then enjoy the marshmallows all at once separately.

Does this say that I'm childish because Lucky Charms? Or adultish because I do my work first and then I get my reward? (I've always wondered about this question. Glad there's finally an MFP thread that will likely answer it for me.)