Sugar-free drinks: the good, the bad and the 'we should be aware'!

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners. As for your final question, how about water? You could get expensive water if that makes it more enjoyable.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Ironically that thread about the guy who said the eat chocolate to lose weight was actually an intentional 'study' done to prove that medical journalism is not always truthful either.
    That being said, the study referenced (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jgs.13376/full) has been hashed and rehashed before. Where are the 'many studies' referenced?
    I don't like diet soda, it's just the taste to me, so I'm not a diet soda advocate but some of it is just 'something I heard 5 years ago a friend said". I don't doubt most of us have believed something erroneously that a friend told you or was in an article or in this case a single study, but it doesn't make it true across the board.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    Often, being an "extreme researcher" is to your detriment, because it leads you into bad corners of the internet where you read that chocolate makes you lose weight because someone paid a few hundred dollars to put it in a journal somewhere....there will always somewhere be "the other side" supported, for every issue. Especially every health issue. Reading every study as if they're all equally valid and ignoring the lines between mainstream science and fringe is about as helpful as thinking you're near a doctor because you research on WebMD to the extreme.

Yep, if you have 100 pieces of data, you can't weight them all equally. Some studies are going to be constructed better than others or be more relevant to the question at hand. I notice many people who are "extreme researchers" will focus on dubious or discredited studies (or other sources of information). Or they will rely on people who aggregate studies and sometimes misrepresent what the science actually shows (like Food Babe or Mercola).

Data, by itself, isn't enough to make the decision. You have to be able to evaluate the data.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Ironically that thread about the guy who said the eat chocolate to lose weight was actually an intentional 'study' done to prove that medical journalism is not always truthful either.

Hehe, that was the point! Glad it didn't escape notice :blush:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I drank Diet Pepsi most every day while losing 121 pounds, I wonder how that happen. I must of been a miracle!! ;)
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The reason I haven't is because it wouldn't matter if I gave you something from the CDC, FDA, etc. you'd still find something wrong with them.
    In other words you have nothing. Just your baseless assertions. Because if you had something of substance, you'd post it. And so what if someone found something wrong with something you posted, I mean you're such a great researcher you should be very familiar with what your posting and be able to defend it, unless of course you can't defend it because you realize you're position is weak due to being it all based on confirmation bias.
    I'm a researcher to the extreme of what I'll put into my family's bodies (that happens when you deal with sick kids from XXXXXXXX) and I expect if people truly want to know the truth, they'll go looking for it..
    But the problem is that you are not a researcher, real researchers spend their days in labs pouring over data for days, weeks, years on end. And thats after spending 8 years in college of rigorous study in their respective field. You got a weekend degree in Google U. Really doesnt compare. Your version of research pretty much boils down to finding websites that agree with what you already believe.
    Beyond that, I won't waste my time beyond a few sentences..

But you spent a fair amount of time already on this thread with a couple of long posts. Why wouldn't you take a few extra seconds to post the requested links to prove your baseless assertions? Oh that's right, because you have none.
    I can tit for tat all day long but my life is too busy and I have better things to do.
    Funny, i dont think real researchers "tit for tat." They debate with, you know, with real science.

Do your own research and come to your own conclusion. That is what it means to be an informed consumer.
    Again, there's that word research. I dont think it means what you think it means. What happens if the "research" your doing is completely wrong, like getting information from pseudoscientific quack websites. Then your conclusion will be incorrect. Or what if the "research" is done your way, you know, where you start with a conclusion and find the information to confirm what you already beleieve. Either way you end up a misinformed cosumer.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Study makes it sound like those people never drank water.
    I wonder if people that never drink water, simply don't focus on exercising and other healthy eating habits.
    I can't see someone drinking a diet coke with a kale salad.

More: There are a lot of people that do not drink any daily water
    I simply meant the study could be skewed by using these people for the purpose of a good article.

I consume kale (and other greens) with diet soda regularly. Just because *you* can't see something doesn't mean it isn't happening.

+1

Currently consuming lettuce-wrapped veggie burger with Cherry Coke Zero.
  • Thermogenic
    Thermogenic Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Urbanetta wrote: »
    My own, highly unscientific research shows that jury does seem to be out still on the longer-term effects of artificial sweetners because....yes, far from being exhausted, more research is needed.

Americans have been drinking diet sodas (Diet Rite and Tab) since 1958. If almost 60 years of millions of people consuming it isn't good enough to determine long term effects, then I don't know what will satisfy you.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Often, being an "extreme researcher" is to your detriment, because it leads you into bad corners of the internet where you read that chocolate makes you lose weight because someone paid a few hundred dollars to put it in a journal somewhere....there will always somewhere be "the other side" supported, for every issue. Especially every health issue. Reading every study as if they're all equally valid and ignoring the lines between mainstream science and fringe is about as helpful as thinking you're near a doctor because you research on WebMD to the extreme.

Yep!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I twisted my ankle while out for a walk over the weekend. I recommend everyone give up walking. It's just too dangerous. I've since told my family to stop walking and any thread that gets started here on walking I immediately tell them how dangerous it is. There have definitely been a ton of studies/blogs supporting this, I'm just not going to link any. Anyone that disagrees with me or asks me to provide proof I will accuse of being mean.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    My own, highly unscientific research shows that jury does seem to be out still on the longer-term effects of artificial sweetners because....yes, far from being exhausted, more research is needed.

Americans have been drinking diet sodas (Diet Rite and Tab) since 1958. If almost 60 years of millions of people consuming it isn't good enough to determine long term effects, then I don't know what will satisfy you.

Boom.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I twisted my ankle while out for a walk over the weekend. I recommend everyone give up walking. It's just too dangerous. I've since told my family to stop walking and any thread that gets started here on walking I immediately tell them how dangerous it is. There have definitely been a ton of studies/blogs supporting this, I'm just not going to link any. Anyone that disagrees with me or asks me to provide proof I will accuse of being mean.

Oh. My. God. Thank you so much for the warning! I was about to walk out to my car to leave work, but now I'm going to stay in my chair and just wheel myself out. I should be okay going down the stairs. Thank you again!
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Oh. My. God. Thank you so much for the warning! I was about to walk out to my car to leave work, but now I'm going to stay in my chair and just wheel myself out. I should be okay going down the stairs. Thank you again!

tumblr_ml48xebhwK1rdh9g0o1_500.gif
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

So any thoughts much appreciated and any low-calories alcohol subsititutes members enjoy for that early evening moment when willpower falters! Cheers to you all.

I love La Croix. No artificial sweeteners. Also there is a brand called deer park (don't know if it's regional, but also 0 calories) that has a lovely raspberry lime flavor, that tastes like a super expensive cocktail to me.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Artificial sugars either good or bad allows one to maintain there sugar addiction without the weight gain- brilliant!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Personally I try and stay away from anything diet, including artificial sugars, particularly aspartame .
    Sure they may be deemed "safe" , but I just can not make myself take the risk, just in case future studies prove the current ones wrong. Something just doesn't sit right with me when it comes to this stuff.
    My gut feeling says stay away, it hasn't steered me wrong yet...
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    OP -why not try sparkling mineral water or plain soda water if you desire a drink with fizz. You could add a dash of freshly squeezed lemon or lime.

The other interesting way to zest up plain drinking water is to chill it overnight add preferred things like sliced cucumber, berries, mint leaves etc....if artificial sweeteners don't appeal there are many other alternatives for hydration.

Even given a chance plain drinking water takes on a charm of its own after persisting with it, as long as you live in an area that has a good supply....safe yourself heaps in the long run and chances are drinking more water you will look back and wonder how you ever coped being so under hydrated for so long, at least that has been my experience.

As others have said, read up as much as you can an be informed, but choose your sources wisely, make sure they come from reputable scientific studies not blogs and such as there is SO much misinformation and scaremongering agendas abounding out there around these topics it can end up doing a number on your stress levels.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

This is absolutely untrue. If you people think that only "scientists" can do any worthwhile research you are deluded. I hope to God some day your kid's lives don't depend on you being able to "research" according to your standards. My kid is only alive today because of the amount of research we had to do to save his life. I have ZERO (catch those capitals) trust or confidence in someone just because they have MD, or anything else after their name that indicates they have some sort of science background. It was this momma's research that kept her boy alive and today is living a normal life because "science" yahoos didn't have a freakin' clue how to help him.

And to the JA that said "I have nothing," I feel absolutely no inclination to add diddly squat here. I "have" plenty but adding to this will only prolong a thread I have give way too much time to already. I'm well aware of the waste of time it is to try and teach people anything that have no desire to learn or see the other side. What is terribly clear on these boards is anything considered in the alternative realm is suspect and when I enter that realization, I'm just done. Conk yourselves over the head with your "research" because they often come back to say they were wrong - after they've screwed up people's lives, or better yet, people have died. Vioxx anyone?

So y'all drink your nutrasweet and sucralose, etc. and enjoy it. It is a free country (at least for now). But I certainly hope to God if any of you ever have a loved one's life on the line because idiot "researchers" or doctors give up on them that you have more fortitude and open mindedness then you do now.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

This is absolutely untrue. If you people think that only "scientists" can do any worthwhile research you are deluded. I hope to God some day your kid's lives don't depend on you being able to "research" according to your standards. My kid is only alive today because of the amount of research we had to do to save his life. I have ZERO (catch those capitals) trust or confidence in someone just because they have MD, or anything else after their name that indicates they have some sort of science background. It was this momma's research that kept her boy alive and today is living a normal life because "science" yahoos didn't have a freakin' clue how to help him.

And to the JA that said "I have nothing," I feel absolutely no inclination to add diddly squat here. I "have" plenty but adding to this will only prolong a thread I have give way too much time to already. I'm well aware of the waste of time it is to try and teach people anything that have no desire to learn or see the other side. What is terribly clear on these boards is anything considered in the alternative realm is suspect and when I enter that realization, I'm just done. Conk yourselves over the head with your "research" because they often come back to say they were wrong - after they've screwed up people's lives, or better yet, people have died. Vioxx anyone?

So y'all drink your nutrasweet and sucralose, etc. and enjoy it. It is a free country (at least for now). But I certainly hope to God if any of you ever have a loved one's life on the line because idiot "researchers" or doctors give up on them that you have more fortitude and open mindedness then you do now.

I guess ignorance truly is bliss. I've seen your kind of pseudoscience kill loved ones. Fortunately, the smart ones I love were saved by real doctors. Science is all we have. It's not perfect and our knowledge is ever developing, but God, televangelists, positive energy, cleanses, juicing, eastern "medicine," and the rest of "alternative medicine" are all B.S. If it wasn't then it would just be "medicine." If that's difficult for you to understand then you're part of the problem, and may Darwin have you.