Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    n1terunner wrote: »
    I worry about people's health. Shaming is never the answer. We put zero body fat and thin physique on too much of a pedestal though, very few people have frames like that.

Who glamorizes being underweight and underfat? What does frame size have to do with anything?

Being a normal weight is healthy.

Being overweight isn't.

http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2156
  • The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Why do I like HAES? Because it's learning to love your body as it is. It is about making the healthier choices, that it is okay if your diet isn't 100% perfect. Its knowing you mentality won't change when or if you lose weight.

My body is not here to please others, it has a job to do and does it amazingly well. Yes I am overweight, my cholesterol, my sugars and blood pressure are on the low side, all my bloods are amazing. So yes I am in physically great shape.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Ah, I finally figured out my Googlefu. For anyone laboring under the illusion that there's any pretense of "health" in HAES, check this out:

https://www.sizediversityandhealth.org/content.asp?id=152
    The Health At Every Size® Approach

The Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH) affirms a holistic definition of health, which cannot be characterized as simply the absence of physical or mental illness, limitation, or disease. Rather, health exists on a continuum that varies with time and circumstance for each individual. Health should be conceived as a resource or capacity available to all regardless of health condition or ability level, and not as an outcome or objective of living. Pursuing health is neither a moral imperative nor an individual obligation, and health status should never be used to judge, oppress, or determine the value of an individual.

The framing for a Health At Every Size (HAES®) approach comes out of discussions among healthcare workers, consumers, and activists who reject both the use of weight, size, or BMI as proxies for health, and the myth that weight is a choice. The HAES model is an approach to both policy and individual decision-making. It addresses broad forces that support health, such as safe and affordable access. It also helps people find sustainable practices that support individual and community well-being. The HAES approach honors the healing power of social connections, evolves in response to the experiences and needs of a diverse community, and grounds itself in a social justice framework.

The Health At Every Size® Principles are:

Weight Inclusivity: Accept and respect the inherent diversity of body shapes and sizes and reject the idealizing or pathologizing of specific weights.

Health Enhancement: Support health policies that improve and equalize access to information and services, and personal practices that improve human well-being, including attention to individual physical, economic, social, spiritual, emotional, and other needs.

Respectful Care: Acknowledge our biases, and work to end weight discrimination, weight stigma, and weight bias. Provide information and services from an understanding that socio-economic status, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other identities impact weight stigma, and support environments that address these inequities.

Eating for Well-being: Promote flexible, individualized eating based on hunger, satiety, nutritional needs, and pleasure, rather than any externally regulated eating plan focused on weight control.

Life-Enhancing Movement: Support physical activities that allow people of all sizes, abilities, and interests to engage in enjoyable movement, to the degree that they choose.
    Q: Why did ASDAH determine it was a good time to revise and update its HAES Principles?

Over the years since the principles were adopted in 2003, ASDAH has received a great deal of thoughtful input from members and other groups regarding such issues as healthism, ableism, cultural imperialism, and the health implications of socioeconomic status and weight stigma. It gradually became clear that ASDAH's original HAES principles, while sound in and of themselves, did not fully reflect the evolving political and sociocultural milieu or the growing consensus regarding the social determinants of health.

ASDAH's ten-year anniversary has been a natural time for reflection, strategic planning and contemplation about our role as a leading voice in the international HAES community. The HAES approach has gained traction and developed roots in the public discourse about weight, size, and health. In this revised set of principles, we seek to acknowledge social justice and access concerns while remaining true to the underlying lived wisdom of the HAES approach as it has been practiced for many years.
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Why do I like HAES? Because it's learning to love your body as it is. It is about making the healthier choices, that it is okay if your diet isn't 100% perfect.

No one should be happy with how they look, even if they look great. No one should be happy with how "healthy" they are, even if they're super healthy.

We should all be working towards improvement in all things. Looking better, feeling better, treating others better, knowing more, being better educated, being better parents/spouses/children/citizens, being better at our jobs. Even if you're the best in the world at something, never accept that you're the best that you can be.

"I love my body the way it is" is an excuse to give up; "I love my body, and that's why I strive every day to improve it" is what we should all be thinking. And no one can "shame" you unless you already feel shame about something. So don't.

Excelsior!

I do love my body the way it is, no one has the right to tell me otherwise. Just because I love my body the way it is does not mean it is not an excuse to give up. Every day I try my best to eat healthy, I exercise. It means I have reached a different path in my life. It means i spent 15 years with restrictive bulimia and I want better. It means i want peace, i want to be at peace with my body. Why should I be always spending time to improve my body, where I could my time on more important things. I am more than my body.

I am healthy. I am happy. I do not need to keep improving my body. I doubt you will understand.

Well, you wouldn't be accepted by HAES if your healthy eating leads to any weight loss at all. Plus you say all this stuff but believe in the virtues of a group that actively shames lean people and views them only as their body. Lean people deserve peace too.

I am not apart of their group or any group. It is too tiring to keep trying to gain acceptance. I do not believe ANY body shaming is right, it goes against everything I believe in. Every body is a great body. Every body deserves acceptance. We do not knowvthe battles face so we have no right to judge.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am a member of a Facebook group that is a body acceptance, anti woo group called Eating the Food. There are actually people of every size and no one is shamed because of their weight. This is what HAES should be (as it does have every size in the name) but it has evolved into something completely different
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Why do I like HAES? Because it's learning to love your body as it is. It is about making the healthier choices, that it is okay if your diet isn't 100% perfect.

No one should be happy with how they look, even if they look great. No one should be happy with how "healthy" they are, even if they're super healthy.

We should all be working towards improvement in all things. Looking better, feeling better, treating others better, knowing more, being better educated, being better parents/spouses/children/citizens, being better at our jobs. Even if you're the best in the world at something, never accept that you're the best that you can be.

"I love my body the way it is" is an excuse to give up; "I love my body, and that's why I strive every day to improve it" is what we should all be thinking. And no one can "shame" you unless you already feel shame about something. So don't.

Excelsior!

I do love my body the way it is, no one has the right to tell me otherwise. Just because I love my body the way it is does not mean it is not an excuse to give up. Every day I try my best to eat healthy, I exercise. It means I have reached a different path in my life. It means i spent 15 years with restrictive bulimia and I want better. It means i want peace, i want to be at peace with my body. Why should I be always spending time to improve my body, where I could my time on more important things. I am more than my body.

I am healthy. I am happy. I do not need to keep improving my body. I doubt you will understand.

Well, you wouldn't be accepted by HAES if your healthy eating leads to any weight loss at all. Plus you say all this stuff but believe in the virtues of a group that actively shames lean people and views them only as their body. Lean people deserve peace too.

What their belief boils down to is that fat shaming is wrong and reprehensible, but fit shaming is perfectly okay and acceptable.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Excelsior!

I am not apart of their group or any group. It is too tiring to keep trying to gain acceptance. I do not believe ANY body shaming is right, it goes against everything I believe in. Every body is a great body. Every body deserves acceptance. We do not knowvthe battles face so we have no right to judge.

OK cool. Just thought you were when you said you liked HAES. I am guessing you like the original concept of it :)
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options

Excelsior!

OK cool. Just thought you were when you said you liked HAES. I am guessing you like the original concept of it :)

Yes, just the original concept of it. I like the idea of health at every size. Even if you are smaller or bigger.
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Excelsior!

What their belief boils down to is that fat shaming is wrong and reprehensible, but fit shaming is perfectly okay and acceptable.

See that is just VERY wrong!
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options
    I am a member of a Facebook group that is a body acceptance, anti woo group called Eating the Food. There are actually people of every size and no one is shamed because of their weight. This is what HAES should be (as it does have every size in the name) but it has evolved into something completely different

Completely agree!!! It is so wrong and so sad. It is actually pathetic
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options

Excelsior!

As someone who has had an eating disorder and a lot of body issues, this is just so wrong to me. I would give anything to truly love my body the way it is and be happy with how I look. It would be so freeing to not having a voice nagging that what I see is bad, to accept being 25%BF instead of 20% and feel good about myself. Why would it be so wrong to be happy with my imperfect body? And why would being happy with my body keep me from improving it?

Sorry, this comment really depresses me :( Loving my body would be such an accomplishment, I don't see how it's "giving up."

Love, love this post!!! I had restrictive bulimia for 15 years, I wish I count one two hands how many times I had a feeding tube, or being in hospital. Sometimes we need to stop trying to improve, stop trying to fit into todays standards and gain acceptance and learning that we are good enough the way we are now.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Excelsior!

As someone who has had an eating disorder and a lot of body issues, this is just so wrong to me. I would give anything to truly love my body the way it is and be happy with how I look. It would be so freeing to not having a voice nagging that what I see is bad, to accept being 25%BF instead of 20% and feel good about myself. Why would it be so wrong to be happy with my imperfect body? And why would being happy with my body keep me from improving it?

Sorry, this comment really depresses me :( Loving my body would be such an accomplishment, I don't see how it's "giving up."

Love, love this post!!! I had restrictive bulimia for 15 years, I wish I count one two hands how many times I had a feeding tube, or being in hospital. Sometimes we need to stop trying to improve, stop trying to fit into todays standards and gain acceptance and learning that we are good enough the way we are now.

*Hugs* Bulimia's a *kitten*. I hope you're getting to a better place <3