Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »

Or a weak, whiney parent presenting some chronically indulged little kid with a million options at the IHOP while the waitress has to stand there. "Do you want pancakes Honey? Or how about two scrambled eggs? How about some toast with butter and cinnamon sugar? Do you want milk? No? But you like all those things. What's with the sourpuss? What would you like then? Look at me sweetheart. The girl is waiting. How about French toast. They have the syrup you like. You could even have a hamburger sweetie. Sweetie? Come on now. Answer me. Would you like butter on your pancakes or she can serve it on the side. Honey?" Wait 'til this brat grows up to be the office supervisor.

Having terrible flashbacks to my time as a waitress.

Me too. Remembering the awfulness of not being able to roll my eyes, walk away, or even scream at them. To this day, if I dine with anyone who inadvertently tortures a waiter or waitress, I will never eat in a restaurant with them again.

No better insight into the minds of others, simply watching how they treat those who serve them.

Not necessarily. I can seem very crass if you read me wrong, but I am just not there for pleasantries, and I know the waiter/waitress isn't either, even if they get paid to seem like they are. I am efficienct with order delivery, to the point with any answer to a question, and so long as my coffee cup never empties, they've already earned at minimum, a $20 tip. Yeah, I've given 1200% tips before for that reason alone.

Still doesn't stop people from telling me that I'm an a-hole for not smiling or being personable.

Do you at least say please and thank you?

Please? No. I don't say "please" for anything, ever.

Thanks? Absolutely.

Yeah. I wouldn't date you. Please is still part of manners when talking to waitstaff.

Ehh, it's a personal issue. Please is reserved for one very specific person under a very specific set of circumstances. Neither of which really need to be discussed here. I'll just leave it at "random waitress 343896" is not said person.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My personal take, as someone who worked in service jobs for years. If someone was speaking in a courteous way, I probably wouldn't even notice if they said "please" or not. I mean, I say it, but I didn't *expect* it when I was at work. I didn't expect small talk or specific phrases. I was there to do a job and if they wanted me to be social, I would do that for them. But if they didn't want to be social, it wasn't my job to force it on them.

Some of the worst customers I had would *say* all the right words, but be utterly awful. And some of the best hardly said anything at all.

To me there is a big difference between being social with a waitstaff and being courteous. I only worked fast food, so I was happy to not be sworn at, but a simple please and thank you, and putting your phone down when ordering, are not too much to ask when dealing with another person. Doesn't mean I need to chat.

And I tip pretty well unless I'm ticked off at something.

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Any competent wait staff keys off the vibes from the customer. They'll fish a bit to try establish a connection (good for tip) but should pick up when convo is not desired.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Any competent wait staff keys off the vibes from the customer. They'll fish a bit to try establish a connection (good for tip) but should pick up when convo is not desired.

This.

And as a former waitress/bartender, "please" was never required, or even expected, from a guest. "Thank you" was ALWAYS appreciated and some days, a "thank you" can mean so much more than a big tip.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    BodyByBex wrote: »

This.

And as a former waitress/bartender, "please" was never required, or even expected, from a guest. "Thank you" was ALWAYS appreciated and some days, a "thank you" can mean so much more than a big tip.

Yup, former bartender, waitress, hospitality manager here. Please never bothered me. I did like a thank you, but you took the customer at face value and picked up on their vibe. Being flexible like that is the key to being good at your job. Sometimes, giving efficient service to the guy or girl who barely acknowledged your existence led to the biggest tips, and the most loyal return customers.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    BodyByBex wrote: »

This.

Yup, former bartender, waitress, hospitality manager here. Please never bothered me. I did like a thank you, but you took the customer at face value and picked up on their vibe. Being flexible like that is the key to being good at your job. Sometimes, giving efficient service to the guy or girl who barely acknowledged your existence led to the biggest tips, and the most loyal return customers.

And then there were the ones you had a great connection with, chatted them up, good meal, and you did special favors for, yet they would stiff on the tip. So frustrating sometimes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My personal take, as someone who worked in service jobs for years. If someone was speaking in a courteous way, I probably wouldn't even notice if they said "please" or not. I mean, I say it, but I didn't *expect* it when I was at work. I didn't expect small talk or specific phrases. I was there to do a job and if they wanted me to be social, I would do that for them. But if they didn't want to be social, it wasn't my job to force it on them.

Some of the worst customers I had would *say* all the right words, but be utterly awful. And some of the best hardly said anything at all.

To me there is a big difference between being social with a waitstaff and being courteous. I only worked fast food, so I was happy to not be sworn at, but a simple please and thank you, and putting your phone down when ordering, are not too much to ask when dealing with another person. Doesn't mean I need to chat.

And I tip pretty well unless I'm ticked off at something.

I didn't mean to conflate being social and being courteous, I just meant that I don't consider "please" and "thank you" to be necessary components of courtesy. They're appreciated, but other things that go into courtesy are a pleasant tone of voice, body language, being considerate and not creating unnecessary extra work for a server (like making a mess at a table), letting me know when you're not ready to order so I can take care of other work, etc. If someone did all those things and just didn't say "please," I wouldn't consider that to be a failure of courtesy.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

The only way IMO that you miss out on life is if you turn your back on it. Obese people might not be able to climb a mountain but there are other things that they can do to enjoy life.

I agree with the weight being hard on you as you grow older. However being obese affects the young in different ways...the opinions of others has more of an affect on you than when you are older. Quite frankly at age 64...I could care less about what others think of me.

No one however has to miss out on life if they choose not to. Even people that are bed ridden can enjoy the life that they have been given.
    Sorry but that's simply not true. You do miss out on some parts of life when you are obese because you are simply unable to physically keep up. Doesn't mean you can't do something else you enjoy, but that doesn't alter the fact that you will miss out on some things if you are obese. You can't just choose to play hockey or soccer or go hiking if you are obese and physically unable to complete the task. If you're with a group of friends or family that decides they'd like to engage in some physical activity you can't do, you miss out.

I've been there. In fact, not being able to play hockey anymore because I was simply too fat to keep up was a big eye opener and turning point in my health and fitness.

What part of my statement is not true??? I didn't lie...I only stated my opinion.

BTW...I was obese when I started hiking.

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I was morbidly obese. I didn't have high cholesterol, I wasn't pre diabetic, my blood work was great. No one was making fun of me or making me feel bad about myself. But I felt like crap day in and day out. I was in pain from being big. I am down 80 and full of life. I feel like FA is a load of crap being twisted. No we shouldn't make fun but lets be realistic, MORBIDLY OBESE just ain't healthy.

Yes. Eventually the gained fat starts to hurt the internal organs and body mechanism. However one can be little overweight yet fit. I think one should aim for fitness and losing the extra weight is part of it. What I see that it's not only vanity.
  • AmyWirtzPrichard
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    I think that shaming people for the size of their bodies is unbelievably cruel and should not happen, ever. Having said that, it is worrisome to me that it is becoming socially acceptable to be so very overweight. It is super unhealthy and can lead to early death. But, I can only do so much in my little corner of the world, so I encourage my girls to eat right and get decent amounts of exercise, and talk to them openly (and kindly) about the dangers of being obese.