Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• stewartt3260
    stewartt3260 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Question: is anyone just completely skipping their TOM??? Does this change this person whole theory on water weight and bloating?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Question: is anyone just completely skipping their TOM??? Does this change this person whole theory on water weight and bloating?

Some of us only wish we were completely skipping our TOMs.

Actually, that said, I'm 5 days late ... WOO-HOO ... so there's a small chance I might possibly skip this one. AT LAST!! However, I've definitely got the water weight and bloating.

• stewartt3260
    stewartt3260 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Actually, that said, I'm 5 days late ... WOO-HOO ... so there's a small chance I might possibly skip this one. AT LAST!! However, I've definitely got the water weight and bloating.
    I don't naturally skip my period I make it happen. Like I just don't stop taking my pill.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I don't naturally skip my period I make it happen. Like I just don't stop taking my pill.

That never worked for me. I usually woke up with my periods on the first day of the sugar pill, so they came before i even had a chance to take the pill.
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone can help me or will read this but ....
    Ive noticed I don't loose any weight 2.5 week of month sat day 14 of my pill until I literally come on and then for the next 10/14 days I loose a whole months worth. Always averaging 1.3lbs a week across a month.
    I'm ok with that now I recognise the pattern .

My question is ... I have to run 2 pill packs together to avoid period while away. Will this totally mess up weight loss? Will I will loose in middle of 2 packs or loose double at end?

I was thinking to run the packs together but after a week of pack 2 have a break so really I only extend one month by a week which is week I'm away. Make sense?!?! Lol x
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    24clouds wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone can help me or will read this but ....
    Ive noticed I don't loose any weight 2.5 week of month sat day 14 of my pill until I literally come on and then for the next 10/14 days I loose a whole months worth. Always averaging 1.3lbs a week across a month.
    I'm ok with that now I recognise the pattern .

My question is ... I have to run 2 pill packs together to avoid period while away. Will this totally mess up weight loss? Will I will loose in middle of 2 packs or loose double at end?

I was thinking to run the packs together but after a week of pack 2 have a break so really I only extend one month by a week which is week I'm away. Make sense?!?! Lol x

Your goal should be fat loss. Don't get caught up in worry over water weight. Eat in a deficit and don't screw around with your meds.
  • Becbecmonster84
    Becbecmonster84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh I just wrote a post about this sort of thing but was asking from the other end of the scale... Great artical btw. Have you got any ideas why I would lose a lb a day for 5-7 days a few days after my period each month ? I don't gain weight before my period and for the rest of the month I lose a steady 1-2lb a week. My diet stays the same and I have the same exercise regime through out the month. I would be really interested in your ideas about this :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I actually ended up skipping periods for a bit when I was at my lowest weight... I just didn't lose ANY weight those months. Then lost 6 lbs or something ridiculous in a week after it finally showed up...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Oh I just wrote a post about this sort of thing but was asking from the other end of the scale... Great artical btw. Have you got any ideas why I would lose a lb a day for 5-7 days a few days after my period each month ? I don't gain weight before my period and for the rest of the month I lose a steady 1-2lb a week. My diet stays the same and I have the same exercise regime through out the month. I would be really interested in your ideas about this :)

Wow, I...have no idea. That's not really helpful, I know. It is really interesting though. How many cycles has this happened? Also, at the end of the cycle if you add up your net losses, does it tie out (approximately) to how much you'd expect to lose based on the calorie level you eat?
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Two quick things I can think of. 1. You're still retaining water, but instead of noticing it as a weight gain, it's maybe showing up as a lower weight loss (1lb for the week versus 2lbs) 2. Hormonal fluctuations that occur during menstrual cycles can actually slightly increase our metabolism for the two weeks prior to our period, but again, the weightloss is being hidden by water retention until after your period passes.
  • hlblakeley
    hlblakeley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! I am really struggling with my weight loss and am not sure if it's related to TOM or not. I am going to use one of the tracker apps that was mentioned earlier in the thread. The frustrating thing for me is I started peri-menopause about 3-4 years ago when I was 38. Young I know but I started my cycles very young. I was stoked! 3-5 months between periods, loved it! (all the other stuff kind of stunk but I was willing to put up with it! ) Then my daughter started her cycle, and my body decided that it was time to get regular again. :grimace: I still have all the other stuff, hot flashes and crazy moods and stuff but to top it off I have my period every 28 days again, Grrrrrr..... I'm hoping to jump back to the long breaks soon.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I gave a question regarding the pill.

I'm two months into taking the active pills continuously (okay'd by doctor) as I was getting horrendous migraine with auras during my inactive week. So far, so good. However, instead of gaining and maintaining water weight from pms to period time, I've just stayed the same weight.

My question is (the doctor wasn't too sure about this), but will it take time for my body to adjust to the constant hormones (Yasmin)? I've maintained my weight for 2-3 weeks now, so am I right in assuming that I am retaining fluid (kitchen and body scale have new batteries)? Yes, I weigh absolutely everything that is solid and semi solid and only use cups for liquids. I log everything. So I can safely assume my body is adjusting to the hormones? Not worried at all, just extremely curious. Prior to skipping my period, I was taking the pill the usual way.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've had an unforeseen benefit to losing weight happen just this month. I'm 44 and have lost 24lbs since mid January. Since my periods returned after having my daughter almost 6 years ago they have been heavy, a couple of years back I started to bleed on ovulation, light bleeding but still annoying, PMT worsened, was tearful and prone to temper tantrums, and the breast tenderness became very painful for around 5 days beforehand, taking off my bra was agony, to top it off my cycle shortened to 21 days. But this month I've had slight breast tenderness today only and my period arrived this evening, bang on 28 days. I'm a very happy woman!
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    pennygm72 wrote: »
    I've had an unforeseen benefit to losing weight happen just this month. I'm 44 and have lost 24lbs since mid January. Since my periods returned after having my daughter almost 6 years ago they have been heavy, a couple of years back I started to bleed on ovulation, light bleeding but still annoying, PMT worsened, was tearful and prone to temper tantrums, and the breast tenderness became very painful for around 5 days beforehand, taking off my bra was agony, to top it off my cycle shortened to 21 days. But this month I've had slight breast tenderness today only and my period arrived this evening, bang on 28 days. I'm a very happy woman!

Forgot to say at my heaviest I could gain 6-7lbs in the days before my period, since starting to lose weight I've noticed the loss reduces in the week leading to menstruation but it doesn't stop, very prepared for things to change though the closer I get to goal.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I gave a question regarding the pill.

I'm two months into taking the active pills continuously (okay'd by doctor) as I was getting horrendous migraine with auras during my inactive week. So far, so good. However, instead of gaining and maintaining water weight from pms to period time, I've just stayed the same weight.

My question is (the doctor wasn't too sure about this), but will it take time for my body to adjust to the constant hormones (Yasmin)? I've maintained my weight for 2-3 weeks now, so am I right in assuming that I am retaining fluid (kitchen and body scale have new batteries)? Yes, I weigh absolutely everything that is solid and semi solid and only use cups for liquids. I log everything. So I can safely assume my body is adjusting to the hormones? Not worried at all, just extremely curious. Prior to skipping my period, I was taking the pill the usual way.

I'm kind of worried that your Dr isn't sure. :scream: I know when I started on birth control (I was on loestrin), it seemed to take a few weeks, but I'm also on thyroid meds so hormone jumping party right there.
    2-3 weeks of no loss can be unfortunately just rather normal as well, no matter how well we've weighed food, and minded our p's and q's.
  • Machka9
    Options

I made it to 7 days late ... and then had a day that was heavier and more painful (cramping) than I've had since I was a teenager.

But in a weird way it was almost a relief. I was so bloated before.

Maybe next time.
  • GeordieLaforge
    GeordieLaforge Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I made it to 7 days late ... and then had a day that was heavier and more painful (cramping) than I've had since I was a teenager.

Maybe next time.

I have always had really bad cramps (like really really bad), but I find if my period comes early, the pain isn't near as bad and I don't spend as much time in "PMS mode" (bloating, cravings, mood swings, etc.). If my period comes late though, good lord there's hell to pay. My cramps are sooo much worse, and I spend almost two full weeks in "PMS mode" before it starts. It's awful!

I've found that since I've started training regularly, (strength and cardio), my cycle has gotten a little more unpredictable. I never know if it will come early or late, it used to be 26 days like clockwork. now it ranges from 20 to 31 days
  • Machka9
    Options
    Bungie01 wrote: »

Maybe next time.

I have always had really bad cramps (like really really bad), but I find if my period comes early, the pain isn't near as bad and I don't spend as much time in "PMS mode" (bloating, cravings, mood swings, etc.). If my period comes late though, good lord there's hell to pay. My cramps are sooo much worse, and I spend almost two full weeks in "PMS mode" before it starts. It's awful!

I've found that since I've started training regularly, (strength and cardio), my cycle has gotten a little more unpredictable. I never know if it will come early or late, it used to be 26 days like clockwork. now it ranges from 20 to 31 days

Exercise has triggered my periods since I was in my early 30s.

Perimenopause really screwed things up ... I never know when it's coming or going, but it's on more than it's off. Like every 20-24 days with spotting mid-cycle.

But now, I'm anxiously awaiting menopause. I just want it to end! So I was all excited when I finally went 35 days between periods.

Oh well ... one day I'll skip a period. Or so they tell me.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    On hormonal birth control. As I loose weight, my period starts closer to when the hormones stop. With a Sunday stop, at my heaviest my period would start on Thursday, and at my lightest (still overweight), it would start on Tuesday.

How much have other's cycles/start day fluctuated with weight loss?
  • rainwife79
    rainwife79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to find this post today. Over the past few days my weight has gone up by 4 pounds. I've been tracking diligently, weighing everything and doing the same thing I have been doing and seeing daily results. My period just ended yesterday, so I'm assuming that I'm still retaining a little water (which I've upped my intake of significantly in the past few days as well).

It's a little disheartening. This is the first month I'm weighing daily and actual seeing this happen. But I'm going to stay on track and wait for the numbers to start going back down