Always starving and hungry?

Options
12346»

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just to add a note on eating your calories back, common MFP advice is that you're actually supposed to eat them ALL back as the end goal (to zero things out and maintain the appropriate deficit for your defined goal), assuming perfect knowledge of the calorie burned. The reason for suggesting eating 50% is to account for over estimation of burn. The fact that you cut the burn in half and then ate 50% of that means you double cut.

Oh wow that makes sense!!! I didn't realize it was advised to eat back all the calories that were burned from exercise. I thought you were only suppose to eat 50% back and the other 50% would towards a loss. That would explain why I was so hungry then if I had 500 extra calories to eat. But I thought the point of exercise was to burn extra calories, not just to eat them all back? I always heard it was advised to not eat back all your exercise calories since that ruins the point of exercising in the first place and you lose your extra deficit.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1Kristine1 wrote: »
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Definitely crucial. Try upping your calories to like 1600 may help too

Thanks Kristine :) I ended up eating 1,600 calories in total and felt a lot better! So I will stick around 1,500-1,600 and even going to 1,700 if I'm extra hungry.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just a quick question, A hour after dinner I was still pretty hungry so I ended up eating two apples (220 calories) and one turkey sandwich (240 calories). I ended up at the end of the day eating a total of 2,040 calories (Yikes!! I'm not use to seeing such a huge number). But through exercise, the elliptical machine said I burned 860 calories, so I half it too 430 calories. 2,040-430 ends up being a total of 1610 calories. Is that how I'm suppose to be doing it? Eating all of the halfed exercise calories back? Or am I suppose to leave a portion of my exercise calories uneaten? I loved being able to eat so much food LOL! But I just want to make sure I'm doing it the correct way and not eating more than I should.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Just a quick question, A hour after dinner I was still pretty hungry so I ended up eating two apples (220 calories) and one turkey sandwich (240 calories). I ended up at the end of the day eating a total of 2,040 calories (Yikes!! I'm not use to seeing such a huge number). But through exercise, the elliptical machine said I burned 860 calories, so I half it too 430 calories. 2,040-430 ends up being a total of 1610 calories. Is that how I'm suppose to be doing it? Eating all of the halfed exercise calories back? Or am I suppose to leave a portion of my exercise calories uneaten? I loved being able to eat so much food LOL! But I just want to make sure I'm doing it the correct way and not eating more than I should.

Well, eating half like that is a reasonable strategy. If you still find hunger to be problematic you can look into eating 3/4 exercise cals. Give you current change a few weeks, see if this is more balanced.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options

Well, eating half like that is a reasonable strategy. If you still find hunger to be problematic you can look into eating 3/4 exercise cals. Give you current change a few weeks, see if this is more balanced.

Oh wow so I really am doing it right? :D I was worried I was eating back too much since 2,040 calories seems like a lot! I was a little sad earlier since I thought I ate way too much. I can't believe eating that much is considered a good strategy and it's reasonable, so I'm super happy. I can see why I was extremely starving before! I really was under eating by a huge amount. I tried to stay between 1,400-1,500 calories, then burn 500 at the gym, and only eat 250-300 calories back. The only thing I'm worried about is that I don't know how accurate the gym calorie monitor is. Do you know how much percent that elliptical can be off? I heard there generally off by 42%. Do you know if it's that high? It makes estimating burned calories a bit trickier without a general guideline. I use a Precor Commercial Series Adaptive Motion Trainer with Open Stride. Not sure if you ever heard of it, but it's worth a try ha ha :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs. Keep below 100 grams per day
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Jenn sorry if I missed, but where are you logging your food. Your diary is empty.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    jenniator, just speaking of what seems to work for me, my breakfast and lunch have much less starch than yours, and much more protein. It's near 7 p.m. here and I'm not at all hungry, with more than half of my daily 1311 calories yet to be consumed. My lunch has been 2 boiled eggs and 14 almonds, with one egg at noon, 4 almonds at 2, the other egg at 3:30, 4 more almonds at 5, and the last 6 almonds at 6.

Another concept I learned recently is something called "resistant starch", or starchy foods which resist digestion in the stomach and small intestine, surviving intact to the large intestine where they seem to yield benefit feeding the flora in that part of the gut. Your spaghetti could be converted into this "resistant starch" by allowing it to cool in the refrigerator for a day before you eat it, and eat it cold. I know, it sounds unpleasant. Still, you might find this worth an experiment.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Jenn sorry if I missed, but where are you logging your food. Your diary is empty.

Yeah I am logging everything I eat :) I weigh everything on a food scale. You can see a example on the first page. Most the time I primary just log the calories and not always the macros since I go by how I feel. I always forget to add it in my MFP since I'm not always at the computer, but I log every calorie on a sheet of paper or on my phone real quick after weighing it :)
  • jenniator
    Options
    jenniator, just speaking of what seems to work for me, my breakfast and lunch have much less starch than yours, and much more protein. It's near 7 p.m. here and I'm not at all hungry, with more than half of my daily 1311 calories yet to be consumed. My lunch has been 2 boiled eggs and 14 almonds, with one egg at noon, 4 almonds at 2, the other egg at 3:30, 4 more almonds at 5, and the last 6 almonds at 6.

Another concept I learned recently is something called "resistant starch", or starchy foods which resist digestion in the stomach and small intestine, surviving intact to the large intestine where they seem to yield benefit feeding the flora in that part of the gut. Your spaghetti could be converted into this "resistant starch" by allowing it to cool in the refrigerator for a day before you eat it, and eat it cold. I know, it sounds unpleasant. Still, you might find this worth an experiment.

I tried cutting out carbs and adding more protein, but I find a combination of the carbs and protein helps keep me the fullest for longer. I also find the carbs give me more energy and help me recover right after a work out. Eating nuts doesn't help with my hunger at all and I could eat a whole package while still being hungry ha ha. I do agree that boiled eggs are a great protein and pretty filling. But I don't care much for eggs, so I got extremely bored of them.

That does sound like a interesting experiment, but I rather eat my carbs warm and enjoy them :) Food is meant to be enjoyed and I don't eat anything I don't enjoy since it's not worth it too me. Since I've been eating more calories, I've been feeling a lot fuller and not struggling with starving :) So thats great
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Oh wow so I really am doing it right? :D I was worried I was eating back too much since 2,040 calories seems like a lot! I was a little sad earlier since I thought I ate way too much. I can't believe eating that much is considered a good strategy and it's reasonable, so I'm super happy. I can see why I was extremely starving before! I really was under eating by a huge amount. I tried to stay between 1,400-1,500 calories, then burn 500 at the gym, and only eat 250-300 calories back. The only thing I'm worried about is that I don't know how accurate the gym calorie monitor is. Do you know how much percent that elliptical can be off? I heard there generally off by 42%. Do you know if it's that high? It makes estimating burned calories a bit trickier without a general guideline. I use a Precor Commercial Series Adaptive Motion Trainer with Open Stride. Not sure if you ever heard of it, but it's worth a try ha ha :)

That right there is why it's recommended to start with only eating 50% of calories back.

Do that for a bit and see if you're still hungry and if you're losing like you expect based on the deficit you're supposed to have. If you're hungry, consider eating back more calories even if it would slow your loss further than you'd like. If you're losing faster than you expect, also consider eating back more calories. If you're not hungry and you're losing slower than you expect, consider eating less back.

Regardless, I'd give it at least a couple of weeks before making more changes. It might take a little while before the hunger subsides and your rate of weight loss is clear with the new calorie intake.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great news everyone :) It's day 2 of me eating more calories and I feel a lot better than yesterday which is surprising! I didn't think I would notice the difference so quickly, but I feel great and i love eating more food ha ha. Right now I'm at 1,143 calories eaten! I have 580 calories saved for dinner, so 1,723 in total. Since I worked out today, I burned 860 calories at the gym it says. So if I count half the exercise calories, I'm at 1,323 calories. That's great since I'm still able to have a snack later tonight. I'm super happy because I haven't had dinner yet and I'm not starving which is unheard of for me! Eating more calories and cutting down on the exercise have really worked for me! :D So thank you so much everyone for the recommendation! I really appreciate your patients and help!
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

That right there is why it's recommended to start with only eating 50% of calories back.

Do that for a bit and see if you're still hungry and if you're losing like you expect based on the deficit you're supposed to have. If you're hungry, consider eating back more calories even if it would slow your loss further than you'd like. If you're losing faster than you expect, also consider eating back more calories. If you're not hungry and you're losing slower than you expect, consider eating less back.

Regardless, I'd give it at least a couple of weeks before making more changes. It might take a little while before the hunger subsides and your rate of weight loss is clear with the new calorie intake.

That makes sense :) Thank you for explaining it to me! I got great news! It's only been 2 days since I've upped my calories, started eating back the exercise calories, lowered my gym time, and I already feel amazing! The first day I noticed a difference, but the second day (Today) is when I really noticed it! Every time I was hungry, I ate something. Right now I feel great and I'm not starving! Before I use to starve for the whole day and then end up going crazy at night. I'm really happy I took everyone's advice since it's really helped me. I didn't think I would notice a difference this fast, but I am :) So I'm excited to see how I feel in a few weeks from now. I haven't noticed anything with my weight and I'm still the same which I expected since it's only been 1 complete day, but hopefully that will go just as good!
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well done you!

(Just by the way, depo-provera is NOT 100% effective. I'd widdle on a stick just to reassure myself.)
  • jenniator
    Options
    sarochka85 wrote: »
    Well done you!

(Just by the way, depo-provera is NOT 100% effective. I'd widdle on a stick just to reassure myself.)

Thanks :D I'm really happy I decided to ask for advice since everyone is so helpful and friendly.

I know the Depo isn't 100% effective but the chance is extremely low, although it is something I might check into just to be certain :)