Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

McDonalds all you an eat limitless french fries?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I wish we could get a kiosk for order taking to speed up getting the order placed and paid for faster. The $15 min wage should bring out the technology.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Food snobs. McDonalds makes enough money to give away food? That means a lot of people eat there.
    Supply and demand. Basic. I doubt fast food will become extinct because people are still buying it and eating it.
    Don't see this changing much.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I wish we could get a kiosk for order taking to speed up getting the order placed and paid for faster. The $15 min wage should bring out the technology.

lol! Good point!

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    McDonalds also wants to put a toll-tag device on your car. Automatic pay through drive through.

That just sounds like keeping up with the times.

I pretty much pay for everything now using my contactless bank cards. I rarely carry cash with me these days.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mcdonalds stock has been rising since news. Expect other fast food chains to follow suit.
    Taco Bell unlimited deep fried cinnamon twists?
    KFC biscuits
    Burger king unlimited onion rings
    What will the future bring? What will life be 20 years from now.
    McDonalds also wants to put a toll-tag device on your car. Automatic pay through drive through.

Um, you know all you can eat places aren't a new thing, right?

Here's an analysis of McDonald's stock price and some reasons for it: http://www.investors.com/news/can-mcdonalds-keep-winning-streak-alive-in-q1/

They don't mention St. Joseph, MO.

Of course not, this concept is being tried at a new store in St. Joseph MO
    The store also features configurable burger choices and a kiosk for orders. The sales from that store will not change MCD's books by a measurable amount.

If folks are piling into MCD'S on this news, that's just silly.

Yeah, that was basically my point.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Who cares...if you don't want then don't order it. Can't believe people are making such a big deal out of it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I don't think most people are, actually.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds stock has been rising since news. Expect other fast food chains to follow suit.
    Taco Bell unlimited deep fried cinnamon twists?
    KFC biscuits
    Burger king unlimited onion rings
    What will the future bring? What will life be 20 years from now.
    yes
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Why bring McDonalds into MFP site? lol

Right at my lunch hour....nah, i'll have my nice salad with a little bit of Ken's Lite Honey mustard dressing.
  • cadpro78
    Options
    Also, their food goes right through most people.... and then you're hungry in an hour from when you ate it. not worth IMO.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    While I am not a fan of McDonald's per se and haven't been there other than grabbing a coffee for years...I think the idea that all you can eat is why there is an obesity problem is missing the big picture. I guess we do live in a society that places zero on personal responsibility.

Exactly....

There are plenty of all you can eat places out there...I choose not to eat at them...namely because I am definitely a food snob where quality is concerned, and I've never had anything of quality at a buffet.

As to the OP, no I would not...because I think it's been about 15 years or so since I've even been to a McDonalds...that crap literally gets crapped out within minutes of eating...I don't know how people do it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Make it all you can eat McMuffins or all you can eat hashbrowns and we'll talk. I only ever go to McD's for breakfast anymore (personal preference).

But I really just popped in to see if anyone was hating on Missouri for being the test market, yet. Looks like it's been covered.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    No. This is absolutely ridiculous!!

Way to contribute even more to the obesity crisis McDonalds...

You're blaming the company...

...because they're giving consumers what they want?

Very interesting, comrade.

Yes, yes I am! Some folks may be able to self regulate, but many more will not, is my prediction. We shall have to wait and see :smile:

A private company's responsibility in the free market is to provide goods and/or services based on market wants/needs...they have no responsibility to keep people lean or whatever. If there is market demand, someone is going to provide.

Regardless of whether people can self regulate or not, it is the individual's responsibility to make decisions for themselves, not a for profit private institution.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    cadpro78 wrote: »
    Why bring McDonalds into MFP site? lol

Right at my lunch hour....nah, i'll have my nice salad with a little bit of Ken's Lite Honey mustard dressing.

Why wouldn't we talk about McDonald's here? It's a really popular restaurant. And personally, I'd rather have a nice Mcds Big Mac and one of their strawberry cream pies instead of a salad right now. To each their own :)

• cwolfman13
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Back in the day the French fries were delicious. Now they are horrible. I would not be inspired to eat unlimited fries.

In Australia the fries only have four ingredients - salt, potatoes, oil, and a preservative. I think they're alright. Not the best chips going but still pretty good.

Aren't they different in the US though?

I noticed the decline when the US went into this Trans Fat crap. After that the fries have this disgusting taste and when they are cold I throw them out. So I don't bother eating them.

I used to remember when you could eat them cold and they were great!

The "old days" is actually when they used the Trans Fat crap...
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i could live without french fries....no matter where they come from
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Also, their food goes right through most people.... and then you're hungry in an hour from when you ate it. not worth IMO.

This may be your experience but it's not mine? When I eat there I don't notice unusual hunger soon after.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

My n=1 says that McDonalds does not "go right through me" (whatever that means but I think I know what you are insinuating) and that I am not hungry an hour later. I often get a McDouble, eat some of my kid's fries and have a diet coke. It is about 500 calories and fills me up quite nicely for an afternoon at the soccer field or whatever errands we happen to be running that day...

• lemurcat12
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    While I am not a fan of McDonald's per se and haven't been there other than grabbing a coffee for years...I think the idea that all you can eat is why there is an obesity problem is missing the big picture. I guess we do live in a society that places zero on personal responsibility.

Exactly....

There are plenty of all you can eat places out there...I choose not to eat at them...namely because I am definitely a food snob where quality is concerned, and I've never had anything of quality at a buffet.

Right.

Thinking about this, I haven't been to an all you can eat place in forever, except for once in 2014 when a friend of mine insisted on having a birthday brunch at Shaw's Crab House. (Their unlimited brunch buffet actually does have lots of tasty options on it, and yet I still lost weight that week.)

We used to do all you can eat places much more when I was a kid than I ever have as an adult. I assumed they'd gone out of style, but probably it's location based or just the type of place I tend to choose now (I don't find "all you can eat" appealing, as I feel like I'm paying for something I don't want). Anyway, when I was a kid we'd go when my grandparents picked, and I always thought of them as an old person thing (who knows, maybe related to being a kid during the Depression).

I mention this, because this was back in the '70s and early '80s, when obesity was much less common, even though all you can eat was definitely a thing.

McDonald's existed too, of course, and lots of other fast food restaurants. We went to them as a rare treat and ordered size appropriate food and did not get fat.

I still don't understand what the debate is supposed to be in this thread.
  • cadpro78
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

My n=1 says that McDonalds does not "go right through me" (whatever that means but I think I know what you are insinuating) and that I am not hungry an hour later. I often get a McDouble, eat some of my kid's fries and have a diet coke. It is about 500 calories and fills me up quite nicely for an afternoon at the soccer field or whatever errands we happen to be running that day...

That dollar menu (well not dollar any more) is the bombed. McChicken is good too... but they dont have grilled on the value menu.