Protein, fat, carbs

13»

Replies

• Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    I like the term "Not For Everybody". This should be a Peer Support Environment which means advice that "Works For Me". I can't say what will work for you or what's best and I'm not a Dr. or a Nutritionist. All I know is what works for me and that may be the "Golden Ticket" for someone else. Or not! Weight loss "for me" is always a Work In Progress and Trial And Error, but I think I have found what works best over time! Now I can control my weight easily whenever I Iike which is Raw Power:) P.S. For me, it's a simple equation after ALL the books and diets! Calories in vs. caloeies out:) And for me, a low carb high protein moderate fat diet works awesome with pleanty of walking, (3 hours a day). I had 4 Back Surgeries and was laid up for a year so gained and am just getting back on track. Also beat 4th stage cancer!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I always find it frustrating in threads like this that low carb/keto evangelists always seem to assume that if you aren't eating low carb, you are eating a high carb low fat diet. And many of the studies used as evidence for LC being the holy grail compare LCHF to HCLF. But there is a huge variety to choose from in between these two extremes.

I have never heard ANYONE here argue that people should be eating a low-fat diet. I'd bet we could all agree that the 80's-90's low fat craze had a horrible affect on the average person's understanding about diet, weight, and health that still lingers.

I don't eat low carb, and I don't eat low fat, so I always end up walking away from these threads wondering what all the hubub was about. Sure, eating LCHF is better than eating low fat. Eating balanced macros is better than eating low fat too. I still haven't seen anything that says that my dinner tonight of chicken, zucchini, and pasta in marinara followed by a little gelato is anything other than a healthy, well-balanced meal.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I think you're asking how to reset your MFP macros, right? You have to buy the premium, I believe.

Not true, you can reset your macros in the free version, but only in I believe 5% increments, the premium allows you to do it in 1% increments.

I do have premium but I wasn't sure what my percentages should be. Sounds like they are good now?

@Jozzmenia

As you enter the percentages, the program should do the math and tell you how many grams this works into. I've had to change them a couple times to find the numbers I wanted, but it will wok out for you.

You don't need to be afraid of fat. Fats are healthy. The are needed for absorption of certain vitamins and many body functions. Balance is important. Good luck.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited April 2016
    ketorach wrote: »
    If you're concerned about high body fat percentage, you should be concerned about your carbohydrate intake, not fat.

"People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows."

A Call for a Low-Carb Diet That Embraces Fat
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?_r=0

Many people will say only calorie restriction matters. This is overly simplistic. Do the research yourself. The low carb real food is the way to go for life-long health!

Wow please don't listen to this. Low carb is one route that works for people but is in no way the only way to go for life long health. Calorie deficit is literally the only thing that matters to lose weight, except for some special circumstances.

Edit: don't listen to the you have to eat low carb, healthy fats I agree are very good for you but you can encorporate more then enough of these and still eat carbs.

So not surprised by this comment. If you are concerned about fatty liver and losing body fat, cutting down on dietary fat is the last thing you want to do. Check out dietdoctor.com for some excellent resources.

I agree about not cutting down on fat. But why are you saying the only way is to go low carb?

@tillerstouch "low carb" can mean 20, 50 or up to 150 grams of carbs daily. To go Low Carb and be in a state of Nutritional Ketosis (running muscles, heart and brain more on ketones than glucose) one typically must eat <50 grams of carbs daily. Protein can not be HIGH (70-90 grams daily in my case) since about 1/2 of protein is converted by the body into glucose (brain and red blood cells both require glucose). We do not require carbs to make all of the glucose required for full health as long as we eat some protein and enough fats. Well we have to have a source of vitamins and minerals. In nature carbs can be a good source of vitamins and minerals but not so much in processed carbs. While carbs are not 'required' I for one still eat carbs within the 50 gram limit to live in a state of Nutritional Ketosis. I do not do this to lose weight but to managing my pain and reduce my risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc. Weight loss can be a side effect if calories are low enough. I maintain at 200 pounds on 2500+ calories daily average. With a macro of 5% carbs, 15% protein I have to go high fat to get in my 2500 calories per day. I can ONLY stay in Nutritional Ketosis Way Of Eating by going high fat.

Does that help you understand the ONLY WAY statement?

120g of protein isn't going to be converted into glucose and knock you out of ketosis.
    If you're concerned about high body fat percentage, you should be concerned about your carbohydrate intake, not fat.

"People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows."

Many people will say only calorie restriction matters. This is overly simplistic. Do the research yourself. The low carb real food is the way to go for life-long health!

Wow please don't listen to this. Low carb is one route that works for people but is in no way the only way to go for life long health. Calorie deficit is literally the only thing that matters to lose weight, except for some special circumstances.

Edit: don't listen to the you have to eat low carb, healthy fats I agree are very good for you but you can encorporate more then enough of these and still eat carbs.

So not surprised by this comment. If you are concerned about fatty liver and losing body fat, cutting down on dietary fat is the last thing you want to do. Check out dietdoctor.com for some excellent resources.

I agree about not cutting down on fat. But why are you saying the only way is to go low carb?

@tillerstouch "low carb" can mean 20, 50 or up to 150 grams of carbs daily. To go Low Carb and be in a state of Nutritional Ketosis (running muscles, heart and brain more on ketones than glucose) one typically must eat <50 grams of carbs daily. Protein can not be HIGH (70-90 grams daily in my case) since about 1/2 of protein is converted by the body into glucose (brain and red blood cells both require glucose). We do not require carbs to make all of the glucose required for full health as long as we eat some protein and enough fats. Well we have to have a source of vitamins and minerals. In nature carbs can be a good source of vitamins and minerals but not so much in processed carbs. While carbs are not 'required' I for one still eat carbs within the 50 gram limit to live in a state of Nutritional Ketosis. I do not do this to lose weight but to managing my pain and reduce my risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc. Weight loss can be a side effect if calories are low enough. I maintain at 200 pounds on 2500+ calories daily average. With a macro of 5% carbs, 15% protein I have to go high fat to get in my 2500 calories per day. I can ONLY stay in Nutritional Ketosis Way Of Eating by going high fat.

120g of protein isn't going to be converted into glucose and knock you out of ketosis.

@ketorach why would you make such a statement? Do you not know the work of Dr. Peter Attia?
    It's almost impossible to eat enough protein to be knocked out of ketosis if you're eating at a deficit. People can maintain muscle while in a deficit eating *a lot* of protein.

Keto is not such a complicated thing. Eat <25g of net carbs, hit your protein macro, eat fat to satiety. If you go over your protein goal, the world isn't going to end and you're almost certainly not going to be knocked out of ketosis.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

@ketorach why would you make such a statement? Do you not know the work of Dr. Peter Attia?
    It's almost impossible to eat enough protein to be knocked out of ketosis if you're eating at a deficit. People can maintain muscle while in a deficit eating *a lot* of protein.

Keto is not such a complicated thing. Eat <25g of net carbs, hit your protein macro, eat fat to satiety. If you go over your protein goal, the world isn't going to end and you're almost certainly not going to be knocked out of ketosis.

@ketorach if that works for you then that is good. All I am saying medically speaking you are incorrect. I point you to Dr. Peter Attia for a better understanding of protein's relationship with living in a state of nutritional ketosis.
  • ketorach
    edited April 2016

@ketorach if that works for you then that is good. All I am saying medically speaking you are incorrect. I point you to Dr. Peter Attia for a better understanding of protein's relationship with living in a state of nutritional ketosis.
    Of course. Because Dr. Peter Attia is the only doctor or researcher who knows anything about nutritional ketosis.

It is a fact that one can consume >100g of protein and remain in nutritional ketosis. Just sayin'.
  • GaleHawkins

Of course. Because Dr. Peter Attia is the only doctor or researcher who knows anything about nutritional ketosis.

It is a fact that you can consume >100g of protein and remain in nutritional ketosis. Just sayin'.

@ketorach now I know you made a statement that is not medically true about me and one that you can not prove in a legal sense. :) What is your point.
  • ketorach

It is a fact that you can consume >100g of protein and remain in nutritional ketosis. Just sayin'.

@ketorach now I know you made a statement that is not medically true about me and one that you can not prove in a legal sense. :) What is your point.

I meant general "you" not you specifically, which I'm pretty sure you knew.

If you aren't in nutritional ketosis at >100g of protein and I am, then it *is* a fact that one can remain in nutritional ketosis at >100g of protein.

Not going to continue to argue this point, as I have no intention of defending ketosis in court.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    edited April 2016
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0106851

Here's something that some could find interesting here ;)

Op , don't listen to all the hype . as you can see there's many people here who push extreme diets.
    I ate 40carbs-30 protein-30 fat and was just fine. I've lost all my weight and maintained it for 2+ yrs so far.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited April 2016
  • GaleHawkins
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0106851

Here's something that some could find interesting here ;)

Op , don't listen to all the hype . as you can see there's many people here who push extreme diets.
    I ate 40carbs-30 protein-30 fat and was just fine. I've lost all my weight and maintained it for 2+ yrs so far.

Very important study that seems to drive home the facts carbs are fine until we process the heck out of them and they become devoid of fiber and get other matter added that was not part of the carb when it was growing.
  • GaleHawkins
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Thanks for that link. It drives home what happens to us eating SAD happens to others when they eat our way instead of they grew up eat. It stated their "traditional Tongan diet is fish, root vegetables and coconuts, as you might expect for a palm-fringed island in the middle of the Pacific. MCT's we know today can be some of the best type of fats to eat."

I grew up eating high carb at we grew ourselves and it was cooked in locally sourced natural saturated fats and there were next to no obese people in the area.

The article has some sad health stories that we know could have been avoided.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So now DietDoctor and Popsugar are good sources for medical info? Awesome.

OP, if you have a medical condition, I would advise not taking suggestions from the community. A nutritionist is basically a meaningless title that anyone can use, so see if you can get referred to a Registered Dietitian to discuss if there is a specific macro distribution you should be aiming for.

Macros don't directly affect weight loss or gain, but can affect satiety and play a role in medical conditions and fitness goals.

And as others have said, fat in and of itself doesn't make you fat. Excess calories of any kind make you fat.

Best of luck

Totally, agreed, do not take suggestions from the community. Most of it is total garbage. However, like I said, do you own research.

And dietdoctor.com is an exceptional resource. It is ad free, unbiased, with no industry sponsorship.

These boards tend to be so overwhelming. To clarify, I don't CURRENTLY have a medical condition, but I was saying that scare with fatty liver in the past made me fear fats. I try to eat clean and eat healthy fats currently, but since I'm trying to get more strict with logging i wanted my goals to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    I just use the default settings MFP gives. I'm a vegan so sometimes my protein is a little lower and carbs higher. It works for me! I've seen a very wide range of macros that people use on this site and the most important thing is keeping your calories in check.