Results from calorie counting??

Options
Has anyone seen substantial results from calorie counting? I've lost some weight by just really cutting down on what I eat, no specific foods, just amounts. But can I lose weight faster by having the proper amount of proteins, carbs and fats?? It may seem like a broad question. Would appreciate feedback.

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There is an entire section of the forum called "success stories" that are full of people who have tremendous results from calorie counting. Give it a look! I personally lost over 100 lbs and have kept it off for many years at this point. My success story is here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1276219/i-went-from-morbidly-obese-to-6-pack-abs-ask-me-anything

Total calories will be the driving force for the speed of weight loss but there are other advantages to having your protein, carbs, and fats optimized for your goal. Eating adequate protein helps minimize the loss of lean tissue while you lose weight. This is important as it helps ensure that a larger percentage of the weight you lose is coming from fat. Additionally, making sure you get in enough fat is important for testosterone production as well as other hormones.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/success-stories

Whole section of the forum specifically for success stories. Most say what method of diet they used as well as what workouts.

Calorie counting is exactly what you said though cutting down what you eat. IIFYM is a more Macro based method but still uses calories in vs calories out.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You're not going to lose a significant amount of weight by balancing your macronutrients. In general, ketogenic (very low carb) diets result in faster short term weight loss, but in my own personal opinion they're not as sustainable for the average person. I also love carbs :)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Everyone on MFP has. That's what the site\app is for. Go read some of the pots on the forum with success stories. Also I dont understand why people keep asking. Can you not think it through yourself? Food has energy. You eat it. You burn some through metabolism and movement. If you eat less than you burn - you will burn fat. Why would you even consider that eating less (energy) than you spend won't make you lose? Where would you take the energy from to spend if not fat?

Each kilogram you want to lose has about 7000 calories. Food (all of it, regardless if it is fat, carb or protein) has some calorties. Add them up, check your TDEE and subtract them from it. You can do the rest of the math yourself to figure how much you need to eat to lose X amount of kilograms.
  • chuck20
    chuck20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Everyone on MFP has. That's what the site\app is for. Go read some of the pots on the forum with success stories. Also I dont understand why people keep asking. Can you not think it through yourself? Food has energy. You eat it. You burn some through metabolism and movement. If you eat less than you burn - you will burn fat. Why would you even consider that eating less (energy) than you spend won't make you lose? Where would you take the energy from to spend if not fat?

Each kilogram you want to lose has about 7000 calories. Food (all of it, regardless if it is fat, carb or protein) has some calorties. Add them up, check your TDEE and subtract them from it. You can do the rest of the math yourself to figure how much you need to eat to lose X amount of kilograms.

Unfortunately, some people prefer consulting with others for the sake of a fresh/different perspective and gaining knowledge. As I shave learned from your post. You should try it. But thank you for your input!
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 90lbs over 3years using only this website. Check my profile picture.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Done correctly, any method based on taking in fewer calories than you burn, will work. Most of us here on MFP are, or have been, counting calories, or rather, letting the food diary do it for us; lots have had great success. I've lost 50 pounds and kept them off for 17 months now, eating normal foods in appropriate amounts, just being a bit more aware on nutrition, getting enough protein, fat, vegetables, and eat a wide variety of foods I like.

But do not try to lose faster than your body can handle. Up to 1% of your body weight pr week is usually safe; more than that and you will start breaking down muscle mass, and generally feel like poo.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    50 ish pounds lost here, celebrating my 3 year maintenance anniversary this month. Throughout all of it I've only focused on calories :)
  • chuck20
    chuck20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great job guys! And thank you all for your advice.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    chuck20 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen substantial results from calorie counting?

Only 55 lbs or about 30% of my starting weight. Is that substantial enough?

• Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    77 lost with calorie counting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I lost 80!
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    31 pounds and 15% body weight. 160 days. Just over 1/2 way to goal.

Today I ate a cheese sandwich with mayo on white bread.

Best "diet" ever.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    60lbs LTD lost...50 atm.

I have been here for 3 years and as long as I log accurately and consistently (using a food scale and proper entries) I am good.

My thing is that is doesn't just help me lose it helps me maintain and for all of us that has to be the end game right?
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    95 pounds...stopped counting, life changed gained 30. Started counting again and lost 10 - 20 more to go
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is the only thing that worked for me. Lost around 50 pounds several years ago. Back now, because I let a little weight creep back on. To answer your macro question, I find that I naturally end up around 20% protein, 40% fat, and 40% carbs. I like my fats! Works well for me, but it is just what I naturally eat.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Counting calories gave me the information I needed to change the way I eat. I not only reduced my portions but also paid attention to nutritional content. I started removing calorie dense junk foods in favor of fresh veggies & lean meats and fish. When I combined that with exercise it was a home run, 50 pounds lost. I don't log or count anymore but feel that I have trained myself how to eat. Now if I could just train myself to stop drinking wine and beer.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    OP, don't listen to anyone of these people. The truth is below:
    http://www.theonion.com/article/new-study-finds-it-is-impossible-to-lose-weight-no-32770
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Ah heck, I'll admit the truth and raise the average number in this thread.
    I've lost 120 pounds. I've also gained some muscles so I've lost more fat pounds than that, but that comes from strength training, not strictly calorie counting.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting and, especially, logging them here works. When I log, I lose, but also find that logging causes me to think about food more...in a bad way. When I take a break from it and try to just rely on what I thought was a well formed habit, the weight creeps back on.

Note to self: Use the food diary to count calories. Just do it.