123457»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    100df wrote: »
    Of course I have. I would have omitted that fact if I wanted to mislead you into thinking I'm being completely objective here.
    But my points still stand. Don't treat your children like property, other people have just as much capacity of knowing what's good for your children as you do, sometimes even more, and you have a responsibility towards your children to at least consider what they're saying because children are not some inanimate property that you can do with as you please. Don't ignore other people who come in contact with your child for the sole reason that "you're their parent so you automatically know better than anyone else" because that is just not true.

Are you a parent?

I am not sure it matters. His comments are right. Kids need to be exposed to different perspectives. Parents can't provide all perspectives. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, my friends, teachers, coaches, strangers and many others have made contributions in some way.
    Of course it matters. Until you have a child, you have no clue of the love, the worry and the stress involved. You just don't, sorry. And of course that is just my opinion. I am as biased as I accused @stevencloser of being...

As a father of two I'm having trouble connecting love and stess to discounting the perspectives of family members and the rest of society.

And you are entitled to your opinion...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    Generally provided good nutrition for the family but let the kids decide when going to a party etc.
    After one party of excess promply chucked up from the gorging of sugar, chocolate etc
    A valuable lesson thats not forgotten!

And that lesson is for them to pace themselves next time...

...a valuable lesson indeed that is applicable to many facets of life.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Of course I have. I would have omitted that fact if I wanted to mislead you into thinking I'm being completely objective here.
    But my points still stand. Don't treat your children like property, other people have just as much capacity of knowing what's good for your children as you do, sometimes even more, and you have a responsibility towards your children to at least consider what they're saying because children are not some inanimate property that you can do with as you please. Don't ignore other people who come in contact with your child for the sole reason that "you're their parent so you automatically know better than anyone else" because that is just not true.

Are you a parent?

I am not sure it matters. His comments are right. Kids need to be exposed to different perspectives. Parents can't provide all perspectives. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, my friends, teachers, coaches, strangers and many others have made contributions in some way.
    Of course it matters. Until you have a child, you have no clue of the love, the worry and the stress involved. You just don't, sorry. And of course that is just my opinion. I am as biased as I accused @stevencloser of being...

As a father of two I'm having trouble connecting love and stess to discounting the perspectives of family members and the rest of society.

And you are entitled to your opinion...

Oh. Silly me. Looking for a logical connection again. It seems that I came to the wrong place.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    god, parents love complaining about non-breeders offering advice

Don't love complaining about it, just can't stand getting it...
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Try pregnancy boards for real fun
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

well aware of them and how they are (at least the bump)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

:D:D

Or baby boards. Good times.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Are you a parent?

Well I'm given birth to 3 little hellions, er children, and I think the OP is over the top. My little darlings are all thin/healthy as well, even though I'm pretty laid back about what they eat. But, to each their own!
  • J72FIT
    Options

Are you a parent?

Well I'm given birth to 3 little hellions, er children, and I think the OP is over the top. My little darlings are all thin/healthy as well, even though I'm pretty laid back about what they eat. But, to each their own!

Oh I don't necessarily agree with the op. I'm like you, my sons diet overall is very healthy. He gets plenty of treats. The only real hard rule we have at home is, if you're not hungry for dinner then you're not hungry for dessert. You don't even have to finish your plate, lol!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Childless people are experts at parenting, didn't you know?

I didn't know of the mandatory "How to be a good parent" courses everyone who got pregnant gets and only gets the child once they excel at it.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Childless people are experts at parenting, didn't you know?

I didn't know of the mandatory "How to be a good parent" courses everyone who got pregnant gets and only gets the child once they excel at it.

Lol, spoken like a someone who does not have children. I get it though, before I had a kid, I was the same way...
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options

well aware of them and how they are (at least the bump)

They are bad. I used to be on one where this terrible women just complained about how awful her kids were (and often her husband too). Everything she posted was a gigantic pity party (and her kids just did the normal things kids do, although she used to leave them shut in another room with toys and tv while she sat in another room on the Internet or watching Netflix then was surprised when they got into stuff.) Why have kids in the first place if all you're going to do is b**ch about them on the Internet and ignore them??. I am sure one day her kids and husband will see all the awful stuff she said about them. The Internet is never private.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    sudmom wrote: »
    All of my children are now adults. When they were little, I tried very hard to keep them on a healthy diet and to not eat junk. It is hard, it looks like your child is still very small. It gets harder...stick to your guns and try to always give them healthy options-they will get used to it and expect healthy options through out everything they do. There will ALWAYS be people who want to give your child an Oreo when you want them to have a multigrain bar-One way I got around that at class parties and day care etc. is to make a healthy option type cookie at home and bring it in for all of the kids..I.e. Carrot, oatmeal cookies-when all the other kids think that what YOUR child has is a special treat, they will want it too. Makes your child feel special that you want them to be healthy. Easter Baskets and stockings had exotic fruit and pricy protein bars that they didn't normally get. My children never felt deprived because they didn't get junk. They all still come home and want the food that I make for them-vegetables and all! ;-)

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Some people who have kids have no clue what they're doing, yet their kids grow up to do great things. Some people have kids, think they know everything and their kids grow up to be gangbangers and end up in prison for murder or become a serial killer.

All anyone can do is what they know and think is best at the time. I am a very different mother today than I was at 19 when I had my first child. But all of my kids have turned out healthy, smart and happy. I still don't know what the heck I'm doing most of the time.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Your baby is still a baby right? Just wait. Hopefully your kid isn't doesn't start being a picky eater at 2.

Not to mention what she's going to be like at 16.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Are you a parent?

I raised two sons and a daughter to adulthood and all three are healthy, productive adults. Two have children of their own. We had ice cream, sodas and cookies in the house but for the most part ate healthy. If you don't allow children choices when young, they don't know how to make choices when they're older. Teach your daughter to say "no" (if she's close to two she will figure it out soon enough!) and reward her for good choices.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thank you,
    USMCMP
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.