Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Let's Have a Normal Conversation...

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Do we get to read your stories? What genre do you write?
    I used to want to be a writer but like you said I'd write stuff, revisit it and be like wtf were you thinking then rewrite it all
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I used to want to be a writer but like you said I'd write stuff, revisit it and be like wtf were you thinking then rewrite it all

I write mostly horror, or at least more horror than anything else, but I've dabbled in a lotta different styles and genres. I've got some stuff on Amazon, I actually have some really short (flash-fiction) stories up on SoundCloud (me reading them), and I'm always willing to send people anything that I'm not contractually-obliged NOT to send out. This is very rare :P

• AliNouveau
    Reckoner67 wrote: »

I write mostly horror, or at least more horror than anything else, but I've dabbled in a lotta different styles and genres. I've got some stuff on Amazon, I actually have some really short (flash-fiction) stories up on SoundCloud (me reading them), and I'm always willing to send people anything that I'm not contractually-obliged NOT to send out. This is very rare :P

I'd be happy to listen. I don't like scary stuff though.
  • Reckoner67

Yeah, it's not for everybody, and not knowing your sensibilities I'd hesitate to link anything I have out there right now. Thanks for asking, though; I think the most frustrating part of writing a story that you're proud of is convincing people to give it a try. There are a *lot* of ways to spend time anymore, and reading some no-name person's story is a pretty hard sell :)

• AliNouveau

Yeah, it's not for everybody, and not knowing your sensibilities I'd hesitate to link anything I have out there right now. Thanks for asking, though; I think the most frustrating part of writing a story that you're proud of is convincing people to give it a try. There are a *lot* of ways to spend time anymore, and reading some no-name person's story is a pretty hard sell :)

I'm happy to give any reading a try. I like reading. The probably is I have a very vivid imagination so I picture what's happening and will even dream about stories. Horror stuff scares me. But it's its not graphic stuff I'm ok. The boy was just describing to me something that breaks your legs. I told him to stop haha
  • Reckoner67
    Yeah, I definitely use graphic description in some stories. It can provide a good "punch" sometimes, though the one story I had that was published and able to be submitted to "the best hardcore horror" anthology for 2018 received a rejection because it wasn't hardcore ENOUGH.

I guess I'd really have to take it to "plaid" if I wanted to get into something like that, dang
  • AliNouveau
    Omg how do people read that?!?!?
  • Reckoner67
    I dunno, it's just a thing I guess! I know my brain is wired weird...stuff that a lotta people find to be disturbing, it doesn't bother me in the same way. I definitely feel, just about very specific things, and not always the way others do. Then again, acclimation has a lot to do with it too. That's one of the reasons I hesitate to push my stuff on people, cause I really don't know where they are and I don't trust my own sense of what is "disturbing" to the general populace anymore.
  • AliNouveau
    edited February 2019
    So do you publish your stuff on special horror fiction sites? Is it your job... Writing?

We won curling. We all played super well
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,456 Member
    I dunno, it's just a thing I guess! I know my brain is wired weird...stuff that a lotta people find to be disturbing, it doesn't bother me in the same way. I definitely feel, just about very specific things, and not always the way others do. Then again, acclimation has a lot to do with it too. That's one of the reasons I hesitate to push my stuff on people, cause I really don't know where they are and I don't trust my own sense of what is "disturbing" to the general populace anymore.

I love horror stories and generally the only thing I read 😁
  • Reckoner67
    See, maybe @burlygirl91 was right and you're better than you realized, look at that!

Writing is just a hobby for me. My career probably pays better than writing ever would unless I hit "everything he writes ends up being a bestseller because of his rabid fandom" status which I'm not holding out for, heheh.

I have some stuff in some anthologies, a few things I put out there on my own. Nothing regular, like a blog or a column or anything.

Here's my Soundcloud page, I posted it before on the "voice" thread in the Chit-Chat forums but I'll just link to everything there. Hopefully none of it is too graphic? They're all short, probably not all horror. You can always turn them off or not listen, I won't be offended. The best thing about submitting writing for publication is that you build a thick skin pretty stinkin fast!!

https://soundcloud.com/reckoner67

• Reckoner67

I love horror stories and generally the only thing I read 😁

If you're ever interested, tell me what kinda horror you prefer and I can set you up with a short story or two!
  • AliNouveau
    See, maybe @burlygirl91 was right and you're better than you realized, look at that!

Writing is just a hobby for me. My career probably pays better than writing ever would unless I hit "everything he writes ends up being a bestseller because of his rabid fandom" status which I'm not holding out for, heheh.

I have some stuff in some anthologies, a few things I put out there on my own. Nothing regular, like a blog or a column or anything.

Here's my Soundcloud page, I posted it before on the "voice" thread in the Chit-Chat forums but I'll just link to everything there. Hopefully none of it is too graphic? They're all short, probably not all horror. You can always turn them off or not listen, I won't be offended. The best thing about submitting writing for publication is that you build a thick skin pretty stinkin fast!!

I will check that out

Maybe her pep talk helped haha

I took butter tarts for after curling treats. I might have started a thing and will need to take them something all the time now

• AliNouveau

Those are cool tha k's. You've a real Michigan accent eh
  • Bill9160
    Bill9160 Posts: 8,600 Member
    Look at all the talent we have here....skater/curler, dancer, writer...
    Then there's me.....lol
  • AliNouveau
    I'm sure you have talents. You bake and cook
  • Competeballpythons
    Competeballpythons Posts: 224 Member
    Is skating a talent?
  • Bill9160
    Bill9160 Posts: 8,600 Member
    Sure it is....ever watch the Olympics...that takes talent
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,857 Member
    Is skating a talent?

Have you tried ice skating before? I tried it once not long ago and spent the entire time thinking I was going to get seriously injured. I was terrible at it. I'd definitely say it's a talent.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,857 Member
    bill9160 wrote: »
    Look at all the talent we have here....skater/curler, dancer, writer...
    Then there's me.....lol

Right now my only talent seems to be how many girl scout cookies I can eat. :|