Sugar-free drinks: the good, the bad and the 'we should be aware'!

Options

Replies

• karenoneill94
    karenoneill94 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't believe many substances have been scrutinised as much as artificial sweeteners. I've read quite a lot of scientific literature on sweeteners, and I'm prepared to take my chances.

The only three reasons I try not to drink *excessive* amounts of cola are:

1. Too much caffeine makes me jumpy.
    2. The diet versions may not have sugar, but they're too acidic to be much good for your dental health.
    3. Phosphorous and Calcium are regulated by your body in the same pathway. Too much phosphoric acid intake can lead to your body withdrawing Calcium, IIRC.

My husband ended up with a huge painful calcium-based kidney stone after a couple of decades of heavy drinking of Coca-Cola (2 liters per day!) due to the phosphoric acid binding to calcium. Calcium stones can't be broken up by lithotripsy, so they had to do surgery to go get them. He hasn't touched a Coke since!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    NewDeb14 wrote: »
    I get bad headaches from artificial sweeteners, so for me personally, deem them to be unsafe. A friend of mine had symptoms of lupus for years until her doctor suggested she give up diet drinks. When she did, the symptoms went away. I'm not here to tell you all to use or not to use them, but there symptoms and diseases that can happen with long term use. I had found a list of diseases or symptoms of diseases that are developed from long term use of artificial sweeteners a while back on the FDA website. Although the one I'm posting as a link isn't the same one, it still shows what I'm talking about. The choice is yours.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

That is a docket.
    What is a docket?

http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/transparency/basics/ucm194912.htm

Mark Gold, you can google that guy. As crazy as they come.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I get bad headaches from artificial sweeteners, so for me personally, deem them to be unsafe. A friend of mine had symptoms of lupus for years until her doctor suggested she give up diet drinks. When she did, the symptoms went away. I'm not here to tell you all to use or not to use them, but there symptoms and diseases that can happen with long term use. I had found a list of diseases or symptoms of diseases that are developed from long term use of artificial sweeteners a while back on the FDA website. Although the one I'm posting as a link isn't the same one, it still shows what I'm talking about. The choice is yours.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

You do realize that this is a submission docket to the FDA from someone. That someone being from the "Aspartame Toxicity Information Center" which appears now to go by the name holisticmed.com

http://www.holisticmed.com/cfs/gold.html

I mean, come on.
    Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 11:12 PM
    To: fdadockets@oc.fda.gov
    Subject: Docket # 02P-0317 Recall Aspartame as a Neurotoxic Drug: File
    #4: Reported Aspartame Toxicity Reactions

Subject: Docket # 02P-0317

To: FDA Dockets Submittal

Aspartame Toxicity Information Center
    12 East Side Dr., Suite 2-18
    Concord, NH 03301
    603-225-2110

• Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I run a weight loss program at work. In my experience, Aspartame and Sucralose will stall my patients in their loss - Xylitol has stalled me at one time during my own weight loss - I also read yesterday that artificially sweetened drinks are hard on tooth enamel and damaging

Stevia and Xylitol are better options for sweeteners because they are derived from plants
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I run a weight loss program at work. In my experience, Aspartame and Sucralose will stall my patients in their loss - Xylitol has stalled me at one time during my own weight loss - I also read yesterday that artificially sweetened drinks are hard on tooth enamel and damaging

Stevia and Xylitol are better options for sweeteners because they are derived from plants

You're saying artificial sweeteners damage tooth enamel? Or do you mean the acid in diet soda damages tooth enamel?
  • stevencloser
    Options

So, how would they stall weight loss?
  • stevencloser
    Options

Another quote from the same one, hits the nail firmly on its head.

05b31aa669c184fa17cbb4e9ee9cfaf2.png
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I run a weight loss program at work. In my experience, Aspartame and Sucralose will stall my patients in their loss
    What is the mechanism behind aspartame and sucralose causing your patients (???!!!!????) to stall?

I assume as you have patients you can provide detailed clinical evidence and a resounding rationale for your claim?
    Plant derived eh?

Adenium obesum, Ricinus communis, Solanum pseudocapsicum, Brugmansia genus, Laburnum genus, Atropa belladonna, Ageratina altissima are all plants. You wouldn't want to ingest any of them.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Why is being derived from a plant better? Plenty of poisons are derived from plants. Many safe things are made in labs.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There are no studies that show you gain weight from diet zero calorie drinks.. Correlations does not mean causation. You can't eat 3500 calories a day and drink diet cokes to lose weight.

Bingo! Some people will drink these diet drinks and assume it's okay to have more calories as a snack or meal because the drink had none.

And sometimes artificial sweeteners can stimulate appetite in some people, leading them to eat more.

Calories in-calories out is king!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This ought to keep you busy enough reading for a few weeks.

http://aspartame.mercola.com/sites/aspartame/studies.aspx (here's pages and pages of studies done - and not by mercola - he just listed them out).

Mercola is a confirmed quack. Your 'research' should've gone a tad further.

And I just had a diet rootbeer while on the treadmill. Exercising.

And I hate kale. It tastes of sadness and trendy desperation.

:)

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I'm staying away from artificial sweeteners. Drinking sodas isn't important enough to me to wait for more research. I like a glass of wine, or a shot of scotch, and I stop at one.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/artificial-sweeteners-may-change-our-gut-bacteria-in-dangerous-ways/

A mouse study. Further study on gut bacteria:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26474235

CONCLUSION:
    In both humans and animals there are characteristic changes in the gut microbiota associated with obesity. In animals but not in humans altering the microbiota can result in weight loss and weight gain which does not occur in humans. This suggests that in humans the changes in gut microbiota are an association with rather than the cause of obesity.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    Artificial sugars either good or bad allows one to maintain there sugar addiction without the weight gain- brilliant!

Sugar addiction is not a thing; even if it was, artificial sweeteners would not perpetuate the addiction, as the chemicals are completely different.

Also, their, not there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the FDA stopped reporting toxicity of sweeteners, especially when the reports were increasing. If they didn't stop the reporting, the sweeteners probably would not be on the shelves of the grocery markets today.

As far as I know, this is a Mercola claim. Do you have other evidence for it?

This is worth reading: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Interesting, my own experience has been the opposite-lost 50+ pounds while drinking quite a bit of diet soda and still drinking it, 3 years into maintenance :)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I run a weight loss program at work. In my experience, Aspartame and Sucralose will stall my patients in their loss...

Eh it's probably all those extra calories your "patients" are eating.

Just a guess.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

You're saying artificial sweeteners damage tooth enamel? Or do you mean the acid in diet soda damages tooth enamel?

Research has highlighted that there is a lack of data on the potential actions of foods containing certain sweeteners, yes, sugar and acid in general can be damaging. I just thought it was interesting that I came across an article that was stating that sweeteners are hard on enamel.

• Holly_Wood_888
    edited March 2016
    Options

So, how would they stall weight loss?

There is some evidence that calorie free artificial sweeteners mess up the mechanism our brain uses to decide if we have had enough to eat... I'm not claiming to know the science behind it. I'm simply stating what my experience has been.

Another interesting experience is that I have had to caution people on how many apples they consume as they have also been a culprit of stalling.

In regards to sweeteners, I would much rather use xylitol than Aspartame as Aspartame breaks down into methanol, amino acids and several other chemicals... The methanol is quickly absorbed and converted into formaldehyde.