How old were you when you first shot a gun...

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Most countries don't trust their citizens...

Meaning???
  • Steam_Powered_Awesome
    Steam_Powered_Awesome Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was 17 and it was a .45
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My dad was a gun safety instructor, I never touched a gun until after I took the course at age 11. After that I shot a .410, a .22, .30-30, 20ga, 12ga, and .30-06.
    Have always had a healthy respect for firearms though. I see too many people treat them lightly and not emphasize the fact that a gun is not a toy. I actually think that is more common in people that come to guns later in life than those that have families with a history of gun ownership. Most people I know that grew up with guns can be pretty strict about how they are handled. (As it should be)
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Early teens. Went out with my dad and shot a variety of guns down in the Mojave desert but not sure what kinds. All sorts from handguns, to hunting rifles to some kind of AR. Such an amazing blast.

Getting back into it now in my late 30s. Would recommend for anyone to try it at least once, take a safety class, teach your kids, etc...despite some of the 'boohoo gunz r evill' comments on here. If anything, just the sporting aspect alone is an incredible feeling.
  • Forciblyfit4fifty
    Forciblyfit4fifty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    48 years old and have never shot a gun
  • Comms0p
    Comms0p Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Think I was about 10 or 11. Not sure if it was the .22 or a 410 Guage. All I know it was for target shooting - for my older brothers to check if I could go duck hunting with them.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Fetus.
  • BaconBae
    BaconBae Posts: 4,568 Member
    Options
    17 - it was a shotgun of some sort with the Wildlife Conservation dude at the airport when I was interning as a senior. I shot a big duck egg or something like that. I hit it on the first shot, but the impact of the shot almost killed my right shoulder.

Then went to a range with a friend in my late 20s and used a pistol of some kind and a rifle of some kind too. I just liked shooting.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Fetus.

Did you shoot your way out of the womb?
  • nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    About 10. Dad's a retired police sergeant and firearm instructer. Now I hunt so it made it useful.
  • nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    About 10. Dad's a retired police sergeant and firearm instructer. Now I hunt so it made it useful.

Instructor*
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Fetus.

Did you shoot your way out of the womb?

Hell yes! No need to cut the umbilical cord; I shot that b*tch.

• ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    46 and I still have never even touched a gun. No desire or need to. In the case of a zombie apocalypse, I'm screwed. Living in America, I think we have far to many guns and people are far too fascinated with them. My humble opinion of course. I hope to make my entire life without ever needing to touch one.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't remember exactly but I think around age 10. It was a handgun but I have not idea what caliber or kind. 10 was a long time ago for me.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and I haven't yet, but want to. My dad never got into hunting or guns or any of that so I wasn't really exposed to them as a kid.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    46 and I still have never even touched a gun. No desire or need to. In the case of a zombie apocalypse, I'm screwed. Living in America, I think we have far to many guns and people are far too fascinated with them. My humble opinion of course. I hope to make my entire life without ever needing to touch one.

Please don't touch one. It's far too serious of a responsibility
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »

Please don't touch one. It's far too serious of a responsibility

+1

As for the last part of hoping to never need to touch one. We ALL feel that way. We all hope that we will never need to use it in that way.
    Frankly I'm quite content with just going shooting up in the mountains with my family. But I will be ready in case that moment happens.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    "We ALL feel that way" - I'm not so sure, I get a sense there are many who relish the idea of shooting a burglar.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Not American
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Not American

Ever hear of Holland & Holland? Absolutely gorgeous side-by-sides, and the craftsmanship is stunning. Don't be fooled. Your country just doesn't want the middling sort shooting