Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• GeordieLaforge
    GeordieLaforge Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I often (but not always) become super hungry during TOM.

I also need to poop frequently, like every hour or even twice an hour, which is annoying. But it does give me a chance to dump the menstrual cup frequently so I guess it's not all bad??

Menstrual cups are the greatest invention ever, BTW. God I love not having to feel "the drop" of clotted blood.

I tried the Diva cup and let's say I didn't have a good experience. I never managed to get it placed properly and I scratched myself raw trying. I just gave up after that...

Sammmee, I tried using my diva cup for about 8 months because everyone said it has a learning curve and that I would love it eventually. but it always felt super uncomfortable and leaked no matter how I positioned it or what I did. It's not for everyone I guess :/
  • oceanblue6
    oceanblue6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I use the FemmyCycle menstrual cup , I have for a year and a half, since i developed as allergy to polyester (wth body, seriously, polyester allergy?) I was already considering switching because they're quite environmentally friendly.

Pros:
    1. I'm saving a lot of money on hygiene
    2. Its much, much cleaner than pads once thou get the hang of it.
    3. Only need to deal with bloody stuff twice a day... very liberating
    4. The FemmtCycle has a loop that makes both placement and getting it out easier than other brands

Cons:
    1. Took about 3 months to get comfortable with it.
    2. Occasionally it shifts during heavy exercise or sleep. This is usually due to careless placement on my part.

Notes:
    1. Being tense makes it worse. Lots worse. Tension makes it hard to get in and harder to retrieve. If you "lose " it up there, panicking is super easy, just take deep breaths, then bear down (yes, like giving birth bear down).
    2. It's not supposed to exactly touch the cervix. Messing this up can result in terrible cramps.
    3. Do not handle your cup over or near a toilet. Toilets are nasty, and the cup is slippery.

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I recently got a diva cup and have used it once so far, for a few days. I was nervous, but ended up having a great experience! Felt like I caught on pretty quick and I'm sure it will be even better after using it a few more times.
    I even did a heavy squat/leg workout on the 2nd day (risky for the first time using it haha), leaking was minimal and I didn't feel the need to rush to the bathroom several times to check that everything was in place as I often do when using tampons.
    I could feel it a bit right after putting it in, but after a while it seemed to migrate to a more comfortable place where I didn't even notice it. (I did get a little panicked the first time it moved up farther while wearing it, but going to the bathroom before trying to remove it - and trying to give it a little push - seemed to help with that.)
    I also kind of liked the fact that you can't get pee on it, as sometimes happens with a tampon.
    I was pleasantly surprised! Seems like it's going to make my life so much easier!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I mentioned this in the perimenopause thread ...

For a long time I would have periods that builds up gradually for 3 or 4 days, then heavy for 3 or 4 days, then it tapers off for the next week. Then I'm free for a week. Then I spot for 2 or 3 days. Then I'm free for 10 days. Then I have a 2 week, fairly heavy period which begins to feel like it is never going to end. Then I'm free for 2 weeks ... woo-hoo! Then I gush for 3 or 4 days. Then I'm free for a week. Then I'll have one that kind of spots for 10 days.

I never know when they're going to start or finish or how heavy they'll be. But at least once a month I'll have a couple days of flooding among all the other stuff.

I got fed up with it all in late 2014 and saw a Dr who rushed me into a gynaecologist who rushed me into surgery. Apparently I had a very large polyp which turned out to be pre-cancerous. It was removed and things kind of settled a bit, but about a year ago, things were really wonky again. On an ultrasound, they found a cyst and a fibroid which may be causing some of that ... or it could just be perimenopause. Then a couple months later they discovered more pre-cancer.

So ... if you're bleeding for extended periods of time or spotting between periods ... see a Dr. I really thought it was all just a normal part of perimenopause but it wasn't.

Since I had that polyp removed in early 2015, I've been going for ultrasounds every 6 months to monitor the situation surrounding and in particular to see if any further polyps develop. I was told that if others developed, they could indicate a worsening of the pre-cancerous situation.

Well ... yesterday I was informed that another one has developed. So I'll be in surgery next Thursday to remove it + a D&C + treatment of the other pre-cancer they found.

They move quick! One minute I'm sitting in the Drs office ... next minute I'm filling out a massive pile of forms and stuff for surgery!

Anyway, again ... if things are wonky, don't just suffer through it. See someone. Ask questions. Go for tests. There might be a reason for it!

@Machka9

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Here's to hoping that nothing funky turns up once your "insides have been processed by pathology"

The surgery went all right ... still recovering, but I did get out for a 2 km walk today so I'm on my way. Should find out what's what sometime this coming week. :)

@Machka9 - so pleased to hear this, I was thinking about you. Hope that any future treatment isn't too awful and that you're back in the saddle soon :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

For a long time I would have periods that builds up gradually for 3 or 4 days, then heavy for 3 or 4 days, then it tapers off for the next week. Then I'm free for a week. Then I spot for 2 or 3 days. Then I'm free for 10 days. Then I have a 2 week, fairly heavy period which begins to feel like it is never going to end. Then I'm free for 2 weeks ... woo-hoo! Then I gush for 3 or 4 days. Then I'm free for a week. Then I'll have one that kind of spots for 10 days.

I never know when they're going to start or finish or how heavy they'll be. But at least once a month I'll have a couple days of flooding among all the other stuff.

I got fed up with it all in late 2014 and saw a Dr who rushed me into a gynaecologist who rushed me into surgery. Apparently I had a very large polyp which turned out to be pre-cancerous. It was removed and things kind of settled a bit, but about a year ago, things were really wonky again. On an ultrasound, they found a cyst and a fibroid which may be causing some of that ... or it could just be perimenopause. Then a couple months later they discovered more pre-cancer.

So ... if you're bleeding for extended periods of time or spotting between periods ... see a Dr. I really thought it was all just a normal part of perimenopause but it wasn't.

Since I had that polyp removed in early 2015, I've been going for ultrasounds every 6 months to monitor the situation surrounding and in particular to see if any further polyps develop. I was told that if others developed, they could indicate a worsening of the pre-cancerous situation.

Well ... yesterday I was informed that another one has developed. So I'll be in surgery next Thursday to remove it + a D&C + treatment of the other pre-cancer they found.

They move quick! One minute I'm sitting in the Drs office ... next minute I'm filling out a massive pile of forms and stuff for surgery!

Anyway, again ... if things are wonky, don't just suffer through it. See someone. Ask questions. Go for tests. There might be a reason for it!

@Machka9

Here's to hoping that nothing funky turns up once your "insides have been processed by pathology"

The surgery went all right ... still recovering, but I did get out for a 2 km walk today so I'm on my way. Should find out what's what sometime this coming week. :)

I'm a bit slow in answering, but I'm glad everything went ok and that recovery seems to be going well. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that any follow-up treatment necessary will be minimal :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options

@Machka9

I'm a bit slow in answering, but I'm glad everything went ok and that recovery seems to be going well. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that any follow-up treatment necessary will be minimal :smile:

Everything is benign. :):)

Unfortunately I went into hyponatremia shortly after the surgery ... but recognised what was going on and was able to correct the water/electrolyte balance. My surgeon confirmed that I was doing the right thing.

And now I'm having an early period ... a much heavier one than anticipated. They do say that the first period or two after this surgery can be a bit unpredictable.

But at least everything is benign and I'm sure all this post surgery stuff will pass.

• Machka9
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hey ladies!

We get a lot of threads with titles like “TOM--gained a pound!” or “PMS and can’t stop eating!” This is my attempt to create a reference thread about those issues. Please add any info (especially good websites/resources/articles) that you may have about this subject.

Menstrual cycle basics

If you would like a much longer and well-illustrated explanation compared to the summary below, I urge you to watch this video. In general, though, your menstrual cycle has four phases:
    1. Menstruation phase - This phase starts on the first day of your period and lasts from 3-7 days for most women. This is when your body sheds its uterine lining if you are not pregnant.
    2. Follicular phase - This phase also starts on the first day of your period and lasts for around 13 days for a woman with a 28 day cycle. (Note: 28 days is an average but many women have different cycle lengths.) That means that the beginning of this phase runs concurrently with your period. This is when several of your eggs is maturing and getting ready for the next phase. Your body also starts to rebuild its uterine lining at this point.
    3. Ovulation phase - This phase happens around the midpoint of your 28 day cycle. This is when one of the eggs that was maturing is released from its ovary and makes its way into your fallopian tube where it hangs out for a day. (Side note: If you get pregnant, your pregnancy is dated from the first day of your last menstrual period, not from the date of conception or ovulation.)
    4. Luteal phase - This phase starts the day after ovulation. Your egg either meets and joins up with a sperm and fertilization occurs or it does not and simply disintegrates. If fertilization occurs, the fertilized egg makes its way to the uterus where it implants in the uterine lining. If fertilization does not occur, your progesterone levels eventually drop off, which triggers the shedding of your uterine lining. And thus another menstruation phase is born.

What does that have to do with losing weight?

Simply put, the hormonal changes (changing levels of estrogen and progesterone) that you go through during your menstrual cycle can cause you to retain water weight at both ovulation and leading up to your period. Water retention, or bloat, is commonly listed as a symptom of PMS, and it tends to peak on or around the onset of the menstrual phase. That means that a woman with a 28 day cycle could find herself retaining water every two weeks.

Now, water retention doesn’t occur for every woman and some women may find that they tend to retain water more at one point than at another but it is significant because a woman who has not previously tracked her weight may find it alarming or discouraging to see her weight loss stall (or reverse) every other week. For this reason, I am a big proponent of daily weigh-ins, as I believe that they help people understand the natural ebb and flow of their bodies’ weight cycles. If you know what to expect, you are less likely to be freaked out when it happens.

But why do I get PMS hunger? What should I do about it?

For the in-depth why, I suggest reading Lyle McDonald’s research review of this paper. It’s comprehensive but well-written and understandable. Here’s a quotation from the article:
    The major increase in energy expenditure occurs also during the luteal phase (when hunger is increased) with increases of 2.5-11.5% having been reported.

So we are talking a 45 to 207 calorie expenditure increase for a woman whose normal daily energy expenditure is 1800 calories per day. On its surface it might not sound like a lot. But when you consider that you are trying to lose weight and are eating in a deficit of 250+ calories per day, you should be able to understand why that extra expenditure makes you feel so much more hungry. To me, at least, it makes sense that if you increase your deficit by 20-80% or more, you are going to feel more hungry.

As for what to do about the increased hunger, I suggest either decreasing your calorie deficit or eating at maintenance. Most women find that their hungriest period lasts only 2-3 days. Making the conscious choice to eat a bit more for 2-3 days a month can prevent an extreme hunger-fueled binge. If you are really bothered by this idea, you could even reduce your calorie goal the rest of the month to make up for eating more at this time. A reduction of 36 calories per day over 25 days would “make up for” an increase of 900 calories total over 3 days.

Before I close, here are a few articles/resources that I find helpful when it comes to the subject of being female and trying to lose or maintain weight and how being female may or may not affect your training.

* http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/
    * http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/period-periodization-harnessing-the-power-of-your-cycle
    * http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes
    * http://www.ohsp.co.uk/influence-of-menstrual-cycle-on-strength-training-and-timing/
    * https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters
    * http://www.strengtheory.com/gender-differences-in-training-and-diet/#axzz3kRAhKHG5
    * http://www.strengtheory.com/do-women-need-to-train-any-differently/

Just thought I'd bump this again ... :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Bump ... oh and ... joy of all joys ... I've skipped a period! Woohoo! A step closer to the end! :) In another year or two this thread may not apply to me anymore. :grin:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Bump ... oh and ... joy of all joys ... I've skipped a period! Woohoo! A step closer to the end! :) In another year or two this thread may not apply to me anymore. :grin:

Lucky you!

Been on the pill 5 months now and I have heavier and longer bleeding (that starts two days before I start taking the placebo pills too), and horrible cramps. The only reason I'm sticking to it is because I seem to have lost the insane 'hangry' days leading up to it, but I'm afraid my anemia is worse and I'm feeling lethargic (and honestly depressed more often) so I'm not sure it's actually good in the long run... I did start taking it to have lighter periods, too.

Looks like another GYN visit in my near future (kids are on break so it's not happening for a few weeks anyway).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. My "woman's matters" are trying to kill me.

Besides painful menstrual cramps that make me lie on the floor and cry for my mother, I've been experiencing sharp pain during ovulation that I assumed were little cysts rupturing. The pain is sharp and if I'm walking I usually have to stop, or I have to grab onto something to help get me through the pain.

But the other day I'm walking down the street in Brooklyn and it happens. The WORST it's ever happened. I cannot walk and am literally afraid to move. So what else could I do but lie down on the sidewalk? Here I am on a busy city sidewalk, right outside the door of some diner.

Then I started fainting! I'm drenched in sweat. The heat, pain, and freaking myself out was just too much. Finally I let someone walk me to the Urgent Care that was only a block away. It was the longest block of my life. I'm telling you it was so difficult to walk.

Urgent Care sent me somewhere to get an ultrasound. Nothing. Just like last time.

WTF IS THIS?! It was a nightmare.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @bbell1985 that sounds so horrible, please don't stop until you find answers. That definitely sounds exactly like cysts, I can't believe they haven't found anything. Have you spoken with a gynecologist about it yet? Did they do the ultrasound only on the outside? I've had two friends that had to go to the hospital for cysts rupturing exactly like that!
  • Francl27
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Besides painful menstrual cramps that make me lie on the floor and cry for my mother, I've been experiencing sharp pain during ovulation that I assumed were little cysts rupturing. The pain is sharp and if I'm walking I usually have to stop, or I have to grab onto something to help get me through the pain.

But the other day I'm walking down the street in Brooklyn and it happens. The WORST it's ever happened. I cannot walk and am literally afraid to move. So what else could I do but lie down on the sidewalk? Here I am on a busy city sidewalk, right outside the door of some diner.

Then I started fainting! I'm drenched in sweat. The heat, pain, and freaking myself out was just too much. Finally I let someone walk me to the Urgent Care that was only a block away. It was the longest block of my life. I'm telling you it was so difficult to walk.

Urgent Care sent me somewhere to get an ultrasound. Nothing. Just like last time.

I had that with cysts. Ended up at the ER. I'm not sure why it hurt like it did because my cysts didn't rupture or twist or anything that I could tell. Just a very sharp pain. Periods are awful too.

Have you talked about it to your GYN?
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Who else is in the gain weight right before category?
  • Machka9
    Options
    TorStar80 wrote: »
    Great thread! Who else is in the gain weight right before category?

Most of us, I suspect. :)

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Nevermind :blush:
  • bbell1985
    Options

I had that with cysts. Ended up at the ER. I'm not sure why it hurt like it did because my cysts didn't rupture or twist or anything that I could tell. Just a very sharp pain. Periods are awful too.

Sorry, just seeing this.

I mean...I have kind of talked to one about it. No one cares. Everyone says it's normal. At this point it's starting to *kitten* with the quality of my life. It's not just the pain. The mood swings can be so severe. Ugh.

I want to go on a birth control, but that scares me too.
  • Francl27
    Options

Sorry, just seeing this.

I mean...I have kind of talked to one about it. No one cares. Everyone says it's normal. At this point it's starting to *kitten* with the quality of my life. It's not just the pain. The mood swings can be so severe. Ugh.

I stopped the pill. 2 weeks of bleeding after 5 months of use was just too much and the mood swings were even worse. Of course I ended up bleeding an extra week, and now one week later I'm showing signs of ovulation already.

*sigh*

But yeah, I spent 3 weeks pretty much crying non stop the last month I was on it (vs my usual 2-3 days) so I'm jealous of those people who said that the pill made things better for them... I did gain a couple pounds in those months, I've been hungrier overall but I haven't exactly made much of an effort to watch my diet too much (again, being depressed most of the time made me not care, honestly).

So pretty much a big fail for me and not really willing to try a new one at this point.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Sorry, just seeing this.

I stopped the pill. 2 weeks of bleeding after 5 months of use was just too much and the mood swings were even worse. Of course I ended up bleeding an extra week, and now one week later I'm showing signs of ovulation already.

*sigh*

But yeah, I spent 3 weeks pretty much crying non stop the last month I was on it (vs my usual 2-3 days) so I'm jealous of those people who said that the pill made things better for them... I did gain a couple pounds in those months, I've been hungrier overall but I haven't exactly made much of an effort to watch my diet too much (again, being depressed most of the time made me not care, honestly).

So pretty much a big fail for me and not really willing to try a new one at this point.

I never had painful ovulation until I stopped birth control, years ago. Now it makes me nervous.

So you just used it for that month? May I ask which you used?