I lose weight when I do exercise not by restricting calories, Why is it so?

Options
13»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    2100 calories from walking?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    MyPathway wrote: »
    b3d335eba331a357e8e31ce8c4a1245a.png

What app is that? I started using Weight trend 2 weeks ago. Weight fluctuations still drives me crazy, I was wondering how long does it take to have a good estimate? The app tells me I am loosing 1 lbs/week since i lost 2 in the first week and none in the second week. So the trend is still going down but I am still worried I am not losing in the long term.

That's weightgrapher.com. 2 weeks should be enough to put a trend line on there, but I couldn't figure out a way to put in old weights other than manually which is a bit of a pain.

Yeah. I don't have one of those fancy shmancy smart scales that automatically update the app so I don't care cause I input every weight manually anyway.
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    2100 calories from walking?

Yeah
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    OP, just be honest to yourself. That's all. You don't even need to be honest to us.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    SW: 280 lb
    CW: 235 lb
    GW: 190 lb

BMR: 2200 calories/Day

When I create deficit only by restricting calories (no exercise) i don't lose weight. 1500-1800 calories/Day
    Consider my TDEE 2600-2800.
    This is how I create deficit of 800-1000 Calories/Day.
    So i should be losing 2 pounds/Week. 1000*7=7000 Calories (Deficit)
    Don't say I am not logging accurately. I always log 100 to 200 more calories than I eat. I scan my food i weigh my food so no dispute over this.

When I eat 1500 calories/Day and Burn calories around 1500 by walking 10-12 Miles I see results tremendously. I miss those days when I was walking 12+ miles daily and i was seeing results and this is How I lost my weight.

I lost 45 Pounds and I'm happy but now I have not much time to do exercise so restricting calories is only option.

I will be back to exercise after a month. But curious why i don't lose weight by creating deficit.

There is a reason, or an answer to your question we just need to pick a apart your method to come up with the answer.

The points highlighted in your post? Do you eat 1500 or 1800 calories a day and do you log 100 - 200 calories before or after the 1500 - 1800 you log a day.

How do you know how many calories you burn, where are you getting the calorie burn from?

PLease open your diary... need this piece of info too to work though what you say is no calorie deficit at all through food.

I want to run your stats (age, weight, and height) through another calculator. I also want to say if you eat 1500 calories a day the exercise is not keeping you in a deficit, but the 1500 min calories is, but I need to know exactly what you are logging.. is it 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800 a day, and logging more 100 - 200 than you eat before or after or is included in these numbers..

I eat between 1500 to 1800 calories. Some day 1500, 1600 or 1800
    I add 100 or 200 calories more to my actual calories intake. Suppose today i ate 1500 calories i will add some extra food (which I don't eat) to my total calories Intake. I do this to satisfy myself that I am going in right direction.

I use mapmywalk app and I also MFP steps counter (iPhone 5s motion sensor).
    My stats in both apps (mapmywalk and MFP)
    Weight: 235 lb
    Height: 5'10

I use mapmywalk to check the calories i burn by walking. Day before yesterday I walked 15+ miles and mapmywalk says you burned 2635 calories. This is how i track calories I burned.

One more thing which i think is important: in my diet wheat flour is main part I eat Roti (200 gm of wheat) in lunch and dinner with vegetables,chicken and meat daily, but I weigh this food and still i am below 1800 calories. Sometimes i think because of this food I am not losing weight. As i said with this food i eat below my calories intake goal.

mapmywalk is notorious for over estimating calories burned .and if you use your phone to track steps and its not synced with mapmywalk then its possible you are getting double the calories you are burning,do you eat any of your exercise calories back?

What do you think about this?
    647yg36t3wc1.png

qt5b1ho1a88n.png

well since we dont know how long it took you to get those steps,how fast you walked,the effort you put into it and so on there is no way to tell. but I do know that it will give me high numbers even walking really slow and Im talking about less than 2mph.and then when I do walk fast over 3 mph for an hr it would give me like 400+ calories burned. I know thats not right for me anyway.just for me today my fitbit for 9.137 steps(not done all at once) only gave me like 287 calories burned,thats so far and Im 5'6.5 and 168 lbs. so you would burn more than I would but dont think it would be that high. maybe half that.12,000+ steps yesterday only gave me like 527 calories and that was a decent pace as well as sprints with my dog while walking him,and walking uphill.Thats not using the app,thats using fitbit.
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

When I create deficit only by restricting calories (no exercise) i don't lose weight. 1500-1800 calories/Day
    Don't say I am not logging accurately. I always log 100 to 200 more calories than I eat. I scan my food i weigh my food so no dispute over this.

When I eat 1500 calories/Day and Burn calories around 1500 by walking 10-12 Miles I see results tremendously. I miss those days when I was walking 12+ miles daily and i was seeing results and this is How I lost my weight.

I lost 45 Pounds and I'm happy but now I have not much time to do exercise so restricting calories is only option.

I will be back to exercise after a month. But curious why i don't lose weight by creating deficit.

There is a reason, or an answer to your question we just need to pick a apart your method to come up with the answer.

The points highlighted in your post? Do you eat 1500 or 1800 calories a day and do you log 100 - 200 calories before or after the 1500 - 1800 you log a day.

How do you know how many calories you burn, where are you getting the calorie burn from?

PLease open your diary... need this piece of info too to work though what you say is no calorie deficit at all through food.

I want to run your stats (age, weight, and height) through another calculator. I also want to say if you eat 1500 calories a day the exercise is not keeping you in a deficit, but the 1500 min calories is, but I need to know exactly what you are logging.. is it 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800 a day, and logging more 100 - 200 than you eat before or after or is included in these numbers..

I add 100 or 200 calories more to my actual calories intake. Suppose today i ate 1500 calories i will add some extra food (which I don't eat) to my total calories Intake. I do this to satisfy myself that I am going in right direction.

I use mapmywalk to check the calories i burn by walking. Day before yesterday I walked 15+ miles and mapmywalk says you burned 2635 calories. This is how i track calories I burned.

One more thing which i think is important: in my diet wheat flour is main part I eat Roti (200 gm of wheat) in lunch and dinner with vegetables,chicken and meat daily, but I weigh this food and still i am below 1800 calories. Sometimes i think because of this food I am not losing weight. As i said with this food i eat below my calories intake goal.

mapmywalk is notorious for over estimating calories burned .and if you use your phone to track steps and its not synced with mapmywalk then its possible you are getting double the calories you are burning,do you eat any of your exercise calories back?

647yg36t3wc1.png

qt5b1ho1a88n.png

well since we dont know how long it took you to get those steps,how fast you walked,the effort you put into it and so on there is no way to tell. but I do know that it will give me high numbers even walking really slow and Im talking about less than 2mph.and then when I do walk fast over 3 mph for an hr it would give me like 400+ calories burned. I know thats not right for me anyway.just for me today my fitbit for 9.137 steps(not done all at once) only gave me like 287 calories burned,thats so far and Im 5'6.5 and 168 lbs. so you would burn more than I would but dont think it would be that high. maybe half that.12,000+ steps yesterday only gave me like 527 calories and that was a decent pace as well as sprints with my dog while walking him,and walking uphill.Thats not using the app,thats using fitbit.

My walking pace is not less than 3.7 mph.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

647yg36t3wc1.png

qt5b1ho1a88n.png

My walking pace is not less than 3.7 mph.

I wouldn't use my phone...I bet that is so over estimated it's not funny.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I wish it was possible to earn that many calories from walking, but sorry - you're not losing weight because you're getting a severely overinflated calorie burn. If you're eating back your exercise calories (or even half) - it's going to push you over. Normally you can eat a portion of exercise calories, but if it's "giving you" 2000 calories extra to eat, I wouldn't be eating any.

In short - your exercise burn is severely overinflated, if you're eating them back that's probably why logging isn't working for you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    1400+ calories is not enough for a male,the least a male should take in is 1500 and thats the very least.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize who the OP was. He has posted numerous threads about his walking 12-15 miles a day and concerns about not losing enough weight. Regardless of whether he really does or does not walk that many miles a day, he clearly suffers from some severe anxiety issues regarding weight loss. OP I suggest you seek out a therapist. I mean that in a nice way. It does not do well to kill yourself with working out a ton and undereating and then posting once a week panic threads on the forums that you aren't losing fast enough.