Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    I've never liked the taste of it, especially since that's all I was allowed to drink as a kid. I'll put it in milk or scrambled eggs and use it while baking, but that's it.

Now, cheese/yogurt/sour cream/ice cream? Mmmmmm.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Aside from eliminating milk due to a diet, calories, sugar, etc. The very first thing I would ask is why are so many people intolerant to dairy products? That has to say something about the types of products people are consuming.

No, it's genetic.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I don't drink cow's milk: that said I absolutely fit in almond milk as it's a lower calorie alternative and a great source of calcium!! BUT: I should say that I'm a big believer of NOT drinking your calories..meaning juice of any kind, alcohol, and yes unfortunately sometimes milk fall in there as well (especially if I have my eyes on a special something I would like to fit into my calorie count).
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I drink skimmed milk to add colour to tea or coffee, but I just wanted to comment regarding added sugars. I appreciate that many (most?) users of MFP are in North America, and your systems may be different, but in the UK sugar is not added as part of the skimming process. Flavoured milk may have added sugar, but that's not generally what we refer to as skimmed milk and if I was buying chocolate milk I would expect sugar to be a part of that because 'chocolate'.

There's a PDF download at http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=197 that shows the nutrition of dairy products.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I drink it every day! Love the protein, the calcium, and the taste. I just work it into my calorie count.

California almond farms are not sustainable. They are draining the aquafir fasting than it can replenish. So I won't buy almonds or almond milk.

Soymilk may have carcinogens. I don't want to be a guinea pig for that.

A glass of chocolate milk is one of the best recovery drinks after a long run (though I only indulge in that pleasure if the run was 10 miles or more).
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    nice little infographic of how milk stacks up against the plant based substitutes
    30310201.jpg
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    nice little infographic of how milk stacks up against the plant based substitutes
    30310201.jpg

Lot of good stuff in that pus :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    rca27801 wrote: »
    I don't get it. I can understand not liking milk, but to exclude it solely because of dieting purposes? Am I missing something.

Milk is such an easy way to get in your protein. Fairlife milk provides me with 13 grams of protein per cup. If you love milk, I don't see any reason to stop drinking it.

You don't have to stop drinking it if you love it.
    I like to eat my calories not drink them. I find chewing more satisfying than drinking. I choose to drink mostly water or unsweetened tea and save the calories for food.
    I don't love drinking milk though. It wasn't something I ever did on a daily basis. If I loved it then I would still include it more often.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    rsenor wrote: »
    I don't do milk because I'm lactose intolerant, but honestly also because I have just begun to find that drinking another species breast milk is rather gross. Something hit me at one point...would I drink human breast milk or eat human-breast milk made cheese? No...

I should clarify I am not vegan - I still eat meat- but milk just icks me out. It potentially has pus. Eeew.

No it doesn't. Cow's milk doesn't have pus, nor is it allowed to. The FDA did studies and found that there was no pus found in milk, period.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Personally, I hate the taste of milk and don't waste my calories on liquids. I do eat dairy though, I love cheese!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My husband is lactose intolerant and my kids are little enough that they are still on whole milk. Lactaid milk is super freakin sweet and I don't like it. Whole milk is too calorie dense and hard to fit in my alotment (especially when for the same amount of calories I can have a beer). I really just don't want to buy a 3rd type of milk (and I can't have the nut milks because of allergies). I do eat whole milk yogurt almost daily, though. I have noticed that if I over do it on yogurt or cheese I retain mad water for like 4 days. Not giving it up though.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm not excluding it but I rarely have it. I found I enjoy almond milk more and it makes me less gassy and bloated.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I haven't had cow's milk in 10 years. Only because when I was breastfeeding we found out my daughter was allergic to it. She's never had cow's milk. We've been fine without it. I now have PCOS and starting to cut other dairy products. We're fine without it. There are other sources for protein and calcium. ^_^
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I drink milk and I lose weight. But my stomach is sensitive to texture so I usually have it as yogurt or Kefir.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I drink skimmed milk to add colour to tea or coffee, but I just wanted to comment regarding added sugars. I appreciate that many (most?) users of MFP are in North America, and your systems may be different, but in the UK sugar is not added as part of the skimming process.

No, it's absolutely not added to normal (non flavored) skim or low fat fat in the US either (and I am sure not in Canada). It's something that many seem to believe, without any evidence or reason to do so (and contrary to the label if one were to read it). Drives me crazy.

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I drink skimmed milk to add colour to tea or coffee, but I just wanted to comment regarding added sugars. I appreciate that many (most?) users of MFP are in North America, and your systems may be different, but in the UK sugar is not added as part of the skimming process.

No, it's absolutely not added to normal (non flavored) skim or low fat fat in the US either (and I am sure not in Canada). It's something that many seem to believe, without any evidence or reason to do so (and contrary to the label if one were to read it). Drives me crazy.

Thank you! I shall move this information from my "Fashion" (they do it over there but they don't do it here) folder to my "Woo" folder ;-)

https://youtu.be/GA27aQZCQMk
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Possibly because an 8oz glass of milk is from 125-150 calories? Also some may have issues with digestion of lactose when taken by itself.
    People make changes in their diets due to cost too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I drink 80 grams/ml with bread meals, and use 100 grams in porridge/pudding/smoothie and 30 grams in potato/sweet potato mash. I use only whole milk and find the taste:satiety:price:macro ratio very reasonable.

Woo is a much more common issue than *real* intolerances.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    rca27801 wrote: »
    I don't get it. I can understand not liking milk, but to exclude it solely because of dieting purposes? Am I missing something.

Milk is such an easy way to get in your protein. Fairlife milk provides me with 13 grams of protein per cup. If you love milk, I don't see any reason to stop drinking it.

You don't have to stop drinking it if you love it.
    I like to eat my calories not drink them. I find chewing more satisfying than drinking. I choose to drink mostly water or unsweetened tea and save the calories for food.
    I don't love drinking milk though. It wasn't something I ever did on a daily basis. If I loved it then I would still include it more often.

This is the main issue for me. If I'm hungry, milk really wouldn't cut it. I'd rather have the calories for something I can actually eat. But if people have the calories to use, why not?
    Have to say, I was really surprised to see that milk is considered such a hot-button issue!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    i love milk but i don't have to eliminate it for it not to appear in my diary very often. i just don't drink it much regularly. what, are grown adults sitting around the dinner table pouring themselves a tall glass of milk to eat with their steak? i pour it in my Cocoa Pebbles and I use it as an ingredient when I'm cooking pancakes, occasionally i mix my protein powder with chocolate milk. other than that....it just sits in my fridge.

what it is NOT is a convenient way to get protein while you're cutting. full fat milk is calorie dense for the protein it provides and skim milk tastes like sadness. 2% is tolerable....but what's even the point?

Love this @DavPul ! "What adult sits around drinking milk? I put it on my Cocoa Pebbles!" ;) But I agree. I don't avoid milk- I use it in lots of things- just don't drink it all that much. Hard enough for me to get my water in.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Possibly because an 8oz glass of milk is from 125-150 calories? Also some may have issues with digestion of lactose when taken by itself.
    People make changes in their diets due to cost too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I drink 80 grams/ml with bread meals, and use 100 grams in porridge/pudding/smoothie and 30 grams in potato/sweet potato mash. I use only whole milk and find the taste:satiety:price:macro ratio very reasonable.

Woo is a much more common issue than *real* intolerances.

I assure you that lactose intolerance is both very real and quite common, especially among certain populations