Where do YOU shop for groceries?

Options

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Mainly Kroger's, Sam's club and Trader Joes, occasionally at Walmart. I like the selections at Whole Foods, but hate that they won't accept a personal check....I like to track how much I spend on groceries. I would love to belong to a co-op though. I live in the Hoosier state.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    only non big named regular store in our area is mom's organic and they are ridiculously over-priced so i mostly shop at; target (they have decent food choices these days at ours, they finally carry Amy's frozen meals/bowls!), giant for mostly produce/dairy and always at nuts.com for drink mixes/nuts/yummy snacks/cereals/pastas/teas/etc). On occasion at sam's club as well.

i would love to shop at trader joe's but, it's like 1 1/2 hours away from us and traffic makes it over a 2hr drive..am jealous of those that have one near them!
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I shop at Redner's, Wegman's, Trader Joes, Sometimes I will pick up a few things at Giant.
  • jayj1982
    jayj1982 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In Vermont, I mostly shop at Shaws. It's the closest grocery store within 25 minutes of driving. If I expand to 35-40 minutes, I could also get to Hannafords, Trader Joes, Walmart, and some co-ops.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Trader joes for a lot of my favorites

Carly cs (incredibly cheaper meat prices like less than half what other grocers charge),

a little at Food Lion since it's close,

Target,

only a few things occasionally from Whole Foods like bulk items that are still not so easily found,

Aldi sometimes depending on their stock and whether it's past use by date....

other stores like Kroger and Harris teeter only occasionally if I'm near one.

Lowe's Foods although less now that we moved and not near one.

Asian market for super cheap greens, tofu and sometimes other things.

Walmart as little as possible. They are much more expensive for almost all items and their meat and produce sucks really bad to the point of sometimes being rotten in the store (the smell omg) - but they do have the lowest price on my shredded wheat n bran cereal and sometimes on laughing cow cheese. I stock up so I dont have to go in there much.

I'm in NC south of Raleigh. Oh and farmers markets are generally way overpriced here. Occasionally you see a little real farmstand where they have decent prices.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Off the continent completely Canada:

Sobeys, Dominion, Piper's, Bulk Barn, and my ILs buy me stuff from Costco.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I hate grocery shopping because it's an all-day deal. Shop the sales, which usually includes a minimum of 3 stores. Then we do Sam's Club, then Aldi, then Wal-Mart. If it's Saturday, we go to the Sarah Lee outlet shop for bread. So annoying.

My friends are all jealous, they wish their husbands would go shopping with them. I tell them to be careful what they wish for. LOL I would love to do the shopping by myself, but my husband, I think sometimes he used to be female in a past life or something because he loves shopping. He gets all silly and giddy over deals. It's gotten a little better because our twins are old enough to stay home now, so at least I don't have to deal with their constant whining and complaining. We used to dub shopping day, The Misery Tour.

Luckily, the all-day shopping is usually only once, maybe twice a month. Weekly, we do Aldi and Walmart, unless someone has a good deal on something somewhere.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I do 80% of my shopping at Whole Foods. Or as my mother used to call it; "Whole Paychecks" hahaha! Even though it is expensive I prefer to shop there for their huge variety of vegan options. Plus I like knowing where my food comes from, how it was grown, under what conditions. They even give you information on the original source of some grains, seeds, etc. I don't really go to Trader Joe's much as I don't like how most of their food is pre-packages and frozen. During the summer months I shop the local farmer's markets for my fruits and vegetables. When I need to pick up a few staples or if I don't have much time I just go to my local Shaw's Supermarket. I also tend to shop at a few of my local health-food stores.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I think it's so interesting how every state/country has different grocery stores. I shop at Target, Aldi, HyVee, Cub Foods, Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Lunds & Byerlys. Where do you guys shop?

I dont find this interesting at all.....
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I mainly shop at Meijer since I know just about where everything is in the store. Kroger for sales, particularly BOGO meat sales. In the Summer time, most of my produce comes from the Farmer's Markets or whatever farm produce stand I may happen to pass. Not strictly a store, but if you're lucky enough to have easy access to fresh and local, why not take advantage?
  • Joanie456
    Joanie456 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I shop at the local Fareway and Walmart Super Store --I seldom get to larger towns to try Sam's or Hy-Vee--I live in Iowa
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Shop Rite and Acme mostly depending on the sales. Wegmans and Trader Joe's when I want something specific there. Whole Foods once in a blue moon. Target when I'm there and there is a good sale on something, but the grocery section is pretty limited at mine.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Here in Toronto I do shop a lot at the common grocery chains (4 are within walking distance) and once a month or so make a run to Costco.

But we also buy a lot of groceries at the Asian Markets/Grocers (T&T, Al Premium, Sunnymart). The produce typically is nicer but more importantly, prices are much cheaper for staples that would be considered "exotic" in a standard grocery store if they carried them at all. Mushrooms (shitake, king oyster, oyster, beech) would be less than 1/2 price. Same with the greens. Of course, we wouldn't find amaranth or snow pea greens outside these stores. Same with some of the roots like Galangal or lesser galangal. This is where we'd also get our jackfruit, soursop, longan....

I'm in Ottawa so finding things like different curry pastes, better basmati rice, and some Asian ingredients a challenge...we have a T&T thank goodness! I go and stock up the pantry (and get a huge sushi platter as a treat too!)
    I was thrilled when I discovered galangal @ Superstore!!!
    For the usual groceries I tend to go to Food Basics, Superstore, Walmart, and Farm Boy (a more upscale grocer in the Ottawa region).
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Krogers and HEB
    Krogers is within walking distance and had a decent selection and clearance rack.
    HEB is where I like to go on the weekends for my grocery shopping.
    Trader Joe's is a nice, rare treat.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think it's so interesting how every state/country has different grocery stores. I shop at Target, Aldi, HyVee, Cub Foods, Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Lunds & Byerlys. Where do you guys shop?

^^Minnesotan, right?

Cub, Target and Sam's. A HyVee is opening by work soon and I will probably stop by when it does.
    Buy a lot of meat @ Von Hanson's
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wegmans! The best grocery store ever. :smiley:
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    For standard shopping Wemgans and Costco. Giant if I'm at my boyfriend's house. Then trips to specialty stores once ever few months - h-Mart, a Sri Lankan grocer (my boyfriend is Sri Lankan and won't eat American/western rice. Ever.), and an Indian grocer. In the summer we add a farmer's market to the mix.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    DFW

Whole Foods, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Trader Joe's, Central Market, Fresh Market, Target (maybe once or twice a year).

Farmer's market when there's local stuff in season I want and don't mind going out of my way and paying at least supermarket prices to get (tomatoes, sweet potatoes, watermelon). I'll also pick up other produce. It's usually been shipped in but the prices are the same as the supermarket for the most part, and it's convenient if I'm already there. Plus local eggs (pretty cheap), and any other local food products that pop up and look promising - it's always a surprise.