Ketosis Diet

Options
124»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    A ketosis diet is a high fat, moderate protein, low to no carb diet. I just recently started this diet as well as intermittent fasting (which I've done in the past and have had good results that stayed off!)! I know so many people will probably give me flak for this but since Monday (3/21) I've lost 7 pounds! Most was probably water weight but possibly not! I've also started doing 30 minutes on my elliptical - I don't track speed, distance, or calories burned. I work on the 3rd floor and have only taken the stairs all week.

I want to know if there are any people on here that have tried this diet and if it has worked for you! If you're interested in doing this diet with me add me or msg me and we can talk about it together. I've done a lot of research on this and so far so good! I've had great results and energy!

@jaistrong00 best of success. Your Way Of Eating has been my WOE for 18 months now. I am getting rid of the power mobility scooter and making plans to be live instead of being house bound. I can now walk a mile or two if needed but do at least 1/4 mile daily on a steep road. Yes being 63 when I started this Oct 2014 there was a learning curve to wrap my old brain around LCHF and keep my carbs <50 grams daily and eat enough fats to make up the calories lost from ditching both sugar and all forms of grains which I did for possible joint and muscle pain management after Rx meds for 40 years had about done me in.

In 30 days I had good pain reduction so I plan to eat 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats as long as I keep my mind. :) I will modify if I find a medical reason to do so.

The few of the side effects beside good pain management 30 days in and 18 months later makes this WOE easy to stick with in my case. After 6 months of this WOE my 40 years of life defining IBS totally resolved and has not returned. My physical abilities at the age of 65 are greater than at 45 as are my health markers per my lab work.
    I can now get out of a car or my seat after watching a movie unaided. I can go 12 hours without eating and still not melt down due to a sugar crash in a few hours as was the case from eating my old WOE. I could go on and on about side effects like quality of family life, etc, etc.

Yes there are people who have never done any form of LCHF that will make remarks but you will handle them just fine. At my age my withdrawal from sugar and all grains cold turkey (tried tapering for 60 days and failed) made for a hellish first two weeks then the physical cravings just started to fade away and that made this WOE very sustainable for me. After 40 years of yo yo dieting with declining health every year I am excited about the new hope I have personally found in my LCHF Way Of Eating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Also, in case this is helpful. You can see here what type of weight that was lost:
    xjyekuuwszc8.jpg

According to these numbers, you lost 1.5lbs of muscle in 3 weeks....?

That sounds accurate. I get to start working out with weights and stuff this week. Working out was not recommended the first few weeks (after the 1st week, light workouts like walking was fine). It'll be interesting to see what happens with the numbers once I incorporate a workout.

Dont' put much faith in those numbers. There are numerous factors that will affect bioimpedance machines and their ratings. You are not going to lose that much muscle in such a short period of time, even without exercise.

In fact, I would put little faith in all bioimpedance machines. If it was a DEXA or hydrostatic, it would be a different story.

agreed with the bioimpedance, however, she is losing at a rate of over 4lbs per week. That's far from ideal and a lot of muscle loss is inevitable. Honestly, I would try to slow it down to ~2lbs per week.

It's extremely common to lose large amounts of weight when transition from a normal diet to keto due to glycogen depletion, adjustments in sodium levels, reductions to foods levels in your GI system, etc... Since the poster is almost done her 4th week, things should level out and I wouldn't expect her to see these huge swings, especially if she has finally become Keto-adapted. And if she starts exercising, I would suspect she will see a stall for a week or two.

~10lbs of water/glycogen weight seems like a lot, but I guess it's possible, I never did keto or VLC so I wouldn't know. But you're right, you would lose almost all your glycogen weight since you wouldn't be replenishing it with carbs. And if you're not exercising, it would be depleted over a few weeks instead of a few days as if you were exercising intensely.
    Also, in case this is helpful. You can see here what type of weight that was lost:
    xjyekuuwszc8.jpg

That sounds accurate. I get to start working out with weights and stuff this week. Working out was not recommended the first few weeks (after the 1st week, light workouts like walking was fine). It'll be interesting to see what happens with the numbers once I incorporate a workout.

Dont' put much faith in those numbers. There are numerous factors that will affect bioimpedance machines and their ratings. You are not going to lose that much muscle in such a short period of time, even without exercise.

In fact, I would put little faith in all bioimpedance machines. If it was a DEXA or hydrostatic, it would be a different story.

Thank you. If I am honest at this size all I really care about is seeing the number on the scale go down. My scale at home is 3lbs off of the scale at the clinic so I have a general idea of where I am regardless of what type of weight it is that's being lost. Once I hit my first goal, the rest of the numbers will matter.

We all lose lean body mass during weight loss.. it's very common, but for many, maintaining as much as possible is going to benefit you in the long run, even if it means slightly lower weight loss. Since muscle directly affects things like metabolic rate and leanness, the more you have, the more calories you will burn and the tighter your body will be when you get into the normal range. And I can't tell you how many members have stomach issues because they were a bit aggressive with their plans. And most people dont' realize how much easier it is to sustain muscle than gain new muscle.

Agreed.

It's more than glycogen.. there is fat loss, water/glycogen (this includes modification to sodium levels), volume reductions in digest food. I personally have seen males lose 20 lbs in short periods of time (like 2 weeks).

But I believe we are on the same page. But I would never suggest switching this quickly, especially since she is early on.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins Mark Sisson has commented on his elimination of IBS and arthritic pain due to his LCHF diet in a few interviews. I believe he is about your age as well.

I myself have experienced many plus sides to the diet and the only downside, really, is the food availability. I've grown to love avocados and nuts for sure. Luckily, I'm a rather avid meat eater, so I really didn't need to up my meat intake. Just swapped my carbs for low/carb veggies and leafy greens.

I think my biggest positive is the better sleep. I've noticed a significant rise in deep REM sleep.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    tuckabeau wrote: »
    Started this process last Sunday. Eating 2200 calories, 5% carbs, 75% fats and 20% protein. Lost 5 pounds first 4 days and then went to my son's house for Easter. Decided to just try to moderate and eat whatever they served. Felt awful and gained 3 pounds back. On the wagon again today and back to tracking. Next time we visit I will stay the course. Weather I just lost water or not does not matter, the water had to go away. Drinking between 80 & 100 ounces of water daily.

@tuckabeau welcome to MFP forums and best of success with your new Way Of Eating. You can read about my experience in my reply to @jaistrong00. I encourage you and others on the WOE to join LCHF groups on MFP. The one below is the one I visit the most often. You have request to join but at a click the button you can remove yourself if you wish.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    dorje77 wrote: »
    I'm doing it (1 year).

I've no more fat to lose, but I'm not considering switching back to high carb protocol... I've experienced too much advantages. :)

Same here. Well I want to lose another 20 pounds as my health recovers more but I have maintained without much effort at 200 for the past 12 months. This is a first for me after 40 years of yo yo'ing weight.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins Mark Sisson has commented on his elimination of IBS and arthritic pain due to his LCHF diet in a few interviews. I believe he is about your age as well.

I myself have experienced many plus sides to the diet and the only downside, really, is the food availability. I've grown to love avocados and nuts for sure. Luckily, I'm a rather avid meat eater, so I really didn't need to up my meat intake. Just swapped my carbs for low/carb veggies and leafy greens.

I think my biggest positive is the better sleep. I've noticed a significant rise in deep REM sleep.

@drwilseyjr I have read some of Mark Sisson' experience with LCHF. The doctors told me Aug 2014 to come back in Nov 2014 to start Enbrel injections and to read up on Enbrel. Quickly I computed at my very low state of health Enbrel risks might be too much for my wrecked immune system. My wife who is a pharmacist was saying NO, NO and NO and with my background (hold an OD degree from SCO 1986) I started to research my options. Actually I cut out all grains and sugar before I knew what LCHF and was in ketosis before I knew what it was. :)

Thanks for sharing and the best of success.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My friend is doing keto, his bathroom smells fierce at all times. No thank you.

What is Leto? I'm assuming that is a typo. And if your friend is having severe GI issues, I would recommend that he see a doctor as that is not a common side effect of Keto.

Perhaps, but if he's doing Keto, then I doubt he would listen to what his doctor had to say...

What is that even supposed to mean? Are you automatically making an assumption that a very low carb diet would not be supported by a medical professional? Because my doctor is actually who recommended that I try this WOE.

All I can say is that I'd try to find a new doctor... But that's just me.

Well thank you so much for your completely useless contribution to this thread.

LOL :D
    My doctor advised keto too. He's an md who decided to specialize in orthomolecular medicine (optimal health through nutrition and supplements).

Exactly the kind of doctor people should avoid. How much are you paying in worthless herbal supplements?

LOL Nothing. He tested my nutrients and only perscribed more vitamin A and iodine to help with my Hashimoto's treatment
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    xjyekuuwszc8.jpg

Thank you. If I am honest at this size all I really care about is seeing the number on the scale go down. My scale at home is 3lbs off of the scale at the clinic so I have a general idea of where I am regardless of what type of weight it is that's being lost. Once I hit my first goal, the rest of the numbers will matter.

The ketogenic diet is quite muscle sparing once you are keto adapted. As long as you are exceeding your minimum protein intake, you will lose no more muscle (and possibly less) than any other calorie reduced diet.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    xjyekuuwszc8.jpg

The ketogenic diet is quite muscle sparing once you are keto adapted. As long as you are exceeding your minimum protein intake, you will lose no more muscle (and possibly less) than any other calorie reduced diet.

It's only muscle sparring if protein is at adequate levels. Inherently, many will increase their protein intake with the reduction in carbs; keto, in and by itself, isn't muscle sparring. You are still required to eat adequate protein levels (generally recognized to be around .8-1g of pro per lb of lean body mass) and do resistance training. And several of the keto papers I have read on this indicate just that.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    xjyekuuwszc8.jpg

It's only muscle sparring if protein is at adequate levels. Inherently, many will increase their protein intake with the reduction in carbs; keto, in and by itself, isn't muscle sparring. You are still required to eat adequate protein levels (generally recognized to be around .8-1g of pro per lb of lean body mass) and do resistance training. And several of the keto papers I have read on this indicate just that.

That's basically what I said.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    xjyekuuwszc8.jpg

That's basically what I said.

There is more to it than what you said. There are recommended levels of protein and their are optimal levels of protein and you didn't address the other component, which is resistance training. Both are required to minimize loss of lean body mass.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I've been following the diet since October. I have the support of my primary care doctor, my rheumatologist, and my cardiologist so I feel it's a safe plan. I think too many people get the differences between ketosis and ketoacidosis mixed up. Also I do not have a gallbladder and I do fine with the high fats. I had IBS issues since having it removed and now they're pretty well gone! This plan isn't for everyone and that's fine. I do better on this diet than a higher carb plan but it's not everyone's cup of tea.