Why do people on Myfitnesspal ask for motivation and support?

Options
Since I joined, I have seen numerous threads on Myfitnesspal asking for motivation and support for losing weight, gaining weight, or whatever it may be, but if they truly wanted to accomplish their fitness goals, they shouldn't need any one to encourage them on. Shouldn't the encouragement and determination already be predestined and come from within/themselves? It just boggles my mind a bit.

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Because people are different and need different things to achieve their goals.
  • Gene81972
    Gene81972 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You yourself may not need encouragement to lose weight but I'm sure you appreciate encouragement in other aspects of life. Like Vingogly said, different folks need different things. But don't sweat it, you don't have to do anything you don't want to.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I believe you don't understand the meaning of the word "predestined" or you wouldn't have used it in this context.

I guess your question in a roundabout way is why isn't everyone entirely self- motivated? The question is why should weight loss be any different to other situations in life where people undertake something difficult or learn a new skill and appreciate the support of others?
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Some of us need just do a whole lot better as part of a team. I joined lots of groups on here and I find them crucial to my success. I can achieve seemingly impossible things when I am working on them alongside others also working on similar goals. Experience has taught me I am not someone who does well alone. I have a basic need to give and receive support and encouragement. I am always looking to help others and seeking people who I think I could share genuine mutual support with.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You can be self motivated but still find the process more enjoyable with a group of like minded people. People you swap cookie recipes with or talk to about training for the half marathon.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The psychology with regard to weight loss is much more difficult than the steps to lose weight. Lose weight = consume less calories than you burn. However, to actually follow those simple steps are much more difficult for some without encouragement and support.
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This post reads like a teen who's not taken a basic psychology class.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Have you ever played a sport? You probably joined it voluntarily and made it to practice on good days, but on rough days where you were tired or your friends were out having fun it was a lot harder to say you wanted to go to practice. You go because you have a coach and a team that is counting on you being there. People looking for motivation are often going through a rough patch and need someone there cheering them on. They want people who may have more knowledge than them to "coach" them and tell them how to make improvements.

All of this might seem easier to someone without a spouse or kids or a career and huge obligations. Eating well and getting exercise are a lot harder for people who have a packed schedule or have developed poor habits over many years. Nothing wrong with just having people to vent to on a bad day.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Since I joined, I have seen numerous threads on Myfitnesspal asking for motivation and support for losing weight, gaining weight, or whatever it may be, but if they truly wanted to accomplish their fitness goals, they shouldn't need any one to encourage them on. Shouldn't the encouragement and determination already be predestined and come from within/themselves? It just boggles my mind a bit.

Predestined?

We're social beings. It's entirely expected/fine/natural to want and need support
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Does it boggle your mind now? Really?

Thank you to all my MFP for the amazing support you have given me.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm alone all day. My husband, while supportive, isn't on this weight loss journey with me. I wouldn't be able to eat right, at a deficit and exercise if I wasn't self motivated. It helps so much to have the great people here at MFP to support my efforts, answer questions and also to be supportive when I can as well. We all have things in common here. It's like belonging to a club.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    In a way, I understand your point, as I am a very, very self-motivated person and always have been a bit rebellious. I want to lose weight for a variety of reasons, but one of them is just to prove that I can TO MYSELF.

To others points, however - not everyone is built the way that we are, and people DO need encouragement and somewhere to go when things are difficult. For myself, I have a solid group of good friends (IRL) who encourage me, plus the absolute best husband on the planet. Not everyone has a solid support group IRL, and it's great that MFP can offer that to those individuals.

So basically. Just keep in mind that we're all different and have different needs. And try your best to not judge :)
  • trinateegardens
    trinateegardens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    In a way, I understand your point, as I am a very, very self-motivated person and always have been a bit rebellious. I want to lose weight for a variety of reasons, but one of them is just to prove that I can TO MYSELF.

To others points, however - not everyone is built the way that we are, and people DO need encouragement and somewhere to go when things are difficult. For myself, I have a solid group of good friends (IRL) who encourage me, plus the absolute best husband on the planet. Not everyone has a solid support group IRL, and it's great that MFP can offer that to those individuals.

So basically. Just keep in mind that we're all different and have different needs. And try your best to not judge :)

I understand, I'm very self motivated myself. Nobody on the internet gives me the support I need, for real. But its something about them having the same goals as me. My support has to come from my family though.
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    After I made this post I went back to the discussion board and saw another large amount of people asking for supporters in their goals. I know people are different and have different needs, but I'm still surprised so many people on here want/need people to help them through their fitness goals. The way I always been, it didn't matter whether people supported me or not, if I wanted something I will do it. It really wouldn't have affected me determination wise/goal wise. Apparently there are many people out there who really do need supporters though.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Having friends on here makes the app way more interesting. How boring to just go it alone! I like having people on here to chat with. I like that I can not only share my journey, but that I can witness others achieve their goals as well. You're looking at it from just one side- that some people just need supporters. But it isn't just one sided. All of those asking for support and motivation are giving just as much as they get.

Accomplishing your goals might come easily to you, but don't bring into disrepute those who need a support system.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Must be lonely in your perfect little world.. Good luck with them social skills..
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I feel that the community here is very supportive and it a huge part of what makes people successful. I know connecting with individuals who had the same goals as me helped me through my weight loss journey.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    because they are looking for someone to blame when they fail and eventually drop out mostly.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    because they are looking for someone to blame when they fail and eventually drop out mostly.

Evidence?
  • CollieFit
    Options
    I did think the OP looked about 15. Now I'm beginning to wonder if he is.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10361171/ugh