Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    This is what I ordered. It's a 'hidden ' menu item that they no longer advertise but they still will make it if you ask :smile: And then I had two of their breadsticks with it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/fazolis-chicken-mushroom-alfredo-bake-400-calories-or-less-220397326

thank you for sharing. I think though that they are a bit on the low on their calories because 9 oz amount to 255 grams and also another version of the same (without broccoli) dish they say 11 oz which is 311 grams still 400 calories... Maybe they use little pasta and lots of chicken and broccoli and no oil.... If they use 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil only that alone is 120 calorie. I'm just trying to get my mind around it...but I am going to give up and eat without obsessing too much,otherwise this app i will become a nightmare! Thank you ! looking forward to the next few months without too much obsession!

I actually did a guesstimate for that nutrition label. It was ~45g raw ziti pasta, ~80g boneless skinless chicken breasts and ~one tablespoon oil/butter/oily sauce, with the rest being allowance for mushrooms and other low calorie intems in the meal
  • clblive
    clblive Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just try to stay under 80g of carbs daily with one cheat day a week. Bread really makes it hard to do that. So I just eat it on my cheat day.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    This is what I ordered. It's a 'hidden ' menu item that they no longer advertise but they still will make it if you ask :smile: And then I had two of their breadsticks with it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/fazolis-chicken-mushroom-alfredo-bake-400-calories-or-less-220397326

thank you for sharing. I think though that they are a bit on the low on their calories because 9 oz amount to 255 grams and also another version of the same (without broccoli) dish they say 11 oz which is 311 grams still 400 calories... Maybe they use little pasta and lots of chicken and broccoli and no oil.... If they use 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil only that alone is 120 calorie. I'm just trying to get my mind around it...but I am going to give up and eat without obsessing too much,otherwise this app i will become a nightmare! Thank you ! looking forward to the next few months without too much obsession! [/quote]

I don't think there's any olive oil in it? It's the pasta, alfredo sauce, diced chicken, mushrooms, broccoli and then mozzarella cheese on top. It's not a large quantity, about the same size as their kid's pasta dishes. But with 2 breadsticks (300 calories) and a diet coke I leave pleasantly full and can make it fit into my calories fairly easy.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I can have bread occasionally, but if I think of it as something I eat every day, it's too easy to have a sandwich instead of having my vegetables, and anyway, I've grown fond of vegetables, and now have them instead of bread. Bread doesn't taste as good as it used to.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have Helga's low carb bread, but they are tiny pieces, much smaller than regular bread! I bet they would have the same amount of carbs as 'normal' bread if they were on par size wise lol
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I sometimes have Helga's low carb bread, but they are tiny pieces, much smaller than regular bread! I bet they would have the same amount of carbs as 'normal' bread if they were on par size wise lol

200 cals for two slices? The kroger white bread I mentioned earlier is 60 calories per slice, which for two slices was just 50 calories more (total) than the 35 calorie per slice bread that kept going bad on me
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

200 cals for two slices? The kroger white bread I mentioned earlier is 60 calories per slice, which for two slices was just 50 calories more (total) than the 35 calorie per slice bread that kept going bad on me

Yep, 200 cals for 2 slices and 19g Carbs. I have nothing to compare it too, other than the one brand I used to eat which is 200 calories PER slice, and 29g carbs, pppfffft 10g carb difference, big deal!

I'm going to do some Label comparing when I go to the store next. 60 calories per slice sounds perfect, is that plain white bread or a seeds and grains bread?
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Bread and rice and pasta leave me hungry either right away or within an hour of eating them so I avoid them
  • taniabeth78
    taniabeth78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat all of the above. Just think of the quality of the carbs you are eating. Potatoes are great! Very healthy! Switch to whole wheat pastas and breads. Just dont eat refined carbs that will leave you starving an hour later :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Yep, 200 cals for 2 slices and 19g Carbs. I have nothing to compare it too, other than the one brand I used to eat which is 200 calories PER slice, and 29g carbs, pppfffft 10g carb difference, big deal!

I'm going to do some Label comparing when I go to the store next. 60 calories per slice sounds perfect, is that plain white bread or a seeds and grains bread?

Plain white! Nothing fancy about it at all. Label comparison sounds like a great idea. Other than switching back to "normal" bread that wouldn't go bad, and saying, "wait, is this bread really less than a dollar???", I never put much thought at all into picking that one
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I did low carb once upon a time and I didn't eat bread or anything starchy. That was down right miserable. These days I wouldn't say I'm intentionally avoiding bread, but some days it just doesn't fit into my calories. I do like the option of being able to eat bread if I desire. I try and keep my sodium levels down and unfortunately some days a sandwich just doesn't fit that criteria.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I can manage very well without bread (do not care for it one way or another most of the time) and hubby is ordered low carb by his doctor, but we shared a
    reasonable sized cheese pizza two nights ago. :mrgreen:
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I would rather have oats, veggies or fruits as the carbs I do take in. Bread seems unecessary to me. I mean some of the high fiber ones are good but otherwise just feels like empty calories and some contain relatively high sodium counts too.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I would recommend perhaps checking out Flat out wraps, extreme wellness high fiber 50 cal wraps, or Josephs lavash wraps.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    77 down ... Still eat bread, pasta and potatoes ... But I'm much choosier now. It's going to be really nice bread and less of it. A very tasty pasta dish .. But roughly half the amount of what I used to eat.. It works for me.
  • jorae08
    jorae08 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I looovvveee bread. I started buying weight watchers bread since it is 1/2 the cals than the usual bread i buy. I don't feel deprived, and its still nothing crazy for calories. and as for pasta/rice, i still eat it, just in a smaller serving than i used to. mama needs her carbs :)
  • jorae08
    jorae08 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hjaye7512 wrote: »
    I would say and it's just from my experience alone only that it's always easier to drop the weight without carbs etc( Atkins and whole 30 lost 80lbs) but maintaining was the hard part..
    I gained it all back when I added carbs back in, and started binging when I tried to do low carb again so I started WW and lost 17lbs in 2 months and now this because I wanted to start counting my fruits and veggies etc..

When i did low carb (ideal protein) I had quick success as well, i think i lost like 30 lbs in 4 months and as soon as i added carbs back it's like i made up for lost time and gained weight back. I find the principle of 'lose weight the way you want to maintain it' to work much better for me. A slower loss, but more maintainable for me.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, we've all heard it. Bread is the worst when it comes to weight loss. Along side potatoes, rice, and noodles. Thoughts?

No
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

This is probably an "every body is different" situation. When I eat a high protein meal I'm hungry an hour or two later. If I eat the same calories in mostly pasta/carbs I am satiated until the next meal.

This is how I am with eggs. I eat them in the mornings and only eat eggwhites 2-3 in a meal along with other things. I never stay full for long. This morning I had eggwhites on a taco flour tortilla with salsa and was still hungry less than 2 hours later. :( Same way with whole eggs. I used to eat whole eggs for years and would be hungry again very quickly if I didn't load up on sausage or bacon and toast or grits.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My wife is allergic to wheat so that has limited my intake of bread and pasta, but I still allow a couple of slices of wheat bread or a bun for a chicken breast sandwich. I did have to give up on french fries, potato chips and baked potatoes. It isn't the steak that does the damage its the heavy starch carbs that do it. I do eat a lot more grilled veggies now too.