Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Lyle McDonald just did a podcast with Mike Matthews. As usual, it is a good one. Starting at the 23:00 minute mark, he discusses the effect of energy availability (how much you eat less the calories you burn, in other words net calories) on menstrual function. In short, problems tend to start at: 13.6xLBM(in pounds) and can be quite serious.

Example woman:
    140 lbs
    27% bodyweight
    102 lbs LBM
    13.6 x 102 lbs = 1387 net calories would be tipping point

I'm about 32 minutes in and was fascinated to learn that under-eating and over-exercising can mess up your cycle in as little as 5-7 days. I believe the example was 800 calories plus a few hours of cardio.

And messing up your cycle can cause permanent loss to bone density.

Yep. I feel like I've been harping on that a lot on threads lately. It seems like a lot of younger (not all of course but many) women don't take it seriously. But the years pass by quickly and before you know it you're 40 and find your mom and coworkers who are a bit older are being treated for osteopenia or osteoporosis and then you realize that you are well past the bone building years and dear lord you hope your bones are okay :wink:
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    grapaj wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Here's a question ...

My Dr keeps suggesting the Mirena to me but I have never been thrilled with the idea of an IUD. It is right up there with the idea of getting contacts. Certain things are just ... <<shudder>>

Nevertheless the suggestion of a Mirena is going to come up again soon, so here's my question ... if you exercise a lot, are they OK? Or do they dislodge or cause problems? I have no idea because I've never even entertained the idea of using one before.

Are there downsides for someone who exercises a lot?

I've had a mirena for 3 years and I have never even noticed it's there. No movement, no dislodging or pain. I lift heavy 4 days a week. If it wasn't for my better managed period it's like it isn't even there. HTH.

My exercise is cycling, and I just recently learned that there is a string attached to the Mirena. I hate the tampon string, and I'm wondering how I would feel about the Mirena string. How noticeable is it?

Except for the two super heavy days of my period, I use a silicone menstrual cup. No string! I did trim the end to shorten it.

I also use it for a week or so around ovulation when I'm spotting.

Oooo I see they have a larger capacity cup now!

http://gladrags.com/product/451/XO-Flo-(Pre-Order-Only).html

2016112809261143174_lrg.jpg

Here's the diva cup on Amazon:

91THxVYQY0L._SY679_.jpg

I've scratched myself raw trying the Diva cup... I'm too tight or something. Horrible experience! Can't imagine I wouldn't end up with blood all over when emptying it either, so I'd need a pad anyway... not too sure how people do it.

With a diaphragm I find it helpful to put a little lube on it before inserting, but with the cup just fold and insert.

If it is all the way full, yes, it can be a little messy which is manageable with toilet paper and hand washing. When I get to the point where the cup fills up too fast I switch to OB Ultras. So normally there is no mess. Really just one time per cycle.

On my heavy days, I do wear a pad as well.

I've seen the suggestion to practice in the shower at first in case of accidents.

I always wear a liner or a very thin pad while wearing my cup. I do the same thing when I wear tampons. It just makes me feel better about if there is any potential leakage. Also, there has been a time or two (with both the cup & a tampon) where I haven't been around a bathroom so that extra layer of protection was very much needed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald just did a podcast with Mike Matthews. As usual, it is a good one. Starting at the 23:00 minute mark, he discusses the effect of energy availability (how much you eat less the calories you burn, in other words net calories) on menstrual function. In short, problems tend to start at: 13.6xLBM(in pounds) and can be quite serious.

Example woman:
    140 lbs
    27% bodyweight
    102 lbs LBM

I'm about 32 minutes in and was fascinated to learn that under-eating and over-exercising can mess up your cycle in as little as 5-7 days. I believe the example was 800 calories plus a few hours of cardio.

Yep. I feel like I've been harping on that a lot on threads lately. It seems like a lot of younger (not all of course but many) women don't take it seriously. But the years pass by quickly and before you know it you're 40 and find your mom and coworkers who are a bit older are being treated for osteopenia or osteoporosis and then you realize that you are well past the bone building years and dear lord you hope your bones are okay :wink:

Ya, my mom is 79, has osteoporosis, and is contemplating taking one of those bone building drugs, which have lots of side effects. She started going to a gym two years ago and wishes she had started decades ago.

I'm 50, keep asking my GYN for a bone density test to get a baseline, and she won't approve it :(
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Example woman:
    140 lbs
    27% bodyweight
    102 lbs LBM

Ya, my mom is 79, has osteoporosis, and is contemplating taking one of those bone building drugs, which have lots of side effects. She started going to a gym two years ago and wishes she had started decades ago.

I'm 50, keep asking my GYN for a bone density test to get a baseline, and she won't approve it :(

Do you live near any universities? The state university near me does DXA bone scans. The cost without insurance is $70.

My mom is in her 60s and takes a bone building drug once a week. I can't remember what it is called but she has to keep standing up for 30 minutes after she takes it. Another person I know just hit 60 and is in fantastic shape but is and always has been very tiny (I'm guessing around 4'9 or 10 and 90 lbs), which is a ding against bone health even when you do everything else "right". She was on bone building meds for several years and they don't seem to have helped at all.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Mine used to be 29-30 days at my heaviest. Now that I'm losing, it's every 25 days at 8am.
  • osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this thread. It explains the totm weight fluctuations really well.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters#latest
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    FYI, the mirena "string" is only there for your doctor to find when removing it. It's way up there. I never felt it. Even when I went looking for it. :).

Fantastic thread. I really needed this info today - period is starting and I can literally see the bloated belly and I hate it. Glad to know it's not something I did wrong.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind getting a bone density scan done ... especially since long distance cycling does nothing to build up the bones. I wanted to get one done several years ago at my previous university, but the doctor (who had obviously not looked at my age on my file) told me that they don't do scans on people as young as me and I'd have to wait till I was in my mid-40s before they'd do a scan. I was 41 at the time. :neutral:

And as for the mirena ... it is off the table! :) Doctors will not be pushing it on me anymore. All of a sudden one heard what I was telling him, and knew what I was talking about, and told me in no uncertain terms that I was absolutely not to go that route.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Bump
  • fifihebben
    fifihebben Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this article. I am super hungry just before period and been getting headache at this time too since trying to loose weight. Now I know i can eat that little bit more at this time.
  • VVVeeVee
    VVVeeVee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    gained almost four pounds when TOM started. was all gone the minute it was over.. hormones are so weird.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Oddly ... this month, I lost weight during the week before mine started. That's a rare but pleasant surprise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was 5 days late this month, which never, ever happens, they have always arrived like clockwork down to the hour. I'm turning 45 next month, i wonder if this is a sign of peri-menopause, or am i jumping the gun??
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Is anyone going to watch this? It looks really interesting! http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/womens-physiology/female-fat-loss-seminar-eric-helms.html/

I am really looking forward to his book!
  • Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My cyclus is very random, having the Mirena.
    One day very heavy, next day suddenly nothing, few days very lightly... I was hoping to hit 56.5kg and suddenly I was 59kg. It made me cry to almost hit 60kg again. :cry:
    I just want to see any progress on the scale. Measuring with a tape doesn't work for me, since I don't get the same spots to measure.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Bumping for awesomeness! :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Bump ... just cause. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    @Francl27 saw this for PMS and was wondering if there was anything in it you'd find helpful: http://www.drkaslow.com/html/premenstrual_syndromes.html

...PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME SUB-TYPE C: (relative hypoglycemia with craving for sweets, increased appetite, heart pounding, dizziness or fainting, fatigue, headache, etc.)

Estrogen excess with symptoms primarily due to relative hypoglycemia. Often with low magnesium and prostaglandin E1 with increased carbohydrate tolerance

Management considerations for sub-type C PMS: Avoid alcohol since it impairs the release of glucose from liver glycogen. Eat small meals regularly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Francl27 saw this for PMS and was wondering if there was anything in it you'd find helpful: http://www.drkaslow.com/html/premenstrual_syndromes.html

...PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME SUB-TYPE C: (relative hypoglycemia with craving for sweets, increased appetite, heart pounding, dizziness or fainting, fatigue, headache, etc.)

Estrogen excess with symptoms primarily due to relative hypoglycemia. Often with low magnesium and prostaglandin E1 with increased carbohydrate tolerance

Management considerations for sub-type C PMS: Avoid alcohol since it impairs the release of glucose from liver glycogen. Eat small meals regularly.

Sounds about right! I very rarely drink alcohol thankfully.

I admit I'm a bit curious about how to treat Estrogen excess though. I really got to find a GOOD GYN that will do blood work to figure it out... Not sure about the progesterone insufficiency though as I do tend to bleed quite a bit and my resting heart rate goes up before my period (65 instead of 58-60).

I still have anemia though and haven't found the time to do the blood test related to that...

ETA: This popped up on FB today.

http://www.scarymommy.com/womens-periods-get-worse-perimenopause/?utm_source=FB

I don't know how accurate this is but the first three paragraphs describe me perfectly.