How old were you when you first shot a gun...

Options

Replies

• leahfit77
    leahfit77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Never...I'm more of a hippy *kitten*. But maybe someday!
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    6 my dad was a range master for the police department ..... I can remember picking up the brass for mad dad to re fill the Ammo.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    young kid, not sure how old.
  • bound2bfit
    bound2bfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    23 my husband started working at the shooting range. My first gun I used was Sig Saur 45! I loved shooting it so much I bought my own HK 40 soon after!
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I want to say 7 or 8 with the good ol .22 and have kept moving up to bigger and bigger guns. that .300 win mag is fun as hell to shoot
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    18 or so. Shooting is wonderful stress relief along with all the other things one can do. I always wanted to try biathlon, but it just hasn't happened. Those people are amazing athletes.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I was 28. A friend who was a policeman took me shooting with his .45. I was scared, and, though aiming for the chest, consistently shot out the area where the testicles would be if man targets had testicles. I've gotten a lot better since then!
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I was 8 and my grandpa guided me through shooting some sort of rifle, killed my shoulder lol. And then our church youth group went to a shooting range (im from the deep south if you cant tell.) and were trained by a cop on how to shoot various pistols and a .22. Pretty cool, dont own a gun myself though.
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    never have - and i'm 30 this year
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    .22 and 20ga in Cub Scouts 9,10,11 somewhere in there. First hunting trip around 12-13.
    Took my 11y.o. daughter shooting this past summer with a 20ga she won at a local Delta Waterfowl Banquet.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    davidcliff wrote: »
    .22 and 20ga in Cub Scouts 9,10,11 somewhere in there. First hunting trip around 12-13.
    Took my 11y.o. daughter shooting this past summer with a 20ga she won at a local Delta Waterfowl Banquet.

that's awesome
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    In my late 20s, at the range with my now-husband. We've gone a few times together since. He really wants a gun of his own, but I've told him I don't want one in the house because I have a short temper and excellent aim...and I would feel real bad after shooting him.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I was maybe 41 or so. I'm 46 now. My ex and his uncle took me to a shooting range and taught me. I was a really good shot but I jumped whenever anyone else fired. The first gun was a .22. The second was some kind of revolver but I didn't like that one. One day I'd like to have one at home before that right gets taken away.
  • Justn7883
    Justn7883 Posts: 4,764 Member
    Options
    I was 10 with my dad. Was a ruger .22. I was SO worried what my mom would say! She didn't like guns.
  • matthewd88
    matthewd88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    5 it was a .45 cal muzzleloader :D had black powder coming out my nose for awhile after
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here scratching my head at how everyone else seems to think children firing guns is a good thing?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Yep !
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    9 or 10, dad bought me my first shotgun at 13, which I still use 46 years later. Shooting is a great sport, so many ways to do it and challenge yourself, plus the social aspect of it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Am I the only one here scratching my head at how everyone else seems to think children firing guns is a good thing?

This isn't a political thread. If you don't understand now you never will, but teaching children responsibility is part of raising responsible adults, and you can better believe that teaching children to shoot requires plenty of supervision.