Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

McDonalds all you an eat limitless french fries?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm shocked how anyone can eat McDonalds....I think the food tastes like bad cafeteria food. I'd rather eat some hand cut fries or a real hamburger at a pub or on the boardwalk any day over McDonalds. I've only eaten McDonalds a handful of times over the past 25+ years and each time it tasted terrible.

I'm shocked how anyone can eat steak. That's why it's called personal preference. I love McDonald's food, especially the fries, even though I only eat it once or twice a year, if that (too far, no delivery).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I laughed when I saw this. My first thought was 'oh yeah that's exactly what Americans need' :D
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds stock has been rising since news. Expect other fast food chains to follow suit.
    Taco Bell unlimited deep fried cinnamon twists?
    KFC biscuits
    Burger king unlimited onion rings
    What will the future bring? What will life be 20 years from now.
    McDonalds also wants to put a toll-tag device on your car. Automatic pay through drive through.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds stock has been rising since news. Expect other fast food chains to follow suit.
    KFC biscuits
    McDonalds also wants to put a toll-tag device on your car. Automatic pay through drive through.

Life in 20 years will be awesome! With self driving cars slowly becoming more than just an ugly proof of concept and that automatic pay through drive through sounds so convenient! I just hope the future will bring more sense into the world (doubtful) and shift the burden of responsibility from chain restaurant businesses to individuals, where we start treating people like adults with brains capable of making decisions.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Where the link to the Red Robin's bottomless fries thread? And they have unlimited refills for kids' Mac and cheese too.

They probably had to install heavier-duty seats for their patrons years ago since they've been offering this for a while.

A bunch of places in Paris offer food "a volonté" - unlimited refills of fries or other things...

Leon de Brussels has had unlimited French Fries for 20 years. http://www.leon-de-bruxelles.fr
    La Regalade has as much terrine as you can stuff into your pie-hole.
    Les hunters au Comptoir is a 'free'-for-all oyster stuffer.
    Bistro-Romain has had unlimited carpaccio's also for about 10 years - it's a pretty generous chain-restaurant

along with all the AYCE sushi, chinese buffets, etc. that are part of regular restaurant fare. I doubt McD fries is such a big deal factor overall.

This is why the French have such an obesity problem.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    KFC biscuits

Life in 20 years will be awesome! With self driving cars slowly becoming more than just an ugly proof of concept and that automatic pay through drive through sounds so convenient! I just hope the future will bring more sense into the world (doubtful) and shift the burden of responsibility from chain restaurant businesses to individuals, where we start treating people like adults with brains capable of making decisions.

This. So much this!

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    McD's is getting desperate 'eh? Trying to give it away now.

Know how I know you don't understand marketing?
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I like McDonald's fries but it's not like they cost that much where unlimited is THAT much of a bargain. But I think there is something alluring about the AYCE concept. There's a dive bar around here that has AYCE wing night on Wednesdays and the wings are amazing. I probably eat about the same as what that number of wings would cost normally, but it's fun knowing you can keep going if you're so inclined.

I agree with people that said it's about personal responsibility. People can eat whatever they want, McDonald's isn't making anyone overeat.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wow I'm shocked how anyone can eat McDonalds....I think the food tastes like bad cafeteria food. I'd rather eat some hand cut fries or a real hamburger at a pub or on the boardwalk any day over McDonalds. I've only eaten McDonalds a handful of times over the past 25+ years and each time it tasted terrible.

What tastes bad to one person is going to taste good to someone else. We go to Mcds a few times a month, I like their sandwiches (especially their Big Macs), though I'm not a big fan of their fries. My favorite fries are from Checkers and 5 Guys. 5 Guys gives you so many fries (literally dump them in a bag), so it's kind of like unlimited already :)
  • glenneric913
    glenneric913 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

• glenneric913
    glenneric913 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Totally understand personal preference...I shouldn't have based my comment solely on taste but added how unhealthy the food is (high fat, sodium, sugar, causes weight gain, artificial flavoring, processed meat, etc. etc.), yet with all the marketing people still eat it...especially folks on forums like this that are looking to get healthy. IMHO. If you absolutely love it, then eat in moderation as an occasional treat...we all have our guilty pleasures :).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I like McDonald's fries but it's not like they cost that much where unlimited is THAT much of a bargain. But I think there is something alluring about the AYCE concept. There's a dive bar around here that has AYCE wing night on Wednesdays and the wings are amazing. I probably eat about the same as what that number of wings would cost normally, but it's fun knowing you can keep going if you're so inclined.

I agree with people that said it's about personal responsibility. People can eat whatever they want, McDonald's isn't making anyone overeat.

I agree on the AYCE concept. I earn enough money that I can afford to go back to the counter and buy all of the fries I could eat on occasions when I visit a McDonald's and eat in (a sure sign that I have "made it" in this world :open_mouth: ), but it just feels like I'm getting such a bargain.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Back in the day the French fries were delicious. Now they are horrible. I would not be inspired to eat unlimited fries.

In Australia the fries only have four ingredients - salt, potatoes, oil, and a preservative. I think they're alright. Not the best chips going but still pretty good.

Aren't they different in the US though?

I noticed the decline when the US went into this Trans Fat crap. After that the fries have this disgusting taste and when they are cold I throw them out. So I don't bother eating them.

I used to remember when you could eat them cold and they were great!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    KFC biscuits

Um, you know all you can eat places aren't a new thing, right?

Here's an analysis of McDonald's stock price and some reasons for it: http://www.investors.com/news/can-mcdonalds-keep-winning-streak-alive-in-q1/

They don't mention St. Joseph, MO.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!! B)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    KFC biscuits

Here's an analysis of McDonald's stock price and some reasons for it: http://www.investors.com/news/can-mcdonalds-keep-winning-streak-alive-in-q1/

Perhaps she has insider information about what drives stock prices given her user name.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    KFC biscuits

Perhaps she has insider information about what drives stock prices given her user name.

Heh.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    KFC biscuits

The toll-tag device would help with the traffic flow issues when the drive through lines reach into the street. Some people do pay with their I-phones at McD I notice. Collecting money does drive up the cost of rendering service.

Fast food gets slammed a lot but I find them cleaner and more consistent quality that the local greasy spoons that fill up every morning and evening. Eating out is not without risk factors for sure yet most do it at least in the USA.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Totally understand personal preference...I shouldn't have based my comment solely on taste but added how unhealthy the food is (high fat, sodium, sugar, causes weight gain, artificial flavoring, processed meat, etc. etc.), yet with all the marketing people still eat it...especially folks on forums like this that are looking to get healthy. IMHO. If you absolutely love it, then eat in moderation as an occasional treat...we all have our guilty pleasures :).

Eating at McDonalds does not cause weight gain, eating over your maintenance level calories does.

I've had no problems with my weight/health goals eating at Mcds a few times a month. I eat fast food 2-4 times a week usually and I'm in excellent health.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    KFC biscuits

Of course not, this concept is being tried at a new store in St. Joseph MO
    The store also features configurable burger choices and a kiosk for orders. The sales from that store will not change MCD's books by a measurable amount.

If folks are piling into MCD'S on this news, that's just silly.