Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    OK.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Love them. Can't you have them in moderation? Or are you completely done?
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    What about apples, grapes and pears? The sugar content in each of those is comparable to a banana. Why discriminate against bananas? They're delicious.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Trainers are not nutritionists or licensed dieticians. Your trainer is not qualified to make this determination.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Trainers are not nutritionists or licensed dieticians. Your trainer is not qualified to make this determination.

This.

But I'd still fire a nutritionist or dietician who told me that I can't have X food anyway.
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is a fool.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing brain surgery wasn't a career option for your trainer!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It's the worst fruit for me too much sugar but I like them otherwise

@ericalillykristene welcome to MFP forums.

I had to cut out bananas in the process of trying to manage my joint and muscle pain without having to start Enbrel injections. I like bananas but to by pass on starting to use Enbrel in my case losing the bananas was a no brainer due to my age and state of health two years ago. At age 65 longevity is more on my mind than making my taste buds happy. :)

Best of success.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    A life without bananas is not worth living.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I had to cut out bananas in the process of trying to manage my joint and muscle pain without having to start Enbrel injections. I like bananas but to by pass on starting to use Enbrel in my case losing the bananas was a no brainer due to my age and state of health two years ago. At age 65 longevity is more on my mind than making my taste buds happy. :)

Best of success.

I missed where OP stated she has a medical condition that would require her to give them up or why it would be her trainer to give her this advice.

Outside of a medical issue, there is no reason that one can't eat bananas because of the sugar.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    FWIW I eat a Banana every morning before my daily walk, Until I started eating bananas I had leg cramps many nights.

As long as You are not Diabetic why not have one as long as You account for their calories in Your days food?

Good Luck
    Roger
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    No reason to give up bananas unless you have an allergy. There's still a bit of fiber in bananas, unlike many people would have you believe. It's no worse than any other fruit.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Best of success.

I missed where OP stated she has a medical condition that would require her to give them up or why it would be her trainer to give her this advice.

Outside of a medical issue, there is no reason that one can't eat bananas because of the sugar.

draxe.com/banana-nutrition/

Under the side effects heading are facts that people without medical conditions might would like to consider concerning eating bananas or not. Foods options are huge and are only limited by our goals and objectives for health and longevity.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Eat bananas if you like them. I fail hard in trying to understand how personal trainers have any business giving advice on food and nutrition.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Eat bananas if you like them. I fail hard in trying to understand how personal trainers have any business giving advice on food and nutrition.

Just look at this social media thread and you will realize people off the street are giving advice on food and nutrition without any credentials. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Do you have a medical condition that requires you to limit sugars? If so then advice on what you eat should come from a doctor or registered dietician not a personal trainer.
    If you don't havea medical reason to limit sugars and you like bananas then eat them. Stick to your calorie goal to lose weight and eat what you like.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Is your trainer also a registered dietician? Do you know that getting credentials for becoming a PT has nothing to with nutrition ?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Did you trainer elaborate on this? I work with a trainer and he has a masters degree in nutrition and he will often give me nutritional advice but he usually elaborates...he's never given me a blank, "don't eat X because I say so." He'll usually tell me X is a more nutritionally sound choice than Y because A, B, and C and so on and so forth and we usually talk about context too...like sucking on jolly ranchers while I'm sitting at my desk all day is probably not a good idea...sucking on some jolly ranchers when I'm on a long ride would be acceptable. We usually have an actual discussion so that I can make an informed decision.

As bananas go, they have a higher glycemic load (don't use index) than a lot of other fruits...so maybe that's where he's going with that. In general I tend towards lower GL fruits, but I do eat higher GL fruits like bananas and dried fruits and whatnot when I'm really putting myself through the paces...like my 6 hour hike straight up a mountain yesterday...in that situation, sugar is good and the faster I can get it in me, the better...50 mile bike ride? Yeah...I'm taking some dried fruit along.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »

I agree. Your trainer is just basing this on his personal preference. Eat what you like, always in moderation of course.