Why would you not weight lift while losing weight?

Options

Replies

• alvinlau316
    alvinlau316 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. I will never understand why people automatically default to lots of cardio when losing weight. Let's just say marathon runners are not the epitome of a great physique.

Resistance training allows you to build and retain lean mass. Unless you're on drugs you won't be bulky. If you're bulky it means you're not losing fat, or getting fatter.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Personally, it is because I just plain do not have the time to lift weights. I don't have 2 hour blocks of time, 3 non-consecutive days each week. My schedule is way too tight with work and class. I intend to lift after I graduate with my current degree program, but I also hope to reach my goal weight by then.

It doesn't take hours a day, but yes non-consecutive days are important. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and usually about 40-45 minutes M/W/F.
  • quiarga
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I agree with jemh, but in answer to the thread's question - sometimes people feel too fat and clumsy and self conscious to lift weight. Many, having endured scathing comments about their weight, don't want to go to a weight room with all those mirrors and lifters, and don't have the ability to lift at home, or don't feel secure enough about using body weight exercises, or don't have a clue about how to get started. It's easy for some to own their own space and "just do it," and incredibly difficult for others.

Just sounds like a lot of excuses. If you want to do it, you'll make the effort. Same with weight-loss. You have to want it more than you want to be fat. (I'm not saying you as in you personally...just in general. I give myself the same advice). Everybody has to start somewhere, whether its their weight-loss journey, cardio, or lifting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    quiarga wrote: »
    Personally, it is because I just plain do not have the time to lift weights. I don't have 2 hour blocks of time, 3 non-consecutive days each week. My schedule is way too tight with work and class. I intend to lift after I graduate with my current degree program, but I also hope to reach my goal weight by then.

It doesn't take hours a day, but yes non-consecutive days are important. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and usually about 40-45 minutes M/W/F.

Depends on the program...I do Wendler 5/3/1 M/T/W/Th...OHP, DL, BP, SQ...but no two major muscle groups are worked 2 days in a row unless I am pressed for time and do squats with BP.

5x5 does take about 45min near the end for me it was 90mins which was way tooooo long...switched to 3x5 and then wendler which is amazing for time.
  • quiarga
    Options
    A few months ago I started Stronglifts 5x5. I think it's the single best thing I've done for myself this year. My only regret is not starting sooner. I will always recommend lifting over cardio now. Cardio won't build or tone muscle, and only gives you more calories to consume each day. Lifting will change your body! And that doesn't mean bulking.
  • Scandinavianblonde
    Scandinavianblonde Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner.. When I'm in my best shape I'm much smaller and much lower bf than all the weight lifters I know.. It doesn't make sense for my training or my body type ( rail) to be lifting weights heavily that often.. I do mostly circuit exercises which use the same muscle groups as certain weight machines. I prefer looking the way I do rather than bulking up ! And yes all the body builders I know are " built" and it definitely looks much different than my body
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I agree with jemh, but in answer to the thread's question - sometimes people feel too fat and clumsy and self conscious to lift weight. Many, having endured scathing comments about their weight, don't want to go to a weight room with all those mirrors and lifters, and don't have the ability to lift at home, or don't feel secure enough about using body weight exercises, or don't have a clue about how to get started. It's easy for some to own their own space and "just do it," and incredibly difficult for others.

This is me. I'm doing cardio right now. I'm too much of a chicken to venture into the weight area. Everyone looks like they know what they are doing. I think I'm going to break into the machine circuit and go from there.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Lift heavy. Strength training - I think the problem is what this terminology conjures up in the mind of some people which can put them off. The "scary" part of the gym. Complex barbell moves. Lengthy sessions. Possible injury. Social judgment.

In reality, 2- 3 sessions of resistance training a week using whatever form of resistance you prefer (barbells, body weight, kettlebells, young children), lasting about 20-30 minutes each depending on exercise selection in the venue you prefer (the gym, your front room, the garden, the park, the bus stop) which pushes your capabilities progressively would be more than sufficient for the average person to get major benefits...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Some mention here that some are intimidated by the free weight section. But when people lift while losing they are so much healthier, and LOOK healthier and more vibrant when they lift. It's especially empowering for women in all aspects of their lives once they give it a go. Nothing wrong with a little cardio. If you focus on protein and veggies, and just enough carbs and fat and the calorie deficit takes care of fat loss. The lifting is building the lean body mass and it's a beautiful thing for everyone, not bulky for women (that is always the fat that causes that, especially fat + muscle).

Resistance training is what wards off osteoporosis for men and woman. Don't skip it! The time is now!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Lift weights. Lift heavy. Strength training - I think the problem is what this terminology conjures up in the mind of some people which can put them off. The "scary" part of the gym. Complex barbell moves. Lengthy sessions. Possible injury. Social judgment.

In reality, 2- 3 sessions of resistance training a week using whatever form of resistance you prefer (barbells, body weight, kettlebells, young children), lasting about 20-30 minutes each depending on exercise selection in the venue you prefer (the gym, your front room, the garden, the park, the bus stop) which pushes your capabilities progressively would be more than sufficient for the average person to get major benefits...

Agreed. Resistance exercise can be any and all of the above. I started out with a very simple bodyweight routine. It's what fit my resources and ability at the time. I later moved on to a longer bodyweight routine and eventually lifting weights. Not everybody has to lift weights though.

And if you do want to lift weights, don't get scared by the phrase "lift heavy." Heavy is relative to your ability. When you first start you're going to lift what is heavy for you. That might be a 10 pound dumbbell and that is perfectly okay. The goal is progressive resistance, which means that you might lift that 10 pound dumbbell 8 times today and two days from now you'll lift it 10 times or 12 times. Then you can graduate to the 12.5 pound dumbbell. The progression is the short term goal.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    RWClary wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »

45 mins 3x a week. Everyone has time for that.

Nope, because I also must drive 1 hr. round trip to get to the gym and back. I live in a rural area. If you knew my schedule, you might understand. I'm not going to argue with you, just adding my reason.

ETA: I work FT (and it is a busy time of year right now), I'm a FT grad student, and I am politically active (I am a party official). I intend to start lifting after graduating (Oct.) and after the election (Nov.).

When fitness becomes a priority, suddenly we have time.
    The last guy I knew personally who did not have time watched 3 hours of TV every night while he played games on the computer. If something becomes important, you make the time.
    It takes 90 seconds to knock out a set of push ups once every day...and an additional 2 minutes to perform sit ups.
    5 minutes of jumping jacks and 2 more minutes of curling a chair in your office.
    I've done all these things when my time was limited. Why?
    Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg

Sure, but that isn't what we are talking about. The question was lifting weights, and I don't have time to do that, partly because of where said weights are located. I didn't say I don't have 5 min. to do push-ups, but push-ups are not weights.

but it is another form of resistance training...body weight training can be very effective "weight training" routine...that is all my son does is body weight and he is very very strong....has gone from 1 chin up to 7 in a matter of months.

So you are saying I have time to go to the gym and lift weights 3 times weekly? If yes, then where exactly in my schedule do you see 2 hour blocks on 3 non-consecutive days? If not, then my original point remains.

I am saying if it's a priority you make the time.

I don't lift at a gym...I lift at home. I made it a priority and set aside the space and funds to get setup (and it is a cheap setup) but effective.

and why is it 2 hours? I lift for max 15mins a day 4x a week....I can bench my body weight, dead lift 235lbs and squat 210...OHP 100lbs...as a woman those are good numbers...no one has ever said you have to spend hours in the gym to reap the benefits of resistance training...

Or the alternative

Body weight resistance in your home which can take as much time as you want...as mentioned my son does that in his apartment...massive strength gains going on.

but hey if you don't want to block out 15 or 20 mins a day to get stronger don't...your loss.
    quiarga wrote: »

As explained earlier, it takes 2 hours because it takes 1 hr. to drive (round trip) to the gym and 1 hr. to lift. Honestly, it takes more than 1 hr. to lift normally, when I actually do. But that also includes some time on the treadmill to get my heart rate elevated first. I don't have space in my small duplex for that, nor can I justify the cost for something that I can't fit anyway, when I have a gym membership.

Also, since I can tell you didn't read my original post that you are arguing with, I DO intend to lift when I actually have time (after Nov.). Right now, I just plain don't have time and I'm frankly getting annoyed at those of you who want to argue about that as though you understand my circumstances better than I do.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »

Agreed. Resistance exercise can be any and all of the above. I started out with a very simple bodyweight routine. It's what fit my resources and ability at the time. I later moved on to a longer bodyweight routine and eventually lifting weights. Not everybody has to lift weights though.

And if you do want to lift weights, don't get scared by the phrase "lift heavy." Heavy is relative to your ability. When you first start you're going to lift what is heavy for you. That might be a 10 pound dumbbell and that is perfectly okay. The goal is progressive resistance, which means that you might lift that 10 pound dumbbell 8 times today and two days from now you'll lift it 10 times or 12 times. Then you can graduate to the 12.5 pound dumbbell. The progression is the short term goal.

Exactly.

I think one of the main issues is irrational fear due to lack of clear information compounded by a fitness "industry" which is becoming just as stupid as the diet industry. "Go hard or go home"? If you like but you don't have to...

Can you sit down in a chair and stand up without using the handles? Then you've done a squat. A person probably does many moves quite naturally during the day which are found in common resistance training routines but put a weight in their hands and it suddenly becomes scary due to unconscious associations.

• kaneporterhome
    kaneporterhome Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do HiT(burst) only 3 times a week for 20-25 mins(sometimes 4 if i have time). The important thing is to do something. Sometimes you need to be as low as you can be in yourself, to say ok now is the time to change. Then you do it, like i did. Make it a routine and thats how it goes, wake, gym, prepare food, go to work. HiT for me is the best thing i done.

Having read paper studies on HiT(especially the body adaptation one, where they had runners vs sprinters, with 3x45min sessions vs sprinter 3x15mins sessions, after 6 weeks runners using 6,000kcals vs sprinter 1500kcals, they were checked and found not 1 oz of Body fat loss in runners, in fact the runners lost 2lbs of muscle weight, sprinters lost 4.4lbs of Fat) this proved the theory that the body adapts itself to the physical activity, the body needed less weight to perform running, so lost it where it could, where as the sprinters need to keep muscle, however they don't spend long enough time wise in Fat burning, unlike the runner who do. Remember, if you burn sugars before you burn fat after, and fat before, sugars after. Don't believe me look it up.

Since i started from 0-12 days i lost 14lbs of Fat, gained 3lbs of muscle, and lost 4% body weight. I am continuing now on this strategy. I have dropped my carbs low, am in ketosis, and lift the same if not more than i did in carb heavy diet. Remember there are 2 alternative sources of fuel in the body, one when carbs high, one when carbs low. The choice is yours which to use.

The benefit for carb low, is i am using stored fats as energy, not my carbs, i dont get the urge for chocolate or sweets or crap food, which makes gym and diet quite a simple thing.

But...its down to you if you go or don't go to the gym, which exercise you do, as long as you do something now to start. I just wish i had found the carbs change and routine yrs ago.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    When I saw the changes in a friend of mine I wanted to try it.
    Having never been active with a lifetime of asthma <therefore no cardio other than walking + I hate it) and having never lifted anything heavier than my toddlers or the end of a couch---when I did my first 45lb back squat- I was hooked. <3<3<3
    I am still perfecting- will always be perfecting.
    I lost more inches than pounds in the 1st 6 weeks.

WHY dont people want to lift? - tons of reasons - take your pick, obviously, after 4 pages.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I lift, and rarely do "cardio" since I like to hike on the weekends. I have an elliptical that I'll use occasionally if the weather is poor, but otherwise weights are more fun.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Some mention here that some are intimidated by the free weight section. But when people lift while losing they are so much healthier, and LOOK healthier and more vibrant when they lift. It's especially empowering for women in all aspects of their lives once they give it a go. Nothing wrong with a little cardio. If you focus on protein and veggies, and just enough carbs and fat and the calorie deficit takes care of fat loss. The lifting is building the lean body mass and it's a beautiful thing for everyone, not bulky for women (that is always the fat that causes that, especially fat + muscle).

Resistance training is what wards off osteoporosis for men and woman. Don't skip it! The time is now!

Thanks for telling me I'm unhealthy because I don't lift. I'll be sure to tell my GP your diagnosis.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Thanks for telling me I'm unhealthy because I don't lift. I'll be sure to tell my GP your diagnosis.

That's kind of a stretch. Plus you said on page two that you do body weight.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »

45 mins 3x a week. Everyone has time for that.

Nope, because I also must drive 1 hr. round trip to get to the gym and back. I live in a rural area. If you knew my schedule, you might understand. I'm not going to argue with you, just adding my reason.

ETA: I work FT (and it is a busy time of year right now), I'm a FT grad student, and I am politically active (I am a party official). I intend to start lifting after graduating (Oct.) and after the election (Nov.).

When fitness becomes a priority, suddenly we have time.
    The last guy I knew personally who did not have time watched 3 hours of TV every night while he played games on the computer. If something becomes important, you make the time.
    It takes 90 seconds to knock out a set of push ups once every day...and an additional 2 minutes to perform sit ups.
    5 minutes of jumping jacks and 2 more minutes of curling a chair in your office.
    I've done all these things when my time was limited. Why?
    Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg

Sure, but that isn't what we are talking about. The question was lifting weights, and I don't have time to do that, partly because of where said weights are located. I didn't say I don't have 5 min. to do push-ups, but push-ups are not weights.

That's great brother!
    And good luck with your political/school stuff. Those things are important too.
    Life is about balance.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

...maybe if it said "But when people lift while losing they are so much healthier than those who dont lift."

People who lift are so much healthier...
    People who eat fiber are so much healthier...
    People who run are so much healthier...

I didnt see a comparison in my examples nor in the post that you claim insulted you.. just my unsolicited 2cents. :)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Yes you're right it's helpful to do them simultaneously.

I'll tell you Why I don't really lift, because I can only afford up to 15lb dumbells and can't afford a gym with bigger equipment and I surely won't go to a gym at my size. Maybe I will have more gym confidence when I'm smaller and make it fit my budget but for now the 15lb weights feel like a waste of time since they're hardly a challenge.

Im continually upping the resistance on my elliptical to push those muscles harder, and I do some planks but that's about it. Maybe for now it's just more simple to focus on what I know I can do well, rather than add the complications of learning something new also.