Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Let's Have a Normal Conversation...

Replies

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,857 Member
    Sorry, Bill. I have more bad news for you too. We already ate all the butter tarts. :(
  • Bill9160
    Bill9160 Posts: 8,600 Member
    That's ok...I ate enough of everything else tonight to make up for it
  • Bill9160
    I'm waiting for the snakes
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,857 Member
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone has ever offered me snakes before so I’ll accept just because I’m intrigued

Here ya go..

pasce1cks96p.gif

I think you have to kill them first.. unless you want to eat them alive. Your choice.
  • Bill9160
    I'll only eat them live with bbq sauce
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Live snakes??? You're a wild man
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,456 Member
    bill9160 wrote: »
    I'll only eat them live with bbq sauce

The trick is to bite them before they bite you 😁
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Okay topic is how Monday's suck
  • AliNouveau
    Happy Monday. I have curling this afternoon. My shoulder already hurts. Do you think the two guys who play front end on my team will throw heavy enough rocks that I won't have to sweep them all like last time
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    You should get onto a team with ogres who throw heavy enough rocks, yo
  • AliNouveau
    I know right. These guys are my buddies. Our skip is super sweet but thinks I'm better than I am and asks me to do hard things. It's all very complicated
  • Reckoner67
    Sometimes when I have to do something difficult, like retrieve something from a high cupboard? I get a stool or a small stepladder.

Maybe if you tried curling on a stool or a small stepladder, it would be a lot easier? I confess to have never done curling before (hair or sport) so your mileage may vary, but I thought I would try to help!!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I know right. These guys are my buddies. Our skip is super sweet but thinks I'm better than I am and asks me to do hard things. It's all very complicated

Or maybe you actually are better than you think you are?

wouldn't that be nice. I feel I need more years of playing to be what they think I am. But maybe I just need to believe you're right. We're always our worst critic aren't we
  • Reckoner67
    It can be a useful tool--especially if you're surrounded by people who are kind, but don't give good criticism. It becomes a problem when you zero in on what you're doing wrong, or could be doing better, and forget to acknowledge what you do right or do well. Too much negativity can kill the joy, which is the fastest way to Ruinsville!

I've been all over this kinda thinking with my writing over the years :P
  • AliNouveau

Or maybe you actually are better than you think you are?

wouldn't that be nice. I feel I need more years of playing to be what they think I am. But maybe I just need to believe you're right. We're always our worst critic aren't we

Oh 100% , I'm the same with my dancing

see I've been skating for so long I never doubt it. I know I'm good (ya sounds arrogant but I kinda am) and my body just knows exactly what to do. I need to find that with everything else but maybe that's why I like the curling because I am always learning
  • AliNouveau
    It can be a useful tool--especially if you're surrounded by people who are kind, but don't give good criticism. It becomes a problem when you zero in on what you're doing wrong, or could be doing better, and forget to acknowledge what you do right or do well. Too much negativity can kill the joy, which is the fastest way to Ruinsville!

don't you think with many things writing is like a labour of love and almost like a piece of you as any art is? therefore you criticize it more because you do want it to be perfect. you want to put out there the best piece of you
  • Reckoner67

don't you think with many things writing is like a labour of love and almost like a piece of you as any art is? therefore you criticize it more because you do want it to be perfect. you want to put out there the best piece of you

Definitely. When a story is taking shape in my mind, I get excited for the potential of it--the high points. But when it get's put onto paper, that's where the struggle comes in. My goal is to tell the story in a way that will transfer my excitement to the reader, to give them that same feeling...and there are so many places it can go wrong, from simple mistakes in grammar, spelling, or punctuation to the unwritten things like flow, detail, description, and all that.

At the end of the day, I'm judging it because I can't really control how anyone receiving it is going to view it--so yeah, I definitely want it to be "perfect" for me. And it never is!

Stupid, stupid words

But hey, even learning to let go can be part of growth, too. Or so I'm told. Or so I've chosen to believe.
  • AliNouveau

Definitely. When a story is taking shape in my mind, I get excited for the potential of it--the high points. But when it get's put onto paper, that's where the struggle comes in. My goal is to tell the story in a way that will transfer my excitement to the reader, to give them that same feeling...and there are so many places it can go wrong, from simple mistakes in grammar, spelling, or punctuation to the unwritten things like flow, detail, description, and all that.

At the end of the day, I'm judging it because I can't really control how anyone receiving it is going to view it--so yeah, I definitely want it to be "perfect" for me. And it never is!

Stupid, stupid words

But hey, even learning to let go can be part of growth, too. Or so I'm told. Or so I've chosen to believe.

Can you ever truly let go though? Really do you ever want to? Wouldn't that mean you just don't care anymore?

When I skate if I'm in a competition I have a captive audience. But I'll still have a little niggling sense out doubt that makes me perform just a little more so that I can be the best. I want to put my best out there, I want the accolades. It's like part of my brain tells me you are best while another says but you can be better. I think listening to both is what makes you the best. You have the confidence but you want to push yourself

With curling I know I can do it. I am still learning so I know I am not perfect. I think I also make people believe I'm better and more experienced than I am because I have the skill to make it look like I know what I'm doing. Meanwhile in my head is this content dialogue trying to figure out the damn game.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    So many laughs
    Oh the great times we used to have in here. I miss the old MFP

Irk.. so much fun :)

I'm miss so many Vik, Indianagolfer, to name two.. :(
    And onehundredtolose

Yes ma’am! To name a few..Lisa, Aly, Jen Jen, Laura, Z, Tom, Mike.... Tyson was my buddy, such an awesome guy.

<3<3
  • Reckoner67

Stupid, stupid words

Can you ever truly let go though? Really do you ever want to? Wouldn't that mean you just don't care anymore?

When I skate if I'm in a competition I have a captive audience. But I'll still have a little niggling sense out doubt that makes me perform just a little more so that I can be the best. I want to put my best out there, I want the accolades. It's like part of my brain tells me you are best while another says but you can be better. I think listening to both is what makes you the best. You have the confidence but you want to push yourself

With curling I know I can do it. I am still learning so I know I am not perfect. I think I also make people believe I'm better and more experienced than I am because I have the skill to make it look like I know what I'm doing. Meanwhile in my head is this content dialogue trying to figure out the damn game.

I think the gap between anything performance-related (skating, curling, dance) and writing is the nature of the art itself. With performance, you have that ONE shot to put it all out there in front of the audience, the judges, or whomever--and maybe you'll perform that same routine another time, but everything you've trained and practiced for comes down to that one instant when you're putting it out there to be judged.

With writing, I can sit in a dark corner (I often do) and write a story, start-to-finish, before going back and editing it. And unless I'm writing against a deadline, if it's a personal project? I can keep it forever. I can edit it again every week, every day if I hate myself and want me to go crazy, and *every* time I read it again I will find something that I perceive to be wrong with it. When it comes to stories, letting go has less to do with not caring about it anymore and more to do with "Do I want to write one story for my whole life, or is it time to move on?"

I have stories that I wrote years ago, when I first started tackling fiction, and they make me cringe now. The ideas may be good, but the delivery is off for whatever reason. SOMETIMES I'll take something like that and actually rewrite it, but if I allowed myself to keep striving for perfection, I'd never tell other stories.