Why would you not weight lift while losing weight?

Options
123457»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    RWClary wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »
    Personally, it is because I just plain do not have the time to lift weights. I don't have 2 hour blocks of time, 3 non-consecutive days each week. My schedule is way too tight with work and class. I intend to lift after I graduate with my current degree program, but I also hope to reach my goal weight by then.

45 mins 3x a week. Everyone has time for that.

Nope, because I also must drive 1 hr. round trip to get to the gym and back. I live in a rural area. If you knew my schedule, you might understand. I'm not going to argue with you, just adding my reason.

ETA: I work FT (and it is a busy time of year right now), I'm a FT grad student, and I am politically active (I am a party official). I intend to start lifting after graduating (Oct.) and after the election (Nov.).

When fitness becomes a priority, suddenly we have time.
    The last guy I knew personally who did not have time watched 3 hours of TV every night while he played games on the computer. If something becomes important, you make the time.
    It takes 90 seconds to knock out a set of push ups once every day...and an additional 2 minutes to perform sit ups.
    5 minutes of jumping jacks and 2 more minutes of curling a chair in your office.
    I've done all these things when my time was limited. Why?
    Fitness is a priority.
    csck9h9xsyu1.jpg

Sure, but that isn't what we are talking about. The question was lifting weights, and I don't have time to do that, partly because of where said weights are located. I didn't say I don't have 5 min. to do push-ups, but push-ups are not weights.

but it is another form of resistance training...body weight training can be very effective "weight training" routine...that is all my son does is body weight and he is very very strong....has gone from 1 chin up to 7 in a matter of months.

So you are saying I have time to go to the gym and lift weights 3 times weekly? If yes, then where exactly in my schedule do you see 2 hour blocks on 3 non-consecutive days? If not, then my original point remains.

I am saying if it's a priority you make the time.

I don't lift at a gym...I lift at home. I made it a priority and set aside the space and funds to get setup (and it is a cheap setup) but effective.

and why is it 2 hours? I lift for max 15mins a day 4x a week....I can bench my body weight, dead lift 235lbs and squat 210...OHP 100lbs...as a woman those are good numbers...no one has ever said you have to spend hours in the gym to reap the benefits of resistance training...

Or the alternative

Body weight resistance in your home which can take as much time as you want...as mentioned my son does that in his apartment...massive strength gains going on.

but hey if you don't want to block out 15 or 20 mins a day to get stronger don't...your loss.
    quiarga wrote: »
    Personally, it is because I just plain do not have the time to lift weights. I don't have 2 hour blocks of time, 3 non-consecutive days each week. My schedule is way too tight with work and class. I intend to lift after I graduate with my current degree program, but I also hope to reach my goal weight by then.

It doesn't take hours a day, but yes non-consecutive days are important. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and usually about 40-45 minutes M/W/F.

As explained earlier, it takes 2 hours because it takes 1 hr. to drive (round trip) to the gym and 1 hr. to lift. Honestly, it takes more than 1 hr. to lift normally, when I actually do. But that also includes some time on the treadmill to get my heart rate elevated first. I don't have space in my small duplex for that, nor can I justify the cost for something that I can't fit anyway, when I have a gym membership.

Also, since I can tell you didn't read my original post that you are arguing with, I DO intend to lift when I actually have time (after Nov.). Right now, I just plain don't have time and I'm frankly getting annoyed at those of you who want to argue about that as though you understand my circumstances better than I do.

I wasn't arguing with you I was agree with @RWClary I believe...you took it as a slap to you when in fact it wasn't...

take a step back and relax.

besides if strength training was important to you I mean really important you would do what you could...again I will mention my son who prefers not to lift weights so he does bodyweight and at 200 lbs he is really getting strong...I am even amazed.

But again wasn't disagreeing with you or telling you how to live your life....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Yes you're right it's helpful to do them simultaneously.

I'll tell you Why I don't really lift, because I can only afford up to 15lb dumbells and can't afford a gym with bigger equipment and I surely won't go to a gym at my size. Maybe I will have more gym confidence when I'm smaller and make it fit my budget but for now the 15lb weights feel like a waste of time since they're hardly a challenge.

Im continually upping the resistance on my elliptical to push those muscles harder, and I do some planks but that's about it. Maybe for now it's just more simple to focus on what I know I can do well, rather than add the complications of learning something new also.

A bunch of my coworkers and I all did basic plank together yesterday. I'd like to work up to this:

a7a30d1d284409000eb992714933c6e1-723x1024.jpg

http://www.lifehack.org/292578/7-things-that-will-happen-when-you-start-doing-planks-every-day
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Yes you're right it's helpful to do them simultaneously.

I'll tell you Why I don't really lift, because I can only afford up to 15lb dumbells and can't afford a gym with bigger equipment and I surely won't go to a gym at my size. Maybe I will have more gym confidence when I'm smaller and make it fit my budget but for now the 15lb weights feel like a waste of time since they're hardly a challenge.

Im continually upping the resistance on my elliptical to push those muscles harder, and I do some planks but that's about it. Maybe for now it's just more simple to focus on what I know I can do well, rather than add the complications of learning something new also.

A bunch of my coworkers and I all did basic plank together yesterday. I'd like to work up to this:

a7a30d1d284409000eb992714933c6e1-723x1024.jpg

http://www.lifehack.org/292578/7-things-that-will-happen-when-you-start-doing-planks-every-day

I did a plank challenge here on MFP recently (there is a thread in the challenges section), but did elbow planks (because I only knew about elbow planks and wobbly elevated planks, and I thought elbow planks were normal planks). The key in that challenge was working up to longer times gradually over 30 days.