Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

McDonalds all you an eat limitless french fries?

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I love McDonald's fries, but I rarely eat them because they don't fit well in my calorie budget.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I can eat them if they're RIGHT out of the deep fryer. As soon as they cool off enough to eat faster, they taste like cardboard.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I can eat them if they're RIGHT out of the deep fryer. As soon as they cool off enough to eat faster, they taste like cardboard.

That's why they sell chocolate shakes.
    8681088203_1bc7d8e25a_z.jpg
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Agreed, I only eat their fries on rare occasions (except for when I worked there). Most recently I had them this past Saturday, and they were fairly hot. That being said, I don't think McDonald's is the place I would go for endless fries.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Would you visit for the unlimited fries? Yes / No? Poll.
    http://fortune.com/2016/04/18/mcdonalds-unlimited-fries/
    St. Joseph, MO. Opening later this year.

I saw that and it isn't too far away from where I live. It seems strange that they are going that direction instead of offering different options these days. The other aspects of the new style restaurant are more appealing.
    I would not want unlimited fries. A large fry is really too big now. Most of the time these days I just get a salad with my sandwich instead of fries. It'd be nice if they expanded their salad options.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    If my local McDonald's had a system like the free drink refills where you pay a base price then refill for free, why not? I would just eat my usual small/medium fries order so it wouldn't make much of a difference. If I will be paying extra for that, not worth it. I know that I wouldn't drive to another city for that or re-arrange my plans for the opening day though.
  • schlafentzug
    schlafentzug Posts: 8 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Back in the day the French fries were delicious. Now they are horrible. I would not be inspired to eat unlimited fries.

In Australia the fries only have four ingredients - salt, potatoes, oil, and a preservative. I think they're alright. Not the best chips going but still pretty good.

Aren't they different in the US though?
  • TheLongshot
    TheLongshot Posts: 34 Member
    As good as I am on my diet, I could demolish unlimited french fries or chicken mcnuggets.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Notice they are testing regionally... This instance is indicative of that areas demographics. If I didn't care about peoples health had a biz, I'd probably do what was popular per location, after establishing some kind of nationally recognized standard too... The healthy-calorie-counting-weight-loosing-fitness-minded part of me is horrified at endless McD's fries, but the unhealthy buffet-challenging-bottomless-pit-of-binge-eating me is like, yazzzzzzzzssssss....
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    All this talk of french fries makes me want to go to McDonalds. i dont know if the fries taste different in scotland but i've always enjoyed a wee fry from the golden arches. no, stop taking about fries. aw see now i want a quarterpounder to go with it haha.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    IMHO McDonald's fries are not edible. So the answer is no.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

That's why they sell chocolate shakes.
    8681088203_1bc7d8e25a_z.jpg

The only fry/shake combo worthy of eating is Wendy's fries and chocolate Frosty. ;) Yum.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    If that's what people want to spend their calories on it doesn't bother me. I'm sure we all eat something that someone else hates. The snobbery is unnecessary and laughable.

Snobbery? Where?
  • Rockchick09
    Rockchick09 Posts: 200 Member
    Nope never.. I've only had McDonald's once and I was sick for 2 days after.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Back in the day the French fries were delicious. Now they are horrible. I would not be inspired to eat unlimited fries.

In Australia the fries only have four ingredients - salt, potatoes, oil, and a preservative. I think they're alright. Not the best chips going but still pretty good.

Aren't they different in the US though?

In the U.S. there are nineteen ingredients in McDonald's fries. They include "natural beef flavors" developed by someone in a lab coat. Back in the day, they used to fry them in beef fat. Now they use vegetable oil, so they use other methods to retain the beef flavor.....

My objection is more culinary than "health and fitness"; I think their food tastes terrible. I make my own fresh cut fries with my deep fryer at home when I have fries. My burgers are infinitely better as well......

Businesses have the right to offer their products as they chose. I do, however, very much appreciate restaurants that make an effort to provide healthy offerings and reasonable portion sizes.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    ...I think the idea that all you can eat is why there is an obesity problem is missing the big picture. I guess we do live in a society that places zero on personal responsibility.

I agree. Just because there are limitless french fries available, doesn't mean anyone has to eat all of them. Really, every restaurant or grocery store could be called an "all you can eat" venue. You just have to pay per item generally. Everyone is responsible for their eating choices. I know that I ate way too much & got morbidly obese. I have issues with food. Those are my own problems, not McDonald's. If I choose to get obese again & use their products to do it, I'm to blame. If french fries weren't available & I was set on eating large volumes of high calorie food, I'd just eat something else & it wouldn't be a bunch of baby carrots.

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I've been to St. Joseph MO. (where the McDonald's is going in) before, why the heck would I ever go back?