My trainer says NO BANANAS

Options

Replies

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have used a trainer I really liked for learning how to work out, but we quickly agreed he would stop giving me nutrition advice after I kept researching and debunking all the claims he was making about what I should and shouldn't eat.
    I think there are a lot of sites out there that trainers frequent that are filled with nonsense.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Please don't listen to Gale. The misinformation and the anti-carb tirade he is on is crazy-sauce.

Your trainer is stupid. So, fire him/her and find someone good.

Agree 100%!!!

OP I eat a banana every single day and lost 121 pounds!! Banana's are awesome!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Here's another take on Dr. Axe:

http://www.overcomeobesity.org/overcome-obesity/research/josh-axe-d-c-spewing-a-bunch-of-nonsense-on-the-dr-oz-show/

Frankly, I'd steer clear of advice from any "expert" who appears on Dr. Oz or Oprah. Or anyone who has to post a photo of his "credentials" on his site to prove he knows what he's talking about.

Haven't read the link yet but Dr Axe is one of the worst. Promotes a whole bunch of nonsense.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't have BS issues.

Been eating a banana a day, some days more, for over a year. Same year I dropped 55 pounds and got off all medications.
  • ericalillykristene
    ericalillykristene Posts: 26 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My trainer is a dietician/nutritionist with Ph.D. He just said it has too much sugar for what I'm trying to accomplish with my macros. Nothing against bananas or anyone else.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    My trainer is a dietician/nutritionist with Ph.D. He just said it has too much sugar for what I'm trying to accomplish with my macros. Nothing against bananas or anyone else.

What is your carbohydrate target?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Maybe it was just to spite Freelee

Another valid reason, one that I didn't consider but I do endorse.
  • ericalillykristene
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

301 grams a day
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Bananas are aight. If I had more calories to spend on food in general I'd probably eat them. I'd really rather not waste my carbs/sugar/calories on them though as they don't fill me up and they're not magical.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

PhD in what? I'm guessing physical education.

How about half a banana? It goes even better with a little peanut butter.

Hubby thinks bananas equal healthy and always incorporates them in his shakes.

Bananas have potassium which can be helpful.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It's the worst fruit for me too much sugar but I like them otherwise

Find a new trainer? One who does not give nonsense eating advice?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

301 grams a day

WHA?

300 grams of carbs? You have plenty of room for a dang banana.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Eat bananas if you like them. I fail hard in trying to understand how personal trainers have any business giving advice on food and nutrition.

Just look at this social media thread and you will realize people off the street are giving advice on food and nutrition without any credentials. :)

Like you?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

301 grams a day

My carbs are way less then that and that's including a banana every day. LOL
  • SideSteel
    Options

301 grams a day

I'd very highly question the idea that you can't have a banana given that carbohydrate target.

I'd be curious if you have a limitation on total sugar intake, sugar intake from "added sugar" and if so, what the justification is for that.

I don't expect you to have all of this information but if I were given the advice you were given from a trainer, I'd absolutely be questioning that advice ESPECIALLY given your carbohydrate target.

• SideSteel
    Options
    Aside: Dr Axe is also an anti-vaccine nutjob which should be enough to make anyone highly suspect of anything he says.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    301 grams a day

A banana has ~50g of carbs -- that's a lot of your daily "budget". 28 g of that is sugar. I sometimes halve bananas and freeze them, and use half in a smoothie because of the carb/sugar content. And sometimes I'll have a whole one just because I like bananas. :)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Eat bananas if you like them. I fail hard in trying to understand how personal trainers have any business giving advice on food and nutrition.

Just look at this social media thread and you will realize people off the street are giving advice on food and nutrition without any credentials. :)

well technically by giving your opinion and linking to "facts" (and i use that term loosely) you are giving advice without any credentials. Since i will have my masters in nutrition in a few days i will just go ahead and say i have a masters in nutrition. There is no reason to cut out bananas unless otherwise allergic, digestive issues (and you eat them green and it hurts your stomach.. obvious), you have diabetes and eat them brown (in their most sugary state) and you have been fasting.. and even then it most likely wont kill you. If you dont want the banana calories dont eat the bananas. Your trainer is telling you to cut out foods because it makes him look like he knows what hes talking about... snd trainers (some) love restrictive diets.
  • ericalillykristene
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

301 grams a day

WHA?

arditarose wrote: »

301 grams a day

WHA?

We've done my diet by my macros for what I'm trying to achieve every gram is accounted for