Always starving and hungry?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    It seems you are bound and determined to lose more than a pound a week or take a 25% deficit off TDEE. How about you try this, back off to a 20% of TDEE or .75 to 1 pound a week goal for a while. I was going to suggest maintenance for 3-4 week, but maybe try backing off the aggressive weight loss goal for 3-4 weeks. There is much to be said in favor of a break from trying to lose weight.

Another option is figure out your maintenance calories for your goal weight and eat that. It will still be a deficit, but likely not a large as you are running now. The advantage of this is that the amount you are eating is what you will be eating, no switching to maintenance when you get there. Again, the goal is to loosen up on the calorie deficit for a while to give you brain and body a break while not going into a surplus.

Finally I noticed you said that when the elliptical saying 1000 calories you log it as 500 and then only eat 200-300 of those IIRC. If that is the case I would not be surprised you are hungry as that is eating 20-30% of your exercise calories, 500 would be 50%.

Overall I think you are likely being too aggressive in your weight loss goal and need to slow it down maybe just for a while, maybe until you reach your goal.

That's something I've been really curious about. Is 25% defict (1.2-1.5 lbs) per week considered to be aggressive? I always heard that for around my weight that 1.2-1.5 wasn't considered aggressive, but 2 pounds was. So that's why I'm so curious since I heard it's doable and realistic. I mean of course I want to lose 1.2-1.5 pounds per week instead of .7-1 pound since I still have quiet a bit left to lose. But that's why I'm wondering if I'm aiming too high for someone of my stats. The 20% defict is worth a try and it might be better for me since then I will be able to eat more and not feel deprived. But it does suck that I will lose weight a lot slower. Although it might be worth it if it's more maintainable and it would be a nice break. I actually have been eating at maintenance level or a bit above for the past 3 months which explained why I'm not losing any weight and I gained some, so I really don't want to keep staying here ha ha :) Yeah my elliptical says I burn 1,000 calories. I always log it as 500 calories since I heard the estimated burning rate on ellipticals are really off and they can be up to 40-50% wrong! So I heard it's better to take half the calories that the monitor says as the total you burned so you never over eat your deficy, so I take 500. Then I always eat half or a bit more, around 250-350 calories.

The point is that you are having issues with the goal you currently have. Maybe it is burnout, maybe it is just too aggressive. BTW 20% is generally considered an aggressive goal making 25% a very aggressive one. My point being backing off your weekly goal may be what will help you.

This thread might be a good read for you. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/746654/diet-breaks-and-loosening-the-reigns

The point with Ellipticals is they may be up to 50% off, that does not mean they are. Some ellipticals for some users are likely very close to being accurate, for others not so much, but eating 50% of 50% is basically eating 25% and I have not seen anything that says ellipticals are 75% off. Maybe yours is, but my personal experience is losing faster is not always better. There is a reason MFP recommends (at least they used to) 1 pound per week for everyone.

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It seems you are bound and determined to lose more than a pound a week or take a 25% deficit off TDEE. How about you try this, back off to a 20% of TDEE or .75 to 1 pound a week goal for a while. I was going to suggest maintenance for 3-4 week, but maybe try backing off the aggressive weight loss goal for 3-4 weeks. There is much to be said in favor of a break from trying to lose weight.

Another option is figure out your maintenance calories for your goal weight and eat that. It will still be a deficit, but likely not a large as you are running now. The advantage of this is that the amount you are eating is what you will be eating, no switching to maintenance when you get there. Again, the goal is to loosen up on the calorie deficit for a while to give you brain and body a break while not going into a surplus.

Finally I noticed you said that when the elliptical saying 1000 calories you log it as 500 and then only eat 200-300 of those IIRC. If that is the case I would not be surprised you are hungry as that is eating 20-30% of your exercise calories, 500 would be 50%.

Overall I think you are likely being too aggressive in your weight loss goal and need to slow it down maybe just for a while, maybe until you reach your goal.

That's something I've been really curious about. Is 25% defict (1.2-1.5 lbs) per week considered to be aggressive? I always heard that for around my weight that 1.2-1.5 wasn't considered aggressive, but 2 pounds was. So that's why I'm so curious since I heard it's doable and realistic. I mean of course I want to lose 1.2-1.5 pounds per week instead of .7-1 pound since I still have quiet a bit left to lose. But that's why I'm wondering if I'm aiming too high for someone of my stats. The 20% defict is worth a try and it might be better for me since then I will be able to eat more and not feel deprived. But it does suck that I will lose weight a lot slower. Although it might be worth it if it's more maintainable and it would be a nice break. I actually have been eating at maintenance level or a bit above for the past 3 months which explained why I'm not losing any weight and I gained some, so I really don't want to keep staying here ha ha :) Yeah my elliptical says I burn 1,000 calories. I always log it as 500 calories since I heard the estimated burning rate on ellipticals are really off and they can be up to 40-50% wrong! So I heard it's better to take half the calories that the monitor says as the total you burned so you never over eat your deficy, so I take 500. Then I always eat half or a bit more, around 250-350 calories.

The point is that you are having issues with the goal you currently have. Maybe it is burnout, maybe it is just too aggressive. BTW 20% is generally considered an aggressive goal making 25% a very aggressive one. My point being backing off your weekly goal may be what will help you.

This thread might be a good read for you. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/746654/diet-breaks-and-loosening-the-reigns

The point with Ellipticals is they may be up to 50% off, that does not mean they are. Some ellipticals for some users are likely very close to being accurate, for others not so much, but eating 50% of 50% is basically eating 25% and I have not seen anything that says ellipticals are 75% off. Maybe yours is, but my personal experience is losing faster is not always better. There is a reason MFP recommends (at least they used to) 1 pound per week for everyone.

I think your right and that my goal is too agressive. I didn't know 20% was considered agressive! So that makes sense if 25% is considered extremely agressive. I've been aiming for around 20-25% for over a year in a half. Now that I've lost more weight and I'm under 170, maybe 25% is just too agressive for me and not something my body can handle anymore, so it's trying to tell me. I was wondering why I'm always starving and hungry. The solution might be that I've been pushing too hard and I really am starving my body. It really is a eye opener :) I knew my logging was spot on, my macros were alright, and I was eating balanced meals through out the day so I shouldn't be starving, but that wasn't the issue, it might be that I really am just eating too less. I decided to cut back my exercise to 60 minutes and also allow myself a extra meal or snack if I'm starving. On the Scoobys work shop, it says with light exercise, I can eat up to 1630 calories and still lose 1.1 pound per week, but I can also go up to 20%, 1739 calories and lose 0.9 pounds per week. So I'm gonna bump my calorie level up to 1,500-1,600 calories, then I can choose to go to 1,700 calories on days I'm hungrier.

I really like exercising with the elliptical since I can put the t.v. on at the gym and it really makes time go faster. A lot of people don't like the repetitive motion of the elliptical since they think it's boring, but I really like it since I can practically go on auto-pilot for the duration. The machine at the gym changes the resistance up and down every minute, so it's great :D The only problem is the ellipticals are difficult to estimate calories. I use the Precor Commercial Series Adaptive Motion Trainer with Open Stride, so I'm not sure how accurate or inaccurate the calorie output is which makes estimating the amount of calories I can eat back difficult. I'm worried if I eat up to half of what the monitor says, that I could be eating back too many calories and hinder my weight loss more.
  • jenniator
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Well, if the diet was too hard to stick to such that you spent three months in maintenance, then yes, that probably is too aggressive for you.

Pay attention to the times of the day you're hungry - do you need to adjust meal timing? Pay attention to meals that make you feel sated for longer versus meals that don't.

I personally make one sating meal the core of my day, and plan the rest of my meals around it. Those meals tend to be high in proteins or starches, and lower in fats, but really I don't go by macros, I go by how I feel after I eat the meal and when I get hungry again.

Your absolutely right :) My diet is too aggressive since I haven't been able to stick with it. I just need to eat more my body is telling me. Since I'm under 170 pounds, 1.2-1.5 lbs a week just is too aggressive for me maybe. So I'm cutting my exercise down to 60 minutes and putting my calorie range up to 1,500-1,600, but I could go up to 1,700 if I'm extra hungry.

I do adjust my meal times depending how hungry I am. Dinner is always the largest though since I'm always the most hungry at night and after working out.

That's exactly what I do! :) I always make dinner my largest meal, so I plan all my other meals around that. Dinner normally ranges from 550-630 calories, so I always have a good idea on what my other meals should range from. Occasionally we eat something more calorific, so I need to adjust my eating patterns in the day. I honestly never paid attention to macros either. I just went by how I felt and the calories. But everyone has been telling me to pay attention to macros since that's why I could be starving, since something might be to low. So I started paying more attention to them :)
  • jenniator
    Options
    I'm getting ready to head off to the gym so I made a late breakfast! :D 100 gram of chicken schnitzel, 25 grams of pasta, and I bumped the veggies up to 200 grams! It only came in at 325 calories, so I'm pretty happy. I love that it makes a huge portion and takes a while to finish!

c19u2bxqi2u9.jpg
    b.jpg 179.3K
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to head off to the gym so I made a late breakfast! :D 100 gram of chicken schnitzel, 25 grams of pasta, and I bumped the veggies up to 200 grams! It only came in at 325 calories, so I'm pretty happy. I love that it makes a huge portion and takes a while to finish!

c19u2bxqi2u9.jpg

Yeah! Thanks for posting. I can see what you consider high volume is about half the size of what I would get for 300 calories. See how you feel with the extra veg!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    I have never found veggies keep me satisfied. I can make a bunch of them (900 grams) and eat it with some meat and while it fills me up, there is no satisfaction for me with it. However, a 500-600 calorie burger will fill me up and keep me satisfied. I just find it weird because I know the volume of food with the veggies is far greater, but that satisfaction from the food is what keeps me on track. The even weirder thing with me, is they both keep me full about the same amount of time. Thankfully I can do the burger with a bunch of veggies for the nutritional benefits, but for me, the satisfaction come from the burger.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

c19u2bxqi2u9.jpg

This looks tasty.

Seriously though.. rule of thumb when dieting... if you're too hungry, decrease your deficit... better a slower loss than none because you're so hungry that you keep binging.

Just IMO...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    caurinus wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    And by high volume...I mean I eat my meals out of a mixing bowl.

It's funny how after you've eaten that way for a while, a giant bowl of veggies starts to feel like an indulgent feast... :-)

I eat so many of my dinners out of a huge mixing bowl my husband got to make bread. He used to laugh at me, but I think he's used to it now.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

c19u2bxqi2u9.jpg

This looks tasty.

Seriously though.. rule of thumb when dieting... if you're too hungry, decrease your deficit... better a slower loss than none because you're so hungry that you keep binging.

Just IMO...

Thanks :D It should've been obvious, but I didn't realize it at the time. I thought 1,400-1,500 was a reasonable calorie range for someone of my stats and I was just doing something wrong. Your right, that a slower loss is better than none!
  • jenniator
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

c19u2bxqi2u9.jpg

Yeah! Thanks for posting. I can see what you consider high volume is about half the size of what I would get for 300 calories. See how you feel with the extra veg!

Yeah :D It really is high volume which I absolutely love! I especially love that it isn't a lot of calories and it's extremely satisfying. I loved the extra veggies and it did help keep me a bit more full which is great :)
  • jenniator
    Options
    I have never found veggies keep me satisfied. I can make a bunch of them (900 grams) and eat it with some meat and while it fills me up, there is no satisfaction for me with it. However, a 500-600 calorie burger will fill me up and keep me satisfied. I just find it weird because I know the volume of food with the veggies is far greater, but that satisfaction from the food is what keeps me on track. The even weirder thing with me, is they both keep me full about the same amount of time. Thankfully I can do the burger with a bunch of veggies for the nutritional benefits, but for me, the satisfaction come from the burger.

I'm the same way! I found that eating a bunch of veggies doesn't fill me up or satisfy my hunger. It really is strange. But I found a combination of carbs and protein with the veggies works the best for hunger. It is funny since veggies have a greater volume, but a hamburger is a million times more satisfying than veggies LOL! I also find meat a lot more filling than veggies.
  • JessieMae31
    JessieMae31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    a great breakfast that keeps me full I call them protein pancakes. the recipes calls for 1/2 banana, 1/4 cups of oats and 3 egg whites . i use 1 whole banana, 1/4 c oats and 2 egg whites ( i by the container and use 1/3 c). just a meal idea
  • jenniator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great news everyone :) Today I lowered my exercise to 60 minutes. Then I increased my calorie limit! For lunch I had yoghurt with 200 grams of fruit (Normally 120, but I needed to use the fruit before it got old) but it still was only 324 calories! Then I had a store bought salad which was delicious and only 375 calories. In about a hour, I plan to make dinner which is 55 grams of rice, 160 grams of chicken roulade, and 200 grams of veggies for 532 calories! That will put my daily calorie goal at 1580 calories. If I'm hungry after dinner, I could take a apple which is only about 110 calories :) I'm glad I cut my gym time down since I'm not as exhausted and it goes by a lot quicker. I'm also glad that I increased my calorie limit since my body feels great! Best part of all is that I'm not starving and physically I feel better! I guess you guys were right, that all I needed to do was eat more calories and so much fitness isn't necessary. It's only day one, but I'm excited to see how the weeks will progress and I know I'm only going to keep feeling better now that I'm providing my body with the calories it needs. It's funny since I've been dieting for almost 2 years now and I'm always learning new things on these fourms! I love how many helpful people there are. When I first started out 2 years ago, I knew nothing about nutrition or losing weight. So I've really come so far and I love how I'm always still learning from my mistakes :D Slow and steady wins the race I guess in terms of weight loss.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Im 5'4" and 119 lbs. Not usually hungry or starving through the day, but I eat 145 grams of protein (around 1200 a day total in calories). If I were you Id up your protein and lower carbs some, and I bet that will make a difference in fullness. Also make sure youre getting fiber.
  • jenniator
    Options
    a great breakfast that keeps me full I call them protein pancakes. the recipes calls for 1/2 banana, 1/4 cups of oats and 3 egg whites . i use 1 whole banana, 1/4 c oats and 2 egg whites ( i by the container and use 1/3 c). just a meal idea

Wow that sounds delicious :D!! How many calories does it end up being?
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Crazy thought: have you had a pregnancy test?

That is exactly what I was going to say. One sign of early pregnancy is being STARVING all of the time.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Crazy thought: have you had a pregnancy test?

That is exactly what I was going to say. One sign of early pregnancy is being STARVING all of the time.

I've been on the depo shot for over 3 years, so I highly doubt it :) I also think I would've noticed other symptoms by now xD
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just to add a note on eating your calories back, common MFP advice is that you're actually supposed to eat them ALL back as the end goal (to zero things out and maintain the appropriate deficit for your defined goal), assuming perfect knowledge of the calorie burned. The reason for suggesting eating 50% is to account for over estimation of burn. The fact that you cut the burn in half and then ate 50% of that means you double cut.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Definitely crucial. Try upping your calories to like 1600 may help too
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    you bumped your exercise by 30% and are only eating 15% more. Well, that would do it.