Why do people on Myfitnesspal ask for motivation and support?

Options

Replies

• anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I did think the OP looked about 15. Now I'm beginning to wonder if he is.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10361171/ugh

Look at my profile, It clearly says I am 20 years old.
  • tanyajensen75
    tanyajensen75 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I guess I am curious on why one would join a weight loss community for anything other than accountability and support. I don't need constant motivation verbally, but I look at the success stories, read about others when they mess up and get right back in it and I also enjoy the challenges. It's good to know we are not alone. I don't have support at home, so it's nice to find it here.
  • anthony150paolucci
    Options
    I guess I am curious on why one would join a weight loss community for anything other than accountability and support. I don't need constant motivation verbally, but I look at the success stories, read about others when they mess up and get right back in it and I also enjoy the challenges. It's good to know we are not alone. I don't have support at home, so it's nice to find it here.

The main reason I use this website is to track calories really. It makes me wonder if nobody got any support on here, would they back out of their fitness goal entirely? That seems alarming to me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all here for the same reason?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The answer is everyone is different. I'm pretty much a "do-it-yourselfer", but I've found that people on MFP, especially those that have been around awhile, understand what I'm going though. If I hit a rough patch, I read the boards and there's always good advice and inspiration. After you've been here for some time, you will know what I'm saying.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand it either but everyone is different and maybe they THINK they need that community of people. Whether or not they really do - who knows - but it's a learning experience for everyone. You try things, some things stick to the wall, other things don't.
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Isn't it a little condescending to post this IN the motivation/support boards?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    After I made this post I went back to the discussion board and saw another large amount of people asking for supporters in their goals. I know people are different and have different needs, but I'm still surprised so many people on here want/need people to help them through their fitness goals. The way I always been, it didn't matter whether people supported me or not, if I wanted something I will do it. It really wouldn't have affected me determination wise/goal wise. Apparently there are many people out there who really do need supporters though.

Obviously, you do too or you wouldn't have bothered to start a fishing thread complaining about people fishing for motivation.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I did think the OP looked about 15. Now I'm beginning to wonder if he is.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10361171/ugh

Look at my profile, It clearly says I am 20 years old.

Everyone lies...
  • anthony150paolucci
    Options
    nfpswife wrote: »
    Isn't it a little condescending to post this IN the motivation/support boards?

What would have been a better category?
  • anthony150paolucci
    edited March 2016
    Options
    After I made this post I went back to the discussion board and saw another large amount of people asking for supporters in their goals. I know people are different and have different needs, but I'm still surprised so many people on here want/need people to help them through their fitness goals. The way I always been, it didn't matter whether people supported me or not, if I wanted something I will do it. It really wouldn't have affected me determination wise/goal wise. Apparently there are many people out there who really do need supporters though.

Obviously, you do too or you wouldn't have bothered to start a fishing thread complaining about people fishing for motivation.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm not fishing for anything. I wasn't complaining about people. I was just really blown away by all the support threads. That's why I made this one in response.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Eh?

Are you honestly asking why some people like having a social support network to help them with a process (in this case fitness or a weight related goal) which they may find stressful?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Since I joined, I have seen numerous threads on Myfitnesspal asking for motivation and support for losing weight, gaining weight, or whatever it may be, but if they truly wanted to accomplish their fitness goals, they shouldn't need any one to encourage them on. Shouldn't the encouragement and determination already be predestined and come from within/themselves? It just boggles my mind a bit.

I agree with you, with respect to my own experience, to the extent that I lost weight long before MFP existed, with a partner who wasn't interested in weight loss, who worried that I was going to throw his chips and cookies in the trash. Some people do better without getting distracted by seeking any kind of attention (like me, sometimes). I could easily be a complete attention wh**e and not get anything done, but I've learned to enjoy the camaraderie, and do the grunt work that gets results.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm not fishing for anything. I wasn't complaining about people. I was just really blown away by all the support threads. That's why I made this one in response.

Ummmm...yeah, yes you were. You are complaining. Why does it bother you anyway? They aren't asking you directly. They aren't flooding your inbox with messages of Please Anthony you look so young and fit please help me. If you don't like seeing it then hide the motivation section from your view then carry on.

Goodbye, good luck and stay in school
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    MFP is what it is because of its community.
    I'm a bit confused by your post. If you're Mr Motivation, and feel that support is not necessary (good for you!), then
    why are you on the Motivation & Support thread long enough to make a post complaining about people asking for motivation and support.

Maybe.. just maybe.. there is more than one acceptable approach to weight loss.
    If you are bothered by someone asking for help, I would suggest you stick to the other forums.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

squats and deadlifts?
  • kaylasgriffin88
    kaylasgriffin88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think you're getting determination and advice confused. People can be determined and encourage to lose weight but need help figuring out how to do it. I lost 80 pounds a long time ago and I'm just starting up again and I need advice on what works and what doesn't. Be careful how you word things because not everyone takes it the same way.
  • charlylou62
    charlylou62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You obviously don't have a food addiction. Food addiction can be for some, just as bad as drug or alcohol addiction. It can be motivational for us to be around others with the same struggle, or to hear from others that have taken control of their food addiction. For some of us, the call of Chili Cheese Fritos or Oreos is louder and stronger than the motivation that we have...because we are addicted.
  • jofjltncb6
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You obviously don't have a food addiction. Food addiction can be for some, just as bad as drug or alcohol addiction. It can be motivational for us to be around others with the same struggle, or to hear from others that have taken control of their food addiction. For some of us, the call of Chili Cheese Fritos or Oreos is louder and stronger than the motivation that we have...because we are addicted.

You keep using that word.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

squats and deadlifts?

We also have to figure out what works for our individual unique snowflake bodies...

...which is also squats and deadlifts.