Where do YOU shop for groceries?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Target sells groceries? Do they have self-checkout?

What is Aldi comparable to? Trader Joe's?

My Target has a grocery section but it's just 10 aisles or something.. 2 of frozen food, 2 of fresh produce/dairy, and the rest is packaged stuff... half of it snacks, candy, and cereal... They'll have basics but the selection is pretty bad.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Mostly Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods, occasionally will run into Vons/Ralphs if amazon/whole foods is out of an organic item.
  • KimmyJaneTD
    KimmyJaneTD Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    99% Aldis - I may pick up something from walmart or Target if I happen to be there already.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I shop mostly at Vallarta Supermarket, and Sprouts. The weekly specials at both of these places keep me well stocked with healthy food at a great price! The state I lived in previously, I shopped at Giant Eagle!
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town and all we have is a QFC (Kroger), but they are so expensive that it actually pays to drive about 35 miles away, once a month, to Wal-Mart first and Costco second. The only things I buy locally, are produce or when I need something right away.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    South Eastern Ontario, Canada - Loblaws for the widest selection and a one stop experience - if I have more time, I shop the local butchers, asian market, farmers market in the summer, Farm Boy for stuff thats on sale (its a store that sells ONLY food - no toilet paper, no swizzle sticks). Never Walmart, for labour relations reasons.
  • meredith1629
    meredith1629 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nashville, TN area here. I mainly shop at Kroger and Aldi. I purchase some specialty items online from Amazon, Lucky Vitamin, or Vitacost.

Sometimes I will swing by Walmart but I try to stay away from there. If I'm near Sam's I will get some things there. They have good prices on most veggies and fruits. I am really going to make an effort to get to the Farmer's Market this summer.

I'll occasionally make a run to Trader Joe's for a few items - maybe once a year. They have fantastic prices on tempeh and tofu and some other items.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Costco,Superstore , No Frills, Fresh Co
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Aldi has almost everything I need except for herbs. We live in a town with two whole foods, a trader joe's and several specialty grocery store, so our Aldi is stocked with good stuff to stay competitive.

Following Aldi I usually go to PriceRite. The stores I go to after those in order are: the Asian supermarket in town, Trader Joe's then Whole Foods.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wegmans, WalMart and Aldi. Also? I get a bunch of my regular stuff at Dollar Tree.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Target sells groceries? Do they have self-checkout?

What is Aldi comparable to? Trader Joe's?

Seconding what @Francl27 said about Target, ours is pretty much the same. Sometimes they have some stuff I wouldn't find other places though. They have this spinach and goat cheese pizza, hoooboy. I make my own pizzas now usually but looord that spinach and goat cheese pizza... (also our Target just recently got a self-checkout. You get like $0.10 off your total for every bag you bring in to use, too).
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    New Jersey here... I shop at Aldi and Shop Rite, Costco for the stuff it makes sense to buy in bulk (pretty much eggs, frozen berries and yogurt, that's it).

When the season comes, damned near everything comes from the farmer's markets and stands... one here has really sweet white corn, and can't beat a Jersey Tomato!!!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    WAnd im too nervous to try their food brands incase they taste terrible. .

They're brands are pretty much comparable to the big brands. I and many others have noticed no difference.

Now, for their produce - at least in my area - the quality is OK at best, but I go elsewhere. I've gotten my good share of (pardon the pun) bad apples there. Couldn't tell from the outside, but once you bit into them, brown.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Giant is the nearest grocery store, so we occasionally get some stuff there. Weekly trips to Produce Junction or farmers markets for veggies and fruit. Once a month trips to Wegman's and Trader Joe's for pantry items.
  • clang74
    clang74 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My wife and I shop at Aldi. Mostly due to her food allergy (she's legitimate Celiac). However, I find most of their food that computes as low-cal (Ground turkey, Chicken sausage, etc.) are significantly higher in calories than their grocery store, name-brand counterparts. I still use them, but I scan them prior to using them in recipes...
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nor'easterner here: Whole Foods (50%), local farmers market (15%), local/family/owned grocery store (25%) and Costco or TJs (10%).

In the warmer months, the farmers market percentage goes up and WF goes down. I'm also working on doing a larger percentage of my shopping (in dollars) to farmers market followed by family owned grocers.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Kroger
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Melbourne, Fl area. I shop at Aldi, Walmart, Sam's Club and Fresh Market(only a few things here, to expensive).
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I live near DC

wegmans, trader joes, whole foods, balducci's(reminds me of a smaller whole foods), MOMs organic market
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Krogers and HEB
    Krogers is within walking distance and had a decent selection and clearance rack.
    HEB is where I like to go on the weekends for my grocery shopping.
    Trader Joe's is a nice, rare treat.
    I forgot about this place, but I actually really like the vegetables at the 99 Cent Store. I bought a head of cauliflower for a dollar last week. The fruit selection is a lot more finicky but I've still picked up some good berries. If you don't mind a packaged product nearing the sell by date, also a pretty good spot to pick up seasonal treats. They had pumpkin pie Pop Tarts.

A mall around us has a Target. I might pick up some pantry goods, mostly tuna, if I stop by.