Has anyone met there goal weight eating 1200 calories??

Options

Replies

• allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am on 1300 but usually eat less. I don't eat back calories from exercise though I only tend to do walking. I am losing weight and feel a lot healthier for it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I am on 1300 but usually eat less. I don't eat back calories from exercise though I only tend to do walking. I am losing weight and feel a lot healthier for it.
    walking burns the same calories that spending time on the elliptical does. there aren't "walking calories" to burn versus "jogging calories"... just calories.
  • qhaleesi
    qhaleesi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have 4 pounds to go, lost 20 pounds purely because of 1200 calories + very light exercise, so yeah, it's possible
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    walking burns the same calories that spending time on the elliptical does. there aren't "walking calories" to burn versus "jogging calories"... just calories.

I didn't say there was, I was merely saying I don't do a lot of exercise. What assumption do think I was making?
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is a reasonable goal for a very petite woman who isn't very active, but for anyone else it's not going to be enough.

As long as 1200 calories is below your TDEE, you won't gain weight (it's not possible), but that doesn't mean it's healthy. I imagine that progress would be slow and painful and if you do reach your goal adjusting to life in maintenance would probably be a nightmare.
  • trogalicious
    Options

I didn't say there was, I was merely saying I don't do a lot of exercise. What assumption do think I was making?
    I'm not sure why you were disqualifying walking as not worthy of eating back the exercise calories. If you're walking, you're exercising.. and can get by with eating a portion of those back. That's how MFP is designed to work.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a big difference between NET 1200 and GROSS 1200?? I NET 1200 and have been consistently losing, but I usually am EATING 1500-1600 calories depending on my workout. I don't think enough people clarify the difference on here.
  • sdeepe
    sdeepe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs last year doing a 1200 calorie diet. I am 5 ft 7 and I went from 150 to 120. I exercised 4 times a week on an elliptical and walked 3 miles daily. I tried to be more active overall during the day. It took about 4 to 5 months to lose it, but I did lose it !
  • thehollows1
    Options
    Personally, I never counted calories because that has always made me MISERABLE, counting how much I should and shouldn't eat.

I used to weigh 178.5 pounds. I started exercising 6 times a week, drinking 3 litres of water, and eating healthy and lost about 49 pounds in 5-6 months.

I gained about 8 pounds (over a course of 5 months) by not keeping a strict diet and eating whatever I want and without exercising and my body is maintaining the weight.

I do, however, want to weigh about 114.5 pounds (5'7/20 years old). I want to go back to eating more healthy as I did then, but I still cannot get myself to count calories. But kudos to anyone who can do this!
  • sa11yn
    sa11yn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your not alone katieredmond5, I've been on MFP since june, I am allowed 1200 calories a day, weight loss was very good at the beginning losing anything from 1.5lbs to 3lbs each week. With exercise taken off it usually left my net intake around 500-600 remaining. Earlier this month someone informed me that I was doing it wrong - they stated that my net should be about 1200 after my exercise is deducted. I had lost 18lbs in total at this point but Since then I have been very lucky if I lost 0.5lb each week but last few weigh ins I actually started to gain the weight again.

CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW IF NET SHOULD BE 1200 BEFORE OR AFTER EXERCISE DEDUCTIONS
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Your not alone katieredmond5, I've been on MFP since june, I am allowed 1200 calories a day, weight loss was very good at the beginning losing anything from 1.5lbs to 3lbs each week. With exercise taken off it usually left my net intake around 500-600 remaining. Earlier this month someone informed me that I was doing it wrong - they stated that my net should be about 1200 after my exercise is deducted. I had lost 18lbs in total at this point but Since then I have been very lucky if I lost 0.5lb each week but last few weigh ins I actually started to gain the weight again.

CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW IF NET SHOULD BE 1200 BEFORE OR AFTER EXERCISE DEDUCTIONS
    Eat your exercise calories back.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

MFP does not include exercise in its calculation for your calories. This is so you would lose weight if you were not doing any exercising. When you do exercise, you need more calories for fuel. This is why it adds more calories in to your goal when you log your exercise. You still have the same amount of calorie deficit to lose weight.

Example:

1200 (the amount MFP gives you to eat)
    -500 (the amount you exercised)
    +500 (the amount more you ate for the exercise)
    =1200 (NET calories)

Example:
    1200 (the amount MFP gives you to eat)
    -0 (you didn't do any exercise)
    +0 (you don't eat more when you don't exercise)
    =1200 (NET calories)
  • carlitennant
    Options
    Hi There ...

I'm on 1200 calories a day and taking of 50 calories a week until im down to 1000 and exercising 3 times a week , i aim to lose 4 stone? Any suggestions?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Hi There ...

I'm on 1200 calories a day and taking of 50 calories a week until im down to 1000 and exercising 3 times a week , i aim to lose 4 stone? Any suggestions?
    yeah, don't do that.
    don't cut down any from 1200.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a big difference between NET 1200 and GROSS 1200?? I NET 1200 and have been consistently losing, but I usually am EATING 1500-1600 calories depending on my workout. I don't think enough people clarify the difference on here.

Yep, and that's usually where everything goes crooked.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18lb on 1200 but have been eating maintenance for the past 2 months. It definitely works, but you really have to watch your food and condiments - every little bit adds up!
  • UK34
    UK34 Posts: 23
    Options
    I ate 1200 and used about 150 through exercise. So that would mean the nett is 1050 I guess?
    I lost all my weight at 2 Ibs a week this way.
    So I agree specifying the Nett or Gross is important.

I also allowed myself a treat day once a week, and yes I made the most of it :)
  • Laurensanders30
    Options
    Bump
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    A post from July 2014 and your bumping it. I think the OP has moved on.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    im down from 250 to 202 right now eating 1200 calories (since february), my bf % went from 24% to 15% so far, with lifting and doing cardio

You are claiming to have lost 48 lbs in 6 weeks, or 8 lbs per week, which is not realistic or healthy.

Consider that you started at 190 lbs of lean mass. You now have 171.7 lbs of it. You've lost 18.3 lbs of muscle. Your "fat" loss is actually over 38% muscle loss.

Good luck with that.