Gained weight on 1200cal diet, AND 800cal diet.

Options

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm 5'2 and I weighed a steady 130 lbs for years. Over the winter I slowly gained weight, until I got to 144. In January I started a 1200cal diet with cardio exercise, and gained 2 pounds. Last week, I read that for some RARE women, 1200 may not be enough for weight loss, so I (maybe stupidly), restricted to 800cals. I worked out like crazy every day. I gained another pound. I feel so frustrated I want to cry. In hindsight, I know 800 was probably too little. I should have done 1000. But still! I don't know what else to do. I'm only 21 years old. I'm trying to get to 120 lbs. Please feel free to add me for Support as well.

Assuming exercising 3 times weekly for 30 mins at a light intensity, currently 144 lbs, and a sedentary job, your TDEE is 1643 cals per day.

You're short (No offense meant), but you're fighting an uphill battle. Any error in your logging could completely wipe any deficit you might have.

Buy and use a food scale, to get the most accurate logging possible. I would not recommend logging your exercise in the app, as the estimates for caloric burn rate are way off. Set your daily goal to 1200, log accurately, and see what happens for a bit. I'm guessing overestimation of caloric burn coupled with inaccurate logging is what is doing you in. Very heavy individuals can error greatly in both, and still see results, because their TDEE is so high to being with. You're only 20 lbs over, have a low TDEE, so you need to really knuckle down on the logging aspect.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm 5'2 and I weighed a steady 130 lbs for years. Over the winter I slowly gained weight, until I got to 144. In January I started a 1200cal diet with cardio exercise, and gained 2 pounds. Last week, I read that for some RARE women, 1200 may not be enough for weight loss, so I (maybe stupidly), restricted to 800cals. I worked out like crazy every day. I gained another pound. I feel so frustrated I want to cry. In hindsight, I know 800 was probably too little. I should have done 1000. But still! I don't know what else to do. I'm only 21 years old. I'm trying to get to 120 lbs. Please feel free to add me for Support as well.

Assuming exercising 3 times weekly for 30 mins at a light intensity, currently 144 lbs, and a sedentary job, your TDEE is 1643 cals per day.

You're short (No offense meant), but you're fighting an uphill battle. Any error in your logging could completely wipe any deficit you might have.

Buy and use a food scale, to get the most accurate logging possible. I would not recommend logging your exercise in the app, as the estimates for caloric burn rate are way off. Set your daily goal to 1200, log accurately, and see what happens for a bit. I'm guessing overestimation of caloric burn coupled with inaccurate logging is what is doing you in. Very heavy individuals can error greatly in both, and still see results, because their TDEE is so high to being with. You're only 20 lbs over, have a low TDEE, so you need to really knuckle down on the logging aspect.

@coreyreichle Where do you get 1643?

I checked on a site that I find close to actuals and with exercise and age and other stats it calculates it at 2k....

cut at 1610...which makes sense at her age, current weight and exercise...
  • coreyreichle
    edited April 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I checked on a site that I find close to actuals and with exercise and age and other stats it calculates it at 2k....

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Bear in mind, I also made some assumptions, which I laid out, and OP didn't provide (ie, intensity level of exercise, time/frequency of exercise, and daily activity level).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Rebek_h
    Rebek_h Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    vcurrie19 wrote: »
    I'm not a fitness junkie, but I would assume the weight gain is probably muscle gain. 800 calories is really low girl, I wouldn't suggest going that low. Eating healthily and often while maintaining your workouts is your best option. Overall though, I would think your weight gain is probably muscle (or water retention, but I don't know how much water you've been drinking!)

LOL...you think she gained muscle in a couple weeks eating 800 calories a day?? please explain how that is possible

I managed it pretty well.

Also she says she has been doing it since January, a couple of months not a couple of week.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Bear in mind, I also made some assumptions, which I laid out, and OP didn't provide (ie, intensity level of exercise, time/frequency of exercise, and daily activity level).

I made assumptions as well on exercise

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

typically these are quite close.

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=21&lbs=144&in=61&act=1.375&f=1

this one is higher than yours as well....hence the reason giving out numbers is not a good idea.

To figure out TDEE actually requires personal data and this formula

Total calories consumed + (lbs lostx 3500)/#days

need to be accurate with consumption using a food scale of course and at least 21 days.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Is Not Linear

Calculate your TDEE, eat under that to lose weight (-500 for 1lb a week or -250 for 0.5lbs a week).

looks pretty linear to me.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    WATER weight; water weighs @ 8.33 # / gallon, depending on your hydration level one can easily weigh 3-4# heavier or lighter. Look long term (Monthly).
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Weight Loss Is Not Linear

Calculate your TDEE, eat under that to lose weight (-500 for 1lb a week or -250 for 0.5lbs a week).

looks pretty linear to me.

Notice how the weight goes up then down then back up? The trend is going downward yes but you might find yourself a couple lbs heavier on some days - this just means to not get discouraged and keep on trucking!
  • coreyreichle
    Options

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=21&lbs=144&in=61&act=1.375&f=1

this one is higher than yours as well....hence the reason giving out numbers is not a good idea.

need to be accurate with consumption using a food scale of course and at least 21 days.

Personally, I don't like to use the sites you supplied, due to lack of granularity in what data you provide. ie, how much exercise and for how long...

But, to each their own, I suppose.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Personally, I don't like to use the sites you supplied, due to lack of granularity in what data you provide. ie, how much exercise and for how long...

Good thing you added to the convo by supplying what you would use instead. Great.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Good thing you added to the convo by supplying what you would use instead. Great.

Ha! +1
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    OP you are retaining water- natural fluctiations in weight- or eating more than you think.
    To gain weight- not water - you have to eat at maintenance PLUS.
    Get a food scale, take your body measurements.
    Weigh once per week
    And please eat more than 800.
    Calculating TDEE is a great place to start.
    And give time. :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    It could be the fact that you need to eat more than 1200 not less. Some people actually lose when they eat more.

Could be that your muscles are retaining water from the workouts but that shouldn't be ongoing for so long that it is actually making you only gain. It happens to me when I have harder than usual workouts but doesn't last more than a few days.

Are you weighing and measuring all of your foods? I've found that guessing when measuring isn't good because you will always get it wrong. Sounds very tedious to do but it actually works.

Are you doing the food diary with each meal? If so, look at your numbers and see if you are getting too much sodium.

Also need to factor in hormones and the fact you have little to lose (only 24 lbs to lose) so that may make it harder. And our bodies are doing more than just focusing on losing weight so it could be something going on inside you that you have no control over.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have a friend that needs to eat only 1500 calories to lose weight and is male, everyone is different a lot of people on here are very active some are not. Not every TDEE calculator is right. MFP recommended him to be at 1650. That is an extra 150 calories to stall the weight loss. Just remember all calculators are a recommendation. My friend's bench has stayed the same at 225 for reps of 5, so he's maintaining strength and this is how we he knows it's working. Usually a person will lose strength if they cut too many calories. So, op if you're lifting weights judge your workouts by how they feel, and results like reps, sets, intensity! I'm 100% sure that 800 is too low, but I am guessing 1100-1300 would be your range. Unfortunately it's trial and error you stated 1200 was not working, I think you just got the patience bug. Go back to that number and see what happens. GOOD LUCK!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    vcurrie19 wrote: »
    I'm not a fitness junkie, but I would assume the weight gain is probably muscle gain. 800 calories is really low girl, I wouldn't suggest going that low. Eating healthily and often while maintaining your workouts is your best option. Overall though, I would think your weight gain is probably muscle (or water retention, but I don't know how much water you've been drinking!)

LOL...you think she gained muscle in a couple weeks eating 800 calories a day?? please explain how that is possible

I managed it pretty well.

Also she says she has been doing it since January, a couple of months not a couple of week.

*Palm to Face*
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    If you want help opening your diary is the first step. No one your age & size gains on 800 calories. You're probably not logging as tightly as you should & eating more than you think. Think about it: no one has ever gone into famine sites or thrown open the doors of prisons and found 'special' outlier heavyset people who mysteriously gain weight in those conditions. Just nope.
    And your data set sounds short. Pick a sensible deficit. Log & measure accurately. Collect daily weights but put them through a trending app and see what happens over 8-12 weeks. That's a data set that will actually show you something. Your day to day weights are going to jump all over the place. Get used to it.

• maxxeckert
    maxxeckert Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight on 800-1200 calories, then you are logging inaccurately. It is near impossible to not lose weight with that caloric intake.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

@coreyreichle you missed the most important part of my post...how to calculate your own tdee without assumptions and websites.

and the fact you shouldn't throw numbers at folks without really knowing the facts.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Good thing you didn't take the time to read his earlier post where he linked to it and also provided the data he extracted from it for the OP.