Craving sugar constantly, fruits not cutting it!

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a treat everyday. It makes me choose - this treat of that treat. I'm fat because I ate too many snacks, and my portions were too big, not because of single ingredients.

Managing portions for ALL kinds of food is going to be necessary for my maintenance. I'm working on those skills now.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I cut flour and sugar from my diet, I think dates and sweet healthy treats occasionally is a great idea Minmolnk.

I'll also look into detox, thank you both.
    @EVCbeth1978 there was not easy and simple way to stop craving sugar laces foods be it cake or apples.

Due to my age and health I left most all sugars and all forms of grains Oct 2014 cold turkey hoping to cut my joint and muscle pain without Rx meds. It knocked down my pain in only 30 days but my carb cravings faded fast after 15 days and still are gone 18 months later.

My body started to detox on its own in my case when I cut my carbs to <50 grams daily. In six months my 40 years of IBS fully resolved and my health/health marks at age 65 are better than at 45.

Best of success in finding the macro that stops your cravings for good then watch your calories. No dieting worked for me until I found the right macro that fixed my cravings.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I crave fat and carbs not sweets so much. I go to fffat yogurt and fruit with bread or crackers torn into it. Or strawberry shortcake with cream. Peanut butter on toast or crackers or any type of nut butter in full fat yogurt. You could add any sweetener to those, like a teaspoon of honey or stevia if you needed it sweeter.

honey has sugar in it..so you are saying replace sugar with sugar?

I din't think honey is sugar. Sugar is sugar. I also missed that sugar was bad on his thread, I got that the op wanted ideas for sweetish foods without fruit actually. She din't say she was avoiding sugar.

I suggested some stuff, not bad stuff either. :)

Others have covered your misunderstanding regarding honey not being sugar. In her second post OP said that she has cut out sugar and flour, so yes, she did say she is avoiding sugar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think that the point we're trying to make is that yeah, you can cut cravings if you avoid sugars and refined flours, but I'd say that it's clearly not working for OP if she's so miserable from craving sugar.

And man, I can't imagine that being sustainable for most people anyway (it certainly isn't for me).
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I cut flour and sugar from my diet, I think dates and sweet healthy treats occasionally is a great idea Minmolnk.

I'll also look into detox, thank you both.
    @EVCbeth1978 there was not easy and simple way to stop craving sugar laces foods be it cake or apples.

Due to my age and health I left most all sugars and all forms of grains Oct 2014 cold turkey hoping to cut my joint and muscle pain without Rx meds. It knocked down my pain in only 30 days but my carb cravings faded fast after 15 days and still are gone 18 months later.

My body started to detox on its own in my case when I cut my carbs to <50 grams daily. In six months my 40 years of IBS fully resolved and my health/health marks at age 65 are better than at 45.

Best of success in finding the macro that stops your cravings for good then watch your calories. No dieting worked for me until I found the right macro that fixed my cravings.

Op - please reconsider the detox and in light of the fact that mention NO medical conditions that would warrant you eliminate sugar from your diet the above life story and idea that one needs specific macro changes to "detox" yourself from fruit is in my opinion excessive and unnecessary.

I will assume that with no confounding medical conditions mentioned the removal of certain foods from your diet was a personal choice and I'm wondering if you have asked yourself the question as to whether this is a long term viable strategy for you.

There seems to be a very strong trend now where "treats" particularly baked 'carby' treats that are just as laden with other higher calorie macros as they are with the 'dreaded' sugar are avoided like the plague. Weight loss is something that shouldn't be made any more difficult than it is. Keeping up with logging, any exercise you do, maybe having to eat different foods due to CI restrictions can be hard enough, there really isn't any sense in making yourself feel deprived and despondent due to taking out said treats that give you a bit of mental joy and pleasure. Sure it's quite probable you will have to limit these but to eliminate all together and forever is a very different road - one that you need to ask yourself whether you want to travel for the rest of your life.

I speak to you as someone who due to my medical conditions has HAD eliminate many of these things, if I had any other choice I would not do so as I know from past experience when I did follow the path you are on due to thinking that dieting had to be very sacrificial I ended up REALLY falling off the wagon and then feeling like I had failed some test of inner strength.

I follow a moderate diet that allows all of the macros (taking into account my health conditions) apart from said medical conditions my general health markers too are great now. Blood sugar, triglycerides, blood pressure etc have all improved and have stayed that way since I lost weight, I am now 53 and I am going off the results I had when I was 35. I have gone from a high of 278 lbs in my late 40's and have been maintaining a 168 lb loss for at least 3 years.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I crave fat and carbs not sweets so much. I go to fffat yogurt and fruit with bread or crackers torn into it. Or strawberry shortcake with cream. Peanut butter on toast or crackers or any type of nut butter in full fat yogurt. You could add any sweetener to those, like a teaspoon of honey or stevia if you needed it sweeter.

I din't think honey is sugar. Sugar is sugar. I also missed that sugar was bad on his thread, I got that the op wanted ideas for sweetish foods without fruit actually. She din't say she was avoiding sugar.

Honey is fructose and glucose. Those are sugars.

So is fruit if you want to go like that. Point is op wasn't asking for sugarless sweets. I got called out for suggesting the possobility of honey. I didn't imply it wasn't a sugar. But still, honey IS honey and sugar IS sugar, and fruit IS fruit! :)

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Others have covered your misunderstanding regarding honey not being sugar. In her second post OP said that she has cut out sugar and flour, so yes, she did say she is avoiding sugar.

Ok, right, I missed that, :o Coming back and forth to this thread, I lacked a full read of all the posts.

So if she is restricting flour and sugar then none of my suggestions would be good stuff in the op's case. c'est la vie here on mfp. Aplogies for my lazi reading.

• EVCbeth1978
    EVCbeth1978 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all your comments and suggestions. I cut flour and sugar because this is how I lost weight in the past, I should clarify - refined sugar. I have a banana and 2 cuties everyday, just not hitting the spot. I am 9 years sober from alcohol, switched my focus onto sweets! My husband never gains weight because he has an active job, I myself have an office job sitting/standing 45-50 hours a week. Once I started walking and working out I started feeling better but unable to lose weight which is why o thought dropping flour and sugar was a good idea. Since reading all of this I'm going to not worry as much if I need a spoon of honey but instead focus on my 1200 calories. Any suggestions on the best way to weigh/portion food? Thanks again for your feedback!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you took it all in! As for your calorie goal, using a food scale is more accurate than measuring cups. There are some great threads at the top of the getting started and general diet forums. They are stickied at the top titled "most helpful posts." They are well worth the read. Great work on your sobriety! That deserves some recognition.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all your comments and suggestions. I cut flour and sugar because this is how I lost weight in the past, I should clarify - refined sugar. I have a banana and 2 cuties everyday, just not hitting the spot. I am 9 years sober from alcohol, switched my focus onto sweets! My husband never gains weight because he has an active job, I myself have an office job sitting/standing 45-50 hours a week. Once I started walking and working out I started feeling better but unable to lose weight which is why o thought dropping flour and sugar was a good idea. Since reading all of this I'm going to not worry as much if I need a spoon of honey but instead focus on my 1200 calories. Any suggestions on the best way to weigh/portion food? Thanks again for your feedback!

get a food scale and weigh all solid foods and make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

'that's how I lost weight in the past'... so, how did that work out for you long term? Are you planning to never eat those again?

• Userliss85
    Userliss85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes not long ago, I still struggle, sweets are my weakness, back when I was still dieting with the gd my dietitian suggested a piece of celery dip it in peanut butter, doesn't sound great lol but it works. I also think sleep is a bit factor, I am usually so tired that my body craves the sugar boost but then I crash and on we go... So try and have a decent sleep. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

'that's how I lost weight in the past'... so, how did that work out for you long term? Are you planning to never eat those again?

Exactly! You did it once, fell off the wagon, and are gonna do it again? What's that saying about the definition of insanity?

OP, maybe it's time to find a diet plan that you can adhere to long term? You gotta remember, no diet is worth a hoot if you can't adhere to your calorie goals for life...
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Naplady7 wrote: »
    Take a detox that will clean your digestive track and eliminate any "buddies" you don't want helped I don't crave any more.

Stop eating bread white and brown sugar honey peas corn white flour wheat flour rice and grains like oatmeal. The more you stay away from sugar and high carbohydrate Foods including most fruits except for occasional raspberries blueberries or a few strawberries the less you will crave sugar and eventually you don't crave it all.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    rerez2015 wrote: »
    Take a detox that will clean your digestive track and eliminate any "buddies" you don't want helped I don't crave any more.

Stop eating bread white and brown sugar honey peas corn white flour wheat flour rice and grains like oatmeal. The more you stay away from sugar and high carbohydrate Foods including most fruits except for occasional raspberries blueberries or a few strawberries the less you will crave sugar and eventually you don't crave it all.

So what does this leave that one can actually eat...?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so basically eat nothing but protein and fats???

why is fruit now bad???
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Do you have a digital scale? If not, get one. Mine is a Kamenstein that will read in ozs. or grams with w/ 0 and Tare features. Will go up to 11 lbs, I think. Great for when you want to add ingredients by weight. But I even use it to correctly note the correct size apple into diary. (A small apple is supposed to be 4 oz - really little!)

And if you decide you want 1 oz of chocolate, then you can be sure that you're just serving yourself 1 oz! Build that into your daily calorie count and you're good to go! Sweet tooth and all!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Dumbest ideal yet.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    My dietitian once told me that I give too much power to food. Her suggestion was, when you're craving sweets, try to think that you are choosing not to have it because it's unhealthy instead of focusing on wanting something that's "forbidden."

Forbidden? I'm not saying that we don't give too much power to food, but words have power too, don't call any food forbidden. :disappointed: That right there would get me. "Don't push the button!" "I pushed the button".
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Either add in one sweet a day - I know two Dove chocolates are 80 calories, so I can factor them into my daily calories, or build sweet healthy snacks into your meals. I love Oikos Triple Zero Vanilla yogurt with frozen berries or strawberries, steel cut oats with berries and brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon (or Stevia instead of the sugar). Fage zero plain Greek Yogurt with Stevia, milk, and strawberries in a blender for a breakfast smoothie, lemonade made with fresh lemon juice, Stevia and water, Kind bars (Almond apricot is my favorite), the 100 calorie peanut butter granola bars taste like candy to me, blend a "shake" of unsweetened cashew milk, bakers cocoa powder, and 4 packets of Stevia with some ice (45calories). Buy a package of ginger bread mix and add one egg and a can of pureed pumpkin for pumpkin gingerbread for breakfast with a T spritz of whipped cream on top. So many options for a healthy sweet tooth. LOL