My trainer says NO BANANAS

Options

Replies

• ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    A life without bananas is not worth living.

I can understand this. I once broke up with a guy because he was deathly allergic to peanuts and I couldn't possibly see myself going without peanut butter (ok, at the time I was specifically thinking peanut butter cups) for the rest of my life.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    They aren't bad.............but they do have some calories. If your goal is weight loss, CICO is your main concern. If bananas interfere with that, then you may want to only have them occasionally.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is a fool.

I was going to go with "moron," but then I saw @tuckerrj 's comment that the trainer is "not qualified to make this determination," and I've decided to second that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is a fool.

I was going to go with "moron," but then I saw @tuckerrj 's comment that the trainer is "not qualified to make this determination," and I've decided to second that.

Why do you say this?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Strange, my favorite preworkout fuel is typically a banana and some caffeine. That is usually what I eat cutting or bulking.

This guy is an olympic sprinter and he eats up to 30 a day:
    http://spikes.iaaf.org/post/yohan-blake-i-could-and-would-eat-up-to-30-bananas-a
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Your trainer is a fool.

Why do you say this?

Because I would no more take nutrition advice from a trainer than I would take tax advice from my dentist.
  • myepi
    myepi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It turned out I am gluten intolerant, so instead of bread, I have a banana for breakfast. My nutritionist totally happy with it.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    It's the worst fruit for me too much sugar but I like them otherwise

@ericalillykristene welcome to MFP forums.

I had to cut out bananas in the process of trying to manage my joint and muscle pain without having to start Enbrel injections. I like bananas but to by pass on starting to use Enbrel in my case losing the bananas was a no brainer due to my age and state of health two years ago. At age 65 longevity is more on my mind than making my taste buds happy. :)

Best of success.

I missed where OP stated she has a medical condition that would require her to give them up or why it would be her trainer to give her this advice.

Outside of a medical issue, there is no reason that one can't eat bananas because of the sugar.

draxe.com/banana-nutrition/

Under the side effects heading are facts that people without medical conditions might would like to consider concerning eating bananas or not. Foods options are huge and are only limited by our goals and objectives for health and longevity.

Oh for *kitten* sake Gale. Remember what we said about vetting sources?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    ericaconti wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »
    A life without bananas is not worth living.

I can understand this. I once broke up with a guy because he was deathly allergic to peanuts and I couldn't possibly see myself going without peanut butter (ok, at the time I was specifically thinking peanut butter cups) for the rest of my life.

Wow, you must really love peanut butter. LOL
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    When I became diabetic, the nutritionist limited banana's to 1/2, also no to most melon fruits (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, etc) and others like grapes. That was for, as stated, a medical condition.
    I'd like to know why the OP's trainer told her no to banana's.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm totally okay with not eating bananas.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    When I became diabetic, the nutritionist limited banana's to 1/2, also no to most melon fruits (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, etc) and others like grapes. That was for, as stated, a medical condition.
    I'd like to know why the OP's trainer told her no to banana's.

I'm going to guess it's not because the trainer diagnosed the OP as a diabetic, or because a doctor who diagnosed the OP as a diabetic referred her to the trainer for nutrition information on how to eat to manage diabetes.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was just to spite Freelee
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    A trainer may not have any more nutritional education than you do. Here's the career description from O*NET of fitness trainers and aerobics instructors:

http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/39-9031.00

I don't see anything there about being nutritional experts. I've used three personal trainers over the years, and the only nutritional suggestions I got from them was advice on buying the nutritional crap they sold in the fitness center store because they got commissions from it. They certainly didn't have the kind of training a nutritionist has:

http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1031.00

My trainers tried to tell me various sorts of BS, and I'd smile and nod and tell them I would consider their advice. Any trainer who insisted I follow his/her nutritional advice as a condition of working with him/her would immediately lose me as a client. That includes bananas, which I like frozen once in a while in a smoothie.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here's another take on Dr. Axe:

http://www.overcomeobesity.org/overcome-obesity/research/josh-axe-d-c-spewing-a-bunch-of-nonsense-on-the-dr-oz-show/

Frankly, I'd steer clear of advice from any "expert" who appears on Dr. Oz or Oprah. Or anyone who has to post a photo of his "credentials" on his site to prove he knows what he's talking about.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Fruit is one of the best things you can have, unless you have some specific health problem that means you need to avoid, then being denied fruit is just wrong. If anyone told me not to have bananas, that'd be the last time I ever listened to them.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was just to spite Freelee

There's better ways to spite Freelie and still have bananas....

I think I'll have a peanut butter and banana sandwich later.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    maybe he meant sexually?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's the worst fruit for me too much sugar but I like them otherwise

@ericalillykristene welcome to MFP forums.

I had to cut out bananas in the process of trying to manage my joint and muscle pain without having to start Enbrel injections. I like bananas but to by pass on starting to use Enbrel in my case losing the bananas was a no brainer due to my age and state of health two years ago. At age 65 longevity is more on my mind than making my taste buds happy. :)

Best of success.

I missed where OP stated she has a medical condition that would require her to give them up or why it would be her trainer to give her this advice.

Outside of a medical issue, there is no reason that one can't eat bananas because of the sugar.

draxe.com/banana-nutrition/

Under the side effects heading are facts that people without medical conditions might would like to consider concerning eating bananas or not. Foods options are huge and are only limited by our goals and objectives for health and longevity.

Did you seriously just link to Dr Axe?

Do you realize how much absolute nonsense he promotes?

EDIT: Regarding the article -- the only justification you could make for avoiding bananas MIGHT be type 2 diabetics eating ripe bananas in isolation in a fasted state.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Trainers are not nutritionists or licensed dieticians. Your trainer is not qualified to make this determination.

Maybe not, although some trainers choose to add a certification/degree in nutrition in order to offer more guidance to their clients (and charge more). Don't make assumptions.