Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carbs cause cancer - Scientific proof

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    <sarcasmfont>BULLETIN! BULLETIN!

So finally, here is proof that carbs cause cancer.

canadajournal.net/health/new-research-says-carbs-cause-lung-cancer-44375-2016/

</sarcasmfont>

</sarcasmfont>

@TaraTall would you post the link that offers proof that carbs cause cancer. The above article title is, "Depressing Study Says Carbs Increase ‘lung Cancer’ Risk" which is not proof of causation.

It is well understood cancer needs glucose to spread so naturally any food source that gets converted to glucose may increase the risk of cancer development but I have never seen any research that states eating bread or any other source of carbs "causes" cancer. Editors are less than honest sometimes. The caption under the phone that reads: "A New Research Says Carbs Could Cause Lung Cancer" is a false statement in my view only to get us to read the article.

No, cancer does not need glucose to spread. Cancer appears capable of fat adaptation.
    http://neuro-oncology.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/suppl_5/v21.1.full
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

</sarcasmfont>

</sarcasmfont>

@TaraTall would you post the link that offers proof that carbs cause cancer. The above article title is, "Depressing Study Says Carbs Increase ‘lung Cancer’ Risk" which is not proof of causation.

It is well understood cancer needs glucose to spread so naturally any food source that gets converted to glucose may increase the risk of cancer development but I have never seen any research that states eating bread or any other source of carbs "causes" cancer. Editors are less than honest sometimes. The caption under the phone that reads: "A New Research Says Carbs Could Cause Lung Cancer" is a false statement in my view only to get us to read the article.

No, cancer does not need glucose to spread. Cancer appears capable of fat adaptation.

Thank you.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

</sarcasmfont>

</sarcasmfont>

Cancer can go on keto?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

</sarcasmfont>

</sarcasmfont>

Cancer can go on keto?

Evidently. In truth, much of the early research on the idea that cancer needs glucose is based on rat brain tumors. Now, given that brains seem to have a strong need to use glucose and don't seem to tolerate alternative fuels well, could the type of original cell be a factor in studies claiming cancers require glucose? Huhm.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

</sarcasmfont>

</sarcasmfont>

Cancer can go on keto?

Evidently. In truth, much of the early research on the idea that cancer needs glucose is based on rat brain tumors. Now, given that brains seem to have a strong need to use glucose and don't seem to tolerate alternative fuels well, could the type of original cell be a factor in studies claiming cancers require glucose? Huhm.

The brain is capable of fat adaptation too, and possibly some degree of gluconeogenesis.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8264572
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Oh great. First it's protein. Now it's carbs. I guess I'm going on an all-fat diet. Oh but wait! Eating fat makes you fat! I guess a water-based diet is the only way to go. :neutral:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    momo_t90 wrote: »
    Oh great. First it's protein. Now it's carbs. I guess I'm going on an all-fat diet. Oh but wait! Eating fat makes you fat! I guess a water-based diet is the only way to go. :neutral:

You could go with breatharian.
  • momo_t90
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

You could go with breatharian.

I could respond to that, but it'd be very mean to a certain group of people on this forum and I don't want to hurt their feelings.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Vodka is neither fat nor carb nor protein.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    • Headline: Depressing Study Says Carbs Increase ‘lung Cancer’ Risk
    • Lede: Eating too many carbohydrates such as potatoes, bagels or cereal increases the risk for lung cancer,
    • Follow up statement: Researchers have found that people who eat a diet with a high glycemic index – bagels, white rice, pasta and potatoes we’re looking at you – are up to twice as likely to suffer from lung cancer than those who don’t.

Also, stupid media people, eating carbs =/= eating too many carbs =/= a diet with high glycemic index.

These are three different things. They're all related to carbs, sure, but they're not the same thing. Kale is carbs. So why not add "Scientists have found that eating kale causes cancer."

This is one of the things about health journalism (and the way most people consume health journalism) bugs me. People seem to willfully misunderstand the difference between participation, excess, and failure to discriminate by quality.

Eg., if studies show that eating a crapton of processed meat increases your risk of certain types of cancers, some people are in a big effin' hurry to interpret that as either no one should ever eat any processed meat under any circumstances, or everybody should give up all meat, of all types, all the time.

Similarly, if studies show that eating beyond a commonsensical amount of sugary food has certain metabolic disadvantages, then that must also mean that everyone must give up cookies forever, and/or also must cut back on eating whole fruits because FROOT HAS SOOOO MUCH SHOOGAR! SHOOGAR IS BAD M'KAY?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    • Headline: Depressing Study Says Carbs Increase ‘lung Cancer’ Risk
    • Lede: Eating too many carbohydrates such as potatoes, bagels or cereal increases the risk for lung cancer,
    • Follow up statement: Researchers have found that people who eat a diet with a high glycemic index – bagels, white rice, pasta and potatoes we’re looking at you – are up to twice as likely to suffer from lung cancer than those who don’t.

Also, stupid media people, eating carbs =/= eating too many carbs =/= a diet with high glycemic index.

These are three different things. They're all related to carbs, sure, but they're not the same thing. Kale is carbs. So why not add "Scientists have found that eating kale causes cancer."

This is one of the things about health journalism (and the way most people consume health journalism) bugs me. People seem to willfully misunderstand the difference between participation, excess, and failure to discriminate by quality.

Eg., if studies show that eating a crapton of processed meat increases your risk of certain types of cancers, some people are in a big effin' hurry to interpret that as either no one should ever eat any processed meat under any circumstances, or everybody should give up all meat, of all types, all the time.

Similarly, if studies show that eating beyond a commonsensical amount of sugary food has certain metabolic disadvantages, then that must also mean that everyone must give up cookies forever, and/or also must cut back on eating whole fruits because FROOT HAS SOOOO MUCH SHOOGAR! SHOOGAR IS BAD M'KAY?
    Exactly.

• momo_t90
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

Vodka is neither fat nor carb nor protein.

You're a life-saver!!! Thank you!!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

</sarcasmfont>

</sarcasmfont>

@senecarr thanks. That link does indeed support brain cancer can use ketones for energy. The below is more support that keto diets are not a cure for cancer.

You will find more info how keto diets do not work for curing cancer in general. The late Dr. Gonzalez can be seen in the embedded video stating that Dr. Atkins had decided keto diets did not cure cancer as well.

chrisbeatcancer.com/dr-gonzalez-dismantles-ketogenic-diet-for-cancer/

Below is the actual link to the embedded video in the above link.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=t0i-AdCm-Mg&feature=youtu.be&list=UUwbrSKPyqtgolrRKcrfjRFQ

While we know keto way of eating can be helpful in some people to manage pain, diabetes, blood pressure, blood glucose levels, etc it does not seem to be a direct cure for cancer even per Dr. Atkins who was father of the low carb way of eating.

While I am using nutritional ketosis diet to manage my pain and to start improving my health/health markers in my case it may be helpful to prevent cancer and other health issues by just enabling me to become more resistant to disease due to having a stronger immune system but I have not seen any medical research on the long term effects of KD as I recall.

• momo_t90
    Options
    Side story: I posted to my news feed that I'm going on an alcohol-based diet, and the next ad I see says "Drinking too much wine?" lol
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=WUlE1VHGA40

Dr. Craig Thompson the president of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is talking about cancer risks from different types of calories. It supports how LCHF lowers the risk of cancer in humans. Go to 26:30 for the lead in and the slide is at 27:00 on the video.

Clearly the type of calories is important when it comes to cancer risks. Based on this we may all agree that not all calories are equal when it comes to human health but are energywise in a lab.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    cancerci.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2867-9-14

Discussion on how LCHF way of eating does not cure cancer but ketones can potentially slow its growth.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why is it that due to research, cancer rates are falling, where as sugar intake is increasing?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Why is it that due to research, cancer rates are falling, where as sugar intake is increasing?
    My guess is that overall, early treatment and detection are the main causes (assuming that cancer rates are indeed decreasing). But it doesn't mean that diet isn't playing a negative role.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Though the URL says "cause" I didn't see anything in the article that said carbs cause cancer. It said "increases risk".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    khpsrt wrote: »
    If this was true then almost the whole world would have been suffering with cancer .

Not so. Many people smoke and never develop cancer, that doesn't mean that smoking does increase your risk of cancer.

This discussion has been closed.