Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carbs cause cancer - Scientific proof

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    This thread gave me cancer.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Seriously, what doesn't cause cancer?

Fiber

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science/Too-much-fibre-harms-the-colon

Not saying I'm worried about it, but it really does seem that everything has been linked to cancer.

One blurb about ambiguous data with zero research sited?

The point is simply that when people say they don't know what to think because everything has been linked to cancer, that's true, at least when we talk about the popular media. No wonder (some) people feel confused or buy into all kinds of faddish things.

Oh, okay. Yeah, if we are including someone ever saying publicly that there might be a link to cancer, then that would cover pretty much everything. Silly me.

Well it will possibly make you more likely to die once you have the cancer:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2559896

I did see that when trying to validate the fiber causes cancer post above. Different subject and hopefully data I'll never personally need <fingers crossed>.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Josh_lol wrote: »
    This thread gave me cancer.

It's just given me a headache, but that's probably a sign of cancer.

Plus, it may drive me to smoking.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    There is more unknowns about cancer than knowns so there is going to be a lot of confusion. At least it is good to know per Dr. Thompson eating fats does not raise our cancer risk where carbs and protein to some extent can have some associated cancer risk factors.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    There is more unknowns about cancer than knowns so there is going to be a lot of confusion. At least it is good to know per Dr. Thompson eating fats does not raise our cancer risk where carbs and protein to some extent can have some associated cancer risk factors.

So basically you will find some doctor who says what you want, ignore all other information, and keep repeating that endlessly. Whatever works for you!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    fats are my favorite food group so I'm happy with that
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    I think it's erroneous to put "carbs" all in one category, but it's been long proven that refined carbs like sugar and flour do in fact cause cancer, which shouldn't be too surprising considering that they aren't a natural part of the human diet. This isn't news, because it's nothing new. The book Sugar Blues opened my eyes years ago, and research continues to confirm it more and more.

As a side note, they also cause wrinkles by breaking down your collagen.

Also, almost every disease/aging process is related to inflammation throughout the body, and inflammation is hugely increased by refined carbs. It's just bad for your entire body.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    I think it's erroneous to put "carbs" all in one category, but it's been long proven that refined carbs like sugar and white flour do in fact cause cancer, which shouldn't be too surprising considering that they aren't a natural part of the human diet. This isn't news, because it's nothing new. The book Sugar Blues opened my eyes years ago, and research continues to confirm it more and more.

Citation needed.

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    don't smoke carbs, not even once.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I think it's erroneous to put "carbs" all in one category, but it's been long proven that refined carbs like sugar and white flour do in fact cause cancer, which shouldn't be too surprising considering that they aren't a natural part of the human diet. This isn't news, because it's nothing new. The book Sugar Blues opened my eyes years ago, and research continues to confirm it more and more.

Do you know what "refined sugar" is?
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    and the fork made me fat
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Wow, throwing all your eggs in a single radical basket. Hope that works out well for you.
  • Gamliela

Do you know what "refined sugar" is?

let me take a stab at this one. Sugar was once lost because of the book 'sugar blues'. We need to refind sugar and this is one of the few persons who knows where it is located but she isn't telling, having read the book.

• lisawinning4losing
    If I give you a citation, you'll just say that it's not credible, even if it's published in a peer reviewed scientific journal. I'm not playing that game anymore, because that can go on all day. Just do your own research, and form your own opinions. I've given some thoughts that should help to formulate a few Google searches for anyone who's interested.
  • Gamliela
    I think it's erroneous to put "carbs" all in one category, but it's been long proven that refined carbs like sugar and flour do in fact cause cancer, which shouldn't be too surprising considering that they aren't a natural part of the human diet. This isn't news, because it's nothing new. The book Sugar Blues opened my eyes years ago, and research continues to confirm it more and more.

Also, almost every disease/aging process is related to inflammation throughout the body, and inflammation is hugely increased by refined carbs. It's just bad for your entire body.

I agree, all carbs are not the same.

Have you seen those recipies for facial sugar masks? Evidently its good for exfoliating skin? Go figure?

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Sunscreen isn't natural.
  • lisawinning4losing
    edited March 2016
    I personally don't use sugar for exfoliating, but it could be used as an exfoliant only because it's a grainy substance like sand. That has nothing to do with the affect it has on your body when you ingest it. Surely you understand the difference.

Also, you don't use masks for exfoliating. You're talking about a scrub, not a mask.
  • Gamliela
    But I got a hangnail and it bled and then it got inflamed and my doctor said that i flamation is HEALING it!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    If I give you a citation, you'll just say that it's not credible, even if it's published in a peer reviewed scientific journal. I'm not playing that game anymore, because that can go on all day. Just do your own research, and form your own opinions. I've given some thoughts that should help to formulate a few Google searches for anyone who's interested.

Science tends to use cautious language. If you wanted to say you have peer reviewed journal studies that show an epideomeological correlation between refined carb consumption and some types of cancer, contention given would be near zero.
  • Gamliela
    aww, I WANTED to blame the carbs!
This discussion has been closed.