Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carbs cause cancer - Scientific proof

TaraTall
TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
<sarcasmfont>BULLETIN! BULLETIN!

So finally, here is proof that carbs cause cancer.

canadajournal.net/health/new-research-says-carbs-cause-lung-cancer-44375-2016/

</sarcasmfont>

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,097 Member
    This is the problem with the media. They have no understanding of the difference between causation and correlation.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    It's really disappointing. Weightloss is already such a huge market, let's over-inform and mis-inform people looking to better themselves.
    =(
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Well I can say that everyone I know who has had cancer has also eaten carbs. It must be true.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Must be true, they quote Dr Oz
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited March 2016
    Everyone eats carbs. Not everyone gets cancer.

Sounds pretty suspect to me.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Cancer is a crab.

xq7upvqpobbb.jpg
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    richln wrote: »
    Cancer is a crab.

xq7upvqpobbb.jpg

jf0e4.jpg
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Gotta love a media article that:
    1. Treats correlation like causation
    2. Treats Dr. Oz like his opinion is actually worth listening to
    3. Doesn't cite any sources or authors
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I saw this article splashed all over the news website I visit today. It made me sigh heartily.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    LoL recently I was asking in other thread why is there so much mis-information and people actively trying to mislead and general consensus was to make money or people genuinely not knowing right from wrong. Everyone runs to internet for information and internet has these articles.

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    I am confused where the journal article is for the media story. This is a huge red flag because if the study hasn't been published it may be due to questionable methods. Also the media is awful at misrepresenting study findings. In grad school we used to pull a media story with the actual journal article and compare the two. It was laughable how bad they usually were.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    When the article has something to do with Dr Oz, then it must be true.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    One retrospective study does not make it a fact. It just makes the news. Over 80% of all the cancer patients treated at the center I work at smoke. Over a billion Asians eat white rice and how many people in Italy eat white pasta. They are not dropping dead from cancer by the thousands.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Citation, for anyone who is interested. From U Texas Med Center. http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/25/3/532.abstract
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    when I saw dr. oz I decided it was time to stop reading..

I am sure some will pick up on this as way to demonize carbs…what a joke...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Citation, for anyone who is interested. From U Texas Med Center. http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/25/3/532.abstract

I would be curious what the diet, exercise, and lifestyle of these people were like…my guess would be there were other factors….

trying to link high carb intake with lung cancer is ridiculous...
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    This is the problem with the media. They have no understanding of the difference between causation and correlation.

wait, so you're saying that Nicholas Cage appearances in movies are NOT the cause of pool drownings?!
    http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

I... I need some time to reflect on all of this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

wait, so you're saying that Nicholas Cage appearances in movies are NOT the cause of pool drownings?!
    http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

I... I need some time to reflect on all of this.

No, Nicholas Cage is always to blame.

Probably for obesity and T2D and cancer, too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    aub6689 wrote: »
    I am confused where the journal article is for the media story. This is a huge red flag because if the study hasn't been published it may be due to questionable methods. Also the media is awful at misrepresenting study findings. In grad school we used to pull a media story with the actual journal article and compare the two. It was laughable how bad they usually were.

I see someone posted the link below. After reading the article I still don't understand their explanation of the results. GI was correlated, but GL was not. They said that GI raised blood glucose levels, which spoiled insulin, which lead to the increased risk of cancer (apparently I need to read the article again because I still don't get that link). Except because the foods weren't consumed individually but as meals, GL would give a better indication of what would actually happen to blood glucose. And it showed no association no matter how they broke down the data (and there were a fair number of comparisons).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Oh no!!!!! I live in Italy! Gonna die!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.