Craving sugar constantly, fruits not cutting it!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I crave fat and carbs not sweets so much. I go to fffat yogurt and fruit with bread or crackers torn into it. Or strawberry shortcake with cream. Peanut butter on toast or crackers or any type of nut butter in full fat yogurt. You could add any sweetener to those, like a teaspoon of honey or stevia if you needed it sweeter.

honey has sugar in it..so you are saying replace sugar with sugar?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I cut flour and sugar from my diet, I think dates and sweet healthy treats occasionally is a great idea Minmolnk.

I'll also look into detox, thank you both.

wow, cutting flour, sugar, and a detox are totally unnecessary for anything health or fitness related.

You can lose weight and meet your body comp goals all while eating sugar, flour, etc; just make sure that you stay in your calorie target and hit your micro and macro requirements...

Meh, she'll figure it out when she starts binging. Maybe.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to cut any food from your diet.. Just work it into your calories. If you like sugar and sweets you can figure some in. This is why people fail on diets. There is ZERO reason to deprive yourself of everything good. Seriously just figure out your calorie needs get yourself in a deficit and you will lose. Weigh and measure everything you eat. You can actually eat really great stuff and lose weight. Detox stuff is just a waste of money unless you get some enjoyment out of it.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oh snap there is some mean comments in this message board. Anyway OP, its true that eliminating things entirely from your diet doesn't set up well for long-term sucess. Especially if you "crave it" the more here and there you give your body what it "craves" the less intense and less frequent cravings become. Seek balance.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've basically replaced most of the sugar I used to eat with Truvia. They make baking blends now that are pretty good. Not only do I not feel deprived and have continued to lose weight with it, my teeth have thanked me according to the dentist. :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MinmoInk wrote: »
    Oh snap there is some mean comments in this message board. Anyway OP, its true that eliminating things entirely from your diet doesn't set up well for long-term sucess. Especially if you "crave it" the more here and there you give your body what it "craves" the less intense and less frequent cravings become. Seek balance.

who has been mean in this thread???
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers recipe vanilla mug cake with Cool Whip and strawberries. 100 calories if you pile on the CW!

It's not mean to steer someone away from bad nutritional advice. If your body can't detox on its own, you should be in a hospital.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I crave fat and carbs not sweets so much. I go to fffat yogurt and fruit with bread or crackers torn into it. Or strawberry shortcake with cream. Peanut butter on toast or crackers or any type of nut butter in full fat yogurt. You could add any sweetener to those, like a teaspoon of honey or stevia if you needed it sweeter.

I din't think honey is sugar. Sugar is sugar. I also missed that sugar was bad on his thread, I got that the op wanted ideas for sweetish foods without fruit actually. She din't say she was avoiding sugar.

I suggested some stuff, not bad stuff either. :)

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Take a detox that will clean your digestive track and eliminate any "buddies" you don't want helped I don't crave any more.

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Terrible idea. Your body is fully equipped to detox itself. If your body isn't doing the job adequately then get to a doctor immediately.

Eat sugar. Make it fit into your calories and macros. I eat a handful of M&Ms every single day.

This is what I do. Just make room for it. Eating a cookie is different than eating a box of cookies. Everything in moderation...
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My dietitian once told me that I give too much power to food. Her suggestion was, when you're craving sweets, try to think that you are choosing not to have it because it's unhealthy instead of focusing on wanting something that's "forbidden."
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I bought some sugar free popsicles (15cals) and sugar free fudgsicles (40cals)
  • Gamliela
    Options
    yes, nothing is forbidden.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Mixing a serving of peanut or almond butter with 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of honey and using it as a dip for apple slices satisfies my sweet cravings. Also whole grain french toast or oatmeal with 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    yum!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    My dietitian once told me that I give too much power to food. Her suggestion was, when you're craving sweets, try to think that you are choosing not to have it because it's unhealthy instead of focusing on wanting something that's "forbidden."

Or just have the damn sweets in moderation and within your calorie goals and move on with your life.

I am curious how some people seem to know the exact macro/micronutrient their body is craving, this all seems very exact and specific. Could of course just be you just want that nice thing that you know is nice and whether it's made up of sugar, fat or carbs is not really relevant.
  • ndj1979
    Options

i am sorry but your dietitian is dead wrong ...no foods are "forbidden" just make sure you hit your calorie, micro, and macro targets for the day and enjoy what you like...
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a once or twice a day "treat" of coffee and 1/3 of a chocolate covered meal replacement bar and set calories aside for whatever treat I want on Saturday.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Strawberry preserves from market pantry (target) is only 10 calories/ tbsp ... Very delicious on a piece of toast.. not bad caloric wise to satisfy that sweet tooth
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I din't think honey is sugar. Sugar is sugar. I also missed that sugar was bad on his thread, I got that the op wanted ideas for sweetish foods without fruit actually. She din't say she was avoiding sugar.

I suggested some stuff, not bad stuff either. :)

Honey is fructose and glucose. Those are sugars.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I stick with the 80-20 general rule. 80% healthy, 20% treats. Honestly, it seems that for a life long change to be sustainable, it needs to not make you feel bad. I like knowing that if I follow my plan all day, I can eat some ice cream before bed. It hasn't altered my progress. In fact I barely feel like I'm 'on a diet,' because I'm still enjoying my food. I suspect this will help me once I reach maintenance too, because I will already know how to work it in without going all crazy on everything I've been depriving myself of.

As others have said, there is no need to deprive yourself of the things you enjoy. Have a treat.