Why do people on Myfitnesspal ask for motivation and support?

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    After I made this post I went back to the discussion board and saw another large amount of people asking for supporters in their goals. I know people are different and have different needs, but I'm still surprised so many people on here want/need people to help them through their fitness goals. The way I always been, it didn't matter whether people supported me or not, if I wanted something I will do it. It really wouldn't have affected me determination wise/goal wise. Apparently there are many people out there who really do need supporters though.

Obviously, you do too or you wouldn't have bothered to start a fishing thread complaining about people fishing for motivation.

Maybe the OP requires "attention" more than support. ;)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Aren't we all here for the same reason?

squats and deadlifts?

We also have to figure out what works for our individual unique snowflake bodies...

...which is also squats and deadlifts.

and RKC planks
  • CollieFit
    Options
    I think you're getting determination and advice confused. People can be determined and encourage to lose weight but need help figuring out how to do it. I lost 80 pounds a long time ago and I'm just starting up again and I need advice on what works and what doesn't. Be careful how you word things because not everyone takes it the same way.

He's still trying to work out what "predestined" actually means. LOL

• naches704
    naches704 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't feed the trolls. ;) Do whatever works for you; solo or with friends. Nobody needs to justify their methods to anyone else. Results are the only thing that matter. <3
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Since I joined, I have seen numerous threads on Myfitnesspal asking for motivation and support for losing weight, gaining weight, or whatever it may be, but if they truly wanted to accomplish their fitness goals, they shouldn't need any one to encourage them on. Shouldn't the encouragement and determination already be predestined and come from within/themselves? It just boggles my mind a bit.

There's nothing wrong with seeking out people in the same battle as you for comfort, but I agree with the point you're getting at. I feel as though when people post about wanting motivation from people they're expecting someone else to somehow shoulder the responsibility for the work they have to do. Like someone will say some magic words that will make gym sessions happen and prevent overeating. It's just one of those early lessons people who are new to all this need to and probably will learn.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    You obviously don't have a food addiction. Food addiction can be for some, just as bad as drug or alcohol addiction. It can be motivational for us to be around others with the same struggle, or to hear from others that have taken control of their food addiction. For some of us, the call of Chili Cheese Fritos or Oreos is louder and stronger than the motivation that we have...because we are addicted.

You keep using that word.

She's addicted to using the word addiction.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Actually I see what the OP means too, and personally I think I'm pretty self-motivated and a believer of "life's what you make it". But I think there is a difference in thinking "Personally I feel I don't require support from strangers. I feel I've got this, thank you." and starting a thread on the motivation and support section of a forum stating "Why do people feel they need others for motivation and support??? Well the mind boggles!!".
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    not only are humans by nature gregarious animals, but most learn by encouragement from infancy. our parents smile and praise us as we learn to talk, to walk and to feed ourselves. it goes from there, and it's both normal and a good thing for those who choose to live in the human social structure.

i'm usually a very self-contained person, more than the average. i do better learning things on my own than in classes, hate working out in groups and reading was my first passion. but i must admit that i get a kick out of having one of my long-term MFP friends with similar goals hit one of my activities with a "like" when i've busted butt to keep going or had a sweat-pumping workout.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Local young person blown away that some people think differently than he does.
    "Why can't they all be as awesome as I am?," he asks.
    Full story at 11.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    naches704 wrote: »
    Do whatever works for you; solo or with friends. Nobody needs to justify their methods to anyone else.

This. Moreover, don't let lack of support, or the competition and hurt feelings that can happen when friends get differing results, deter you.

• Debi_Blood
    Debi_Blood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Since I joined, I have seen numerous threads on Myfitnesspal asking for motivation and support for losing weight, gaining weight, or whatever it may be, but if they truly wanted to accomplish their fitness goals, they shouldn't need any one to encourage them on. Shouldn't the encouragement and determination already be predestined and come from within/themselves? It just boggles my mind a bit.

Anthony, I understand what you're saying. Some of us do better alone (me for one and apparently you too) and some of us do better in groups where there is support and encouragement. I say whatever works to get a person to their fitness goal can only be good. :smiley:

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Oh the irony in this thread......... OP posts condescending remarks...... "support community" replies with condescending remarks....... LOLZ
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Know what else boggles my mind? Cosplay. I just don't get it. But you know what? I also realize that humans are individuals with different personalities, needs and interests so if it's not hurting anyone, go for it. Stay out of the "Motivation and Support" board and the irritation will dissolve, I promise :wink:
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I support you OP
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I support you OP

This is why we can't have nice things!!!!!
  • rmh1262
    rmh1262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weight loss or gain is not easy for everyone and there are some who need the encouragement. If the encouragement were "predestined" they would need to gain or lose in the first place.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    sylkates wrote: »
    Local young person blown away that some people think differently than he does.
    "Why can't they all be as awesome as I am?," he asks.
    Full story at 11.

love this, I would watch you on the news

• anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Some of you seem to think I am irritated by these people who want motivation and support. Which isn't the case at all. I thought goals should be self-driven instead of asking for people to support them in their goals. I always been better working at things on my own, but I guess it all boils down to people just being different. Based on the responses here, most disagree with me and some agree, but at the end of the day I guess go for whatever works in your fitness journey.
  • rmh1262
    rmh1262 Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Some of you seem to think I am irritated by these people who want motivation and support. Which isn't the case at all. I thought goals should be self-driven instead of asking for people to support them in their goals. I always been better working at things on my own, but I guess it all boils down to people just being different. Based on the responses here, most disagree with me and some agree, but at the end of the day I guess go for whatever works in your fitness journey.

And there you have it...great job coming to that conclusion young man! :smiley:
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

It boggles my mind when people refer to life and fitness as a "journey."