Craving sugar constantly, fruits not cutting it!

Options

Replies

• rdstrickland7
    rdstrickland7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it truly is an individual choice AND WHEN you began using MFP and tracking. I am a diabetic and naturally I CRAVE sugar. It has recently begun more difficult to have healthy sugar readings (and feel good - energy/fatigue). I started tracking and using MFP almost 2 weeks ago. I quit drinking a diet soda and having either candy or cookies every day. The first 3 days I believe was like withdrawal because I was hungry all the time. I drink lemon in my water now (and drink as much water as I can); eat carbs that are low cal and mostly fruit and veggies. I have a problem with moderation when it comes to sweets. At this point I cannot have 2 Hershey kisses or a handful of M&M's because I end up eating half the bag!

HOWEVER, I am so jazzed because all through week one, each morning my blood sugar readings went down day by day. This second week - they are in the normal range! It has been several years since they were this low. I've lost 5 pounds, but I attribute feeling so good to eating better.

I understand totally that we should not "deprive" ourselves of food we enjoy or this lifestyle change will not be sustainable. For me, though, it is too soon to add treats back. I know I will eventually, but I am still in the learning phase of the types of food best for me, any good substitutes (there's a type of noodle that starts with an "s" I want to try to replace pasta), and portion sizes.

Once I get more comfortable with my knowledge base (it's a real eye opener when you look at the calories in most fast food!), etc. I will add treats and I will celebrate occasions as usual but with a better mindset.

Thanks for taking time to read!

EVCbeth1978, hang in there; it gets better! You can do this!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think it truly is an individual choice AND WHEN you began using MFP and tracking. I am a diabetic and naturally I CRAVE sugar. It has recently begun more difficult to have healthy sugar readings (and feel good - energy/fatigue). I started tracking and using MFP almost 2 weeks ago. I quit drinking a diet soda and having either candy or cookies every day. The first 3 days I believe was like withdrawal because I was hungry all the time. I drink lemon in my water now (and drink as much water as I can); eat carbs that are low cal and mostly fruit and veggies. I have a problem with moderation when it comes to sweets. At this point I cannot have 2 Hershey kisses or a handful of M&M's because I end up eating half the bag!

HOWEVER, I am so jazzed because all through week one, each morning my blood sugar readings went down day by day. This second week - they are in the normal range! It has been several years since they were this low. I've lost 5 pounds, but I attribute feeling so good to eating better.

I understand totally that we should not "deprive" ourselves of food we enjoy or this lifestyle change will not be sustainable. For me, though, it is too soon to add treats back. I know I will eventually, but I am still in the learning phase of the types of food best for me, any good substitutes (there's a type of noodle that starts with an "s" I want to try to replace pasta), and portion sizes.

Once I get more comfortable with my knowledge base (it's a real eye opener when you look at the calories in most fast food!), etc. I will add treats and I will celebrate occasions as usual but with a better mindset.

Thanks for taking time to read!

EVCbeth1978, hang in there; it gets better! You can do this!

You're diabetic. Not the same thing at all.
  • jrskillings
    jrskillings Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    My dietitian once told me that I give too much power to food. Her suggestion was, when you're craving sweets, try to think that you are choosing not to have it because it's unhealthy instead of focusing on wanting something that's "forbidden."

Forbidden? I'm not saying that we don't give too much power to food, but words have power too, don't call any food forbidden. :disappointed: That right there would get me. "Don't push the button!" "I pushed the button".

I think a couple people were confused by the comment. The word "forbidden" is in quotation marks, which is a way of stating that its a dubious term. The way I read it, the nutritionist said if they choose not to eat something, they should tell themselves its THEIR choice and they're making it for a reason (its unhealthy.) She's saying DON'T call it forbidden.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    My dietitian once told me that I give too much power to food. Her suggestion was, when you're craving sweets, try to think that you are choosing not to have it because it's unhealthy instead of focusing on wanting something that's "forbidden."

Forbidden? I'm not saying that we don't give too much power to food, but words have power too, don't call any food forbidden. :disappointed: That right there would get me. "Don't push the button!" "I pushed the button".

I think a couple people were confused by the comment. The word "forbidden" is in quotation marks, which is a way of stating that its a dubious term. The way I read it, the nutritionist said if they choose not to eat something, they should tell themselves its THEIR choice and they're making it for a reason (its unhealthy.) She's saying DON'T call it forbidden.

OK - but sweet are not unhealthy as longs one gets nutrition from other sources....
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    (there's a type of noodle that starts with an "s" I want to try to replace pasta)
    Shirataki? I've heard of those, and the smell and texture as described by the TV chef who was using them would not be worth it to me! :sick:
  • TennesseeJen
    TennesseeJen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free Fudge Pops- 40 calories. Gets the job done!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Why does "detox" creep into virtually every thread on this forum??
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @vingogly THIS is why:
    Womans-World_10.19.15.jpg

and THIS:
    0fa3932367495d14f4f068ebb5b4a4fd.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I suggest getting a pack of M & M's, candy cinnamon hearts, or other small candy, and put them in a pill bottle. Prescribe yourself "one a day". Handle the craving and keep it under control.

Or you could do the same with a sugar free hard candy.

http://www.candywarehouse.com/candy-type/sugar-free-candy/

Oh, and you could label your prescription "placebo".
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The problem with a lot of sugar free desserts is that when you eat them, your body is expecting sugar. When it doesn't get said sugar, it makes you want it even more. Insulin came to party...you can't leave it hangin'! So yeah, just have the real deal, just in small amounts. Keep your chocolate in the freezer so it takes longer to eat so you can savor it. A lot of cinnamon based teas are naturally sweet and are fantastic iced. They're a much better substitute than diet drinks. Don't bring in sweets that you know you can't control yourself around (I'm looking at you, strawberry rhubarb pie). Tell your family to respect that rule as well. If your overwhelmed with thoughts of sugary stuff, distract yourself. Go for a walk or play video games. Usually it will pass.
  • Francl27
    Options
    The problem with a lot of sugar free desserts is that when you eat them, your body is expecting sugar. When it doesn't get said sugar, it makes you want it even more. Insulin came to party...you can't leave it hangin'! So yeah, just have the real deal, just in small amounts. Keep your chocolate in the freezer so it takes longer to eat so you can savor it. A lot of cinnamon based teas are naturally sweet and are fantastic iced. They're a much better substitute than diet drinks. Don't bring in sweets that you know you can't control yourself around (I'm looking at you, strawberry rhubarb pie). Tell your family to respect that rule as well. If your overwhelmed with thoughts of sugary stuff, distract yourself. Go for a walk or play video games. Usually it will pass.

I can't do sugar free stuff, it makes me crave sugar even more than real sugar would... Stevia is ok though. But aspartame and sucralose/splenda? Just ugh.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options

If I took her advice I would be in constant "binge" mode. When I crave sweets, I have a controlled amount of sweets and make it fit into my calorie allowance. That way nothing is forbidden, the food has no power and my craving is satisfied. When I made food "bad" or "good" I binged . . . and binged . . . and binged until my health was borderline and I couldn't see my feet.

OP, if you want it, have it, log it and move on with your life. WTH is the big deal? You are not going to be able to sustain a life without sweets or you wouldn't be posting asking for help.
  • positivepowers
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    (there's a type of noodle that starts with an "s" I want to try to replace pasta)
    Shirataki? I've heard of those, and the smell and texture as described by the TV chef who was using them would not be worth it to me! :sick:

They're like eating worms. I normally love noodles in just about anything (I think the Phillipino people are geniuses for inventing pancit) but these noodles are truly nasty.
  • positivepowers
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @vingogly THIS is why:
    Womans-World_10.19.15.jpg

and THIS:
    0fa3932367495d14f4f068ebb5b4a4fd.jpg

Sounds uselessly expensive.
  • Francl27
    Options

If I took her advice I would be in constant "binge" mode. When I crave sweets, I have a controlled amount of sweets and make it fit into my calorie allowance. That way nothing is forbidden, the food has no power and my craving is satisfied. When I made food "bad" or "good" I binged . . . and binged . . . and binged until my health was borderline and I couldn't see my feet.

OP, if you want it, have it, log it and move on with your life. WTH is the big deal? You are not going to be able to sustain a life without sweets or you wouldn't be posting asking for help.

This...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
  • cobblah
    cobblah Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I bought an OMEGA juicer, only bought organic produce and juiced the crap out of everything. So many recipes online. Ginger greens, carrot ginger, etc. minus 45 pounds and a sugar addiction from hell, I am sold on Juicing! I even eat veggies, beans, brown rice, etc. now. I didn't have to make myself do it either. I naturally started craving it. This was crazy for me. I seriously walked around saying, "who am I?" Fast food was me. I didn't cook. All that I can say is that one drink changed my entire life & I can only hope it stays that way. I feel great.
  • sarahb2125
    sarahb2125 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi EVCbeth,
    I also recently cut flours, wheat products and sugar from my diet. The only grains I eat are oats, steel cut oats and quinoa. After cravings wouldn't subside, I found a clean recipe for cookies on pinterest. They have no added sugar or flour products... Maybe it will help you with your sugar cravings, like it did for me!
    Banana Oat Cookies:
    4 overly ripe bananas
    2 cups organic oats
    1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    Add ins of your choice: 1/3 cup unsweetened dried cranberries, and/or 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    (Some people put in a 1/3 cup white chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips) too but that defeats the purpose of 'no added sugar')
    1. Mash bananas and mix in oats and almond milk. Stir everything together and add in your optional mix ins.
    2. Spoon cookie dough on very well greased cookie sheet.
    3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 min or until cookies look done.
    Hope enjoy!
  • daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Embarrassed to admit but lately I've been eating a squirt of chocolate redi whip when chocolate cravings hit. <1 gram of sugar and carbs 15 calories.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    mrzpeep391 wrote: »
    Embarrassed to admit but lately I've been eating a squirt of chocolate redi whip when chocolate cravings hit. <1 gram of sugar and carbs 15 calories.

Don't be. One of my favorite lower cal desserts is to have about 1/4 c of Hubert Keller's recipe for chocolate whipped cream with berries. It ends up being something like 150 cals.