Please stop feeding my child junk!!

Options

Replies

• serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    We have this problem with grandma (who by the way never ever let her kids eat anything unhealthy when they were young). She lives next door and loves to spoil the kids with cookies, candy and tons of homemade (and store bought) junk food. I've seen first hand that my kids bodies function better when they eat diets low in gluten, dairy and sugar (its hereditary on my side) but those are the primary food groups at Grandma's. Then my kids come home with terrible stomach aches and constipation. We've even had to limit the time they're allowed to spend there because they started purposely snubbing the meals I cooked them because they knew Grandma would fill them with baked goodies as soon as they went to her house. I hate that it's this way but we've spoken up and were just told that it's grandma's job to spoil them and basically told we're mean for depriving our children of treats (we don't - we just don't have them in our home because they get more than enough elsewhere). I really just don't understand.
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First-time mom here AND my mother takes care of my son. She is also the most unhealthy eater I've ever met, so I think I can speak to this a bit. My son is two, and we too are trying to teach him healthy eating habits, especially since we eat as clean as possible.

Even though we had/have a lot of healthy snacks in the house, my mom chooses to buy him cheese curls, goldfish crackers, etc. Does it suck? Yes. Have I talked to her a million times? Yes. But it's going to happen, and when I finally just started to chill over it, things became better. I still keep healthy items in the house (I even try to get healthier versions of some of the snacks I know grandma loves to give him), he eats healthy meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I pack healthy items when we go out, and if I catch someone trying to give him something I don't like, I do exactly what you did "I'd prefer if he have one of his snacks" and that is what I give him instead. However, one Oreo isn't going to hurt (so long as he doesn't have an allergy). If everyone else is having a cookie, I'm probably going to let my son have a cookie though.

Disrespecting your wishes and dismissing your concerns is the most frustrating, and it happens often to me as well, but the thing is when your child starts school or goes to a friend's house, you won't be able to control that. You can only hope that you are giving your child the knowledge he/she needs to make good choices, which is what you do with anything in life. You're doing the best you can, and I promise your child is going to know what's good for him/her. They aren't going to go for the ice cream and Cheeto bag for dinner every time because that's what grandma gave them the night before. They are with you the majority of the time, and they will learn the difference and will turn out just fine :-)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    We have this problem with grandma (who by the way never ever let her kids eat anything unhealthy when they were young). She lives next door and loves to spoil the kids with cookies, candy and tons of homemade (and store bought) junk food. I've seen first hand that my kids bodies function better when they eat diets low in gluten, dairy and sugar (its hereditary on my side) but those are the primary food groups at Grandma's. Then my kids come home with terrible stomach aches and constipation. We've even had to limit the time they're allowed to spend there because they started purposely snubbing the meals I cooked them because they knew Grandma would fill them with baked goodies as soon as they went to her house. I hate that it's this way but we've spoken up and were just told that it's grandma's job to spoil them and basically told we're mean for depriving our children of treats (we don't - we just don't have them in our home because they get more than enough elsewhere). I really just don't understand.

From my perspective, kids won't be kids forever. I'd rather not speak in absolutes to them where teaching moderation is an option, so we use these as teaching moments. No, they won't learn the first few times they get tummy aches from bingeing, but over time it will sink in. I've watched our 10 year old start to regularly self-moderate over the last couple of years. The alternative of preventing them from learning from personal experience deprives them of learning to say the words "no thank you" when we're not around. We all take different approaches to parenting, but that's mine.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Occasional treats I'm fine with. And we have lots of discussions about moderation. But in my case it's not 'forbidding the kids to see their grandma over a cookie ' it's the kids willfully choosing not to eat their healthy supper so they can go to Grandma's for cake most days of the week. If we remind grandma that they didn't eat dinner so perhaps they shouldn't have cake we hear "how can you say no to that sweet face" and the kids get cake. So we have to restrict trips to Grandma's to weekends even though she lives next door. We have comprised, however, by inviting Grandma to our house to join us in the meal we're eating on a more frequent basis which seems to be working well. Same goes with video game time. Playing for a bit on weekends at grandma's is fine, but throwing a tantrum and refusing to stop playing to leave grandma's at bedtime on a weeknight isn't going to cut it. Moderation is great but it seems like everywhere the kids go these days (school, church, parties, sports) they're being plied with sugary treats which leaves mehaving to be strict about healthy eating habits at home so they get any exposure at all.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I agree your kids should eat what you want them to. Keep looking until you find a provider who will comply. I work in child care and feed the kids exactly how their parents ask because it's my job.

If it's family or your friends, stick to your guns or tell them your child won't be coming over any more without you. If you think it's important don't give up.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    First child. Ha ha ha ha ha! You'll soon get it.

I have three children and taught them to make healthier food choices their whole lives. My oldest is 20 and still makes great choices for the most part. My teenager is going through that 'eat every piece of junk she can find' phase right now but was always a decent eater and my 6 yr old loves veggies and fruits and whole foods. She will gobble up the veggies off her plate at every meal before eating anything else.

It is very possible to instill good food choices in your children from a young age. Will they always stick to it? Maybe not. But they will have that foundation that was set for them from a young age at least. But just flat out giving in and saying well they won't eat what I give them IF it's healthy and then giving them crap to take the easy way out is very wrong too.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    All of my children are now adults. When they were little, I tried very hard to keep them on a healthy diet and to not eat junk. It is hard, it looks like your child is still very small. It gets harder...stick to your guns and try to always give them healthy options-they will get used to it and expect healthy options through out everything they do. There will ALWAYS be people who want to give your child an Oreo when you want them to have a multigrain bar-One way I got around that at class parties and day care etc. is to make a healthy option type cookie at home and bring it in for all of the kids..I.e. Carrot, oatmeal cookies-when all the other kids think that what YOUR child has is a special treat, they will want it too. Makes your child feel special that you want them to be healthy. Easter Baskets and stockings had exotic fruit and pricy protein bars that they didn't normally get. My children never felt deprived because they didn't get junk. They all still come home and want the food that I make for them-vegetables and all! ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Your daughter probably gonna hate eating healthy when she's grown if she's deprive from junk food all her childhood life

My n=1 reflects the opposite - I was "deprived" of junk as a child and it made it really easy for me to return to healthy eating. I believe it positively affected my taste buds as well.

I wasn't "deprived of junk" as a child (it doesn't actually sound to me like OP's daughter is either). My mom cooked normal balanced meals with vegetables and expected us to eat them, but I would have been permitted to have sugary cereal for breakfast (my sister was), except that I hated it. We got to have snacks in moderation and if there was a class party or birthday party we were of course allowed to partake. Fast food was a rare thing, but an occasional thing, and my mom enjoys baking cookies and would sometimes.

Despite that, it has never been hard for me to eat a healthful diet, and I have always (well, as an adult) enjoyed lots of stereotypically healthy foods, like almost all vegetables, and preferred eating a balanced diet and not had any kind of excessive desire for sugar (in fact, I dislike overly sweet things sometimes).

My sister of the sugary cereal breakfast actually likes sweet things less than I do now and really doesn't eat them (she just doesn't have a sweet tooth). She's never been overweight, I got overweight (although I am not anymore) eating mostly meals that would be considered healthy (but for the calories, sigh).

So eating some "junk" as a kid doesn't actually ruin one's palate or anything.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    sudmom wrote: »
    All of my children are now adults. When they were little, I tried very hard to keep them on a healthy diet and to not eat junk. It is hard, it looks like your child is still very small. It gets harder...stick to your guns and try to always give them healthy options-they will get used to it and expect healthy options through out everything they do. There will ALWAYS be people who want to give your child an Oreo when you want them to have a multigrain bar-One way I got around that at class parties and day care etc. is to make a healthy option type cookie at home and bring it in for all of the kids..I.e. Carrot, oatmeal cookies-when all the other kids think that what YOUR child has is a special treat, they will want it too. Makes your child feel special that you want them to be healthy. Easter Baskets and stockings had exotic fruit and pricy protein bars that they didn't normally get. My children never felt deprived because they didn't get junk. They all still come home and want the food that I make for them-vegetables and all! ;-)

Most schools no longer allow homemade foods brought into classrooms (that will be shared ). Things must come in their original packages (we've been a part of several schools and that's been the rule at all of them).
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    OP just took a look at your profile, and I am a bit confused.
    You have a lot of weight to lose, so there is something wrong with what you all have been eating as a family, at least in the past, and the problem is not the occasional treat your kid gets from others. It is also surprisign your own diary contains daily treats, including the ones you do not want your kid to eat? Not saying that treats are bad, but when it comes to kids, lead by example. Learning good habits at home will not be undone by eating a cookie at school.

Rekt
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The schools here in my district also have a pre-approved list of packaged things we can bring in for the class. We can't even bring in bakery items from a grocery store. Homemade treats are always better in my opinion, but they do that for peanut allergy reasons.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    OP just took a look at your profile, and I am a bit confused.
    You have a lot of weight to lose, so there is something wrong with what you all have been eating as a family, at least in the past, and the problem is not the occasional treat your kid gets from others. It is also surprisign your own diary contains daily treats, including the ones you do not want your kid to eat? Not saying that treats are bad, but when it comes to kids, lead by example. Learning good habits at home will not be undone by eating a cookie at school.

Rekt

Wait it's better, multiple entries for candy for days, nachos, etc., but the daughter can have pizza once a month?
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You do realize that your whole grain bar has more calories than an Oreo, right?

And your honey oat cereal probably has close to the same amount of sugar as the 'sugary loaded cereal' you're speaking of.

Also, I can't even start to think about how unhealthy it is to prevent your daughter from having a cookie if everyone else has one... Just wow...

Just going to say the same thing as that wise person before me... 'good luck with that'.

I think all of these judgement comments about the oreo are missing the point. The oreo was an example of someone blatantly disregarding/not comprehending the OP's wishes immediately after she had just explained it. She says in her OP that she does let her daughter have treats occasionally and at parties and on special occasions. Plus the child is a toddler and too young to read nutrition labels and is therefore being given a good head start through experience. So I assume that her point refers to right now in this phase of the child's growth. I don't see anything wrong with her wanting to get her child used to the taste of nutritionally dense foods at this early age. She isn't dictating her entire life, just this point in her development.

I agree with everyone who is saying that this is difficult terrain because when you are not around you can't really control what others feed her. You are doing a good job already by packing her food, looking for caregivers who will respect your wishes, and communicating your wishes to family who will care for her but I think you will get to a point where you have to pick your battles. I would have definitely left and not hired the caregiver who offered the cookie immediately after you just explained you didn't want her to eat like that.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    The schools here in my district also have a pre-approved list of packaged things we can bring in for the class. We can't even bring in bakery items from a grocery store. Homemade treats are always better in my opinion, but they do that for peanut allergy reasons.

Yep, it's because of allergies that homemade stuff can't be brought in here too.
This discussion has been closed.