Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4134762/Woman-fell-scooter-Walmart-shames-online-trolls.html

This fat shaming case tells of the pain the person can feel.

Something tells me that a spinal condition isn't the only reason her legs feel weak when she stands up.

See? There we go again. Stop trying to make me feel bad for these people, because it just ends up making me angry and spiteful. Man, I had gone for over a month without saying "landwhale" too. Way to go Gale. Bah.

YES AGREED
  • davidtcharron
    davidtcharron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with your size then ee should be too. If your fat an happy that shouldnt be a problem. However you should be aware of possible medical issues. Same with being too skinny.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with your size then ee should be too. If your fat an happy that shouldnt be a problem. However you should be aware of possible medical issues. Same with being too skinny.

I've yet to meet anyone who is happy that they are fat/obese. They may put on a brave, i dont care front. But when they are home alone standing naked in front of the mirror, I'm sure happiness and joy with how they look and feel is not the first thing that comes to their mind.. For many obese people, I'm sure eating unlimited quantities of food makes them happy... For a short fleeting time.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    To add what it's like for a fat person to lose their weight. Two trainers that purposely gained 70+ lbs and then vlog about the journey back from the place. It's H3LL and Demoralizing.

This one is short and sweet:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdwSR9RhkM0

This one is actually far more detailed and much more realistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew7g7AqGqzo

Watch these and then imagine being a person that has ZERO clue how to get to a healthy weight with the same issues and then some these guys have. You kind of have a choice to be happy or miserable. Some fat people still choose mental health even if they can't have physical health.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread and I want to say this. At the base of it all is the thought that a fat person doesn't deserve love or respect because they are fat.

I used to be in the same category as many of you that it was silly. And then... I got fat. (rough pregnancy and some stressful times)

They way people treat me now is horrible. Many of the people now in my department didn't know me from my "skinny" days. So I'm not allowed to join in conversations about nutrition or exercise. Nevermind that I have run a half-marathon and used to run 4miles daily. Instead I get recommendations on how to lose the weight and how to exercise. When I want to say "Erm yeah, when I'm done I'll be able to kick your butt at the gym" but this experience has made me FAR more empathetic. I'm actually very thankful for it.

And @Christine_72 My weight is not the center of my focus. I have a family and a son that is 2.5 and he is the center of my world. I am VERY happy with my life. While I am trying to lose weight for the sake of my health my weight has no bearing on my happiness. Infact, I can tell you that while life is full of peaks and vallies I am currently experiencing a peak. I am 70lbs overweight but I am very happy with my life.

I don't GAF about the fatness. It's just something that for the sake of health needs to change. Kind of like taking antibiotics. I don't get forlorn because I have a sinus infection. I go to the doctor, get on the meds and get rid of the damn thing. The same thing about fat. I'm not depressed or ashamed when I look in the mirror. I have never been a binge eater. The weight came on due to some crazy life events. WHICH is often the story of many obese people. BUT obesity isn't as easy to fix as a sinus infection. THAT is what gets some people forlorn. When they bust their butts and the scale barely budges.

The Fat acceptance movement isn't about thinking obesity is okay. It's about recognizing that a fat person is more than just that extra weight they have. The person you are looking at might have a good sense of humor. They actually might have more self confidence, better self image, better self worth than you.

I mean imagine for one minute a fat person being PROUD that they are a good parent, a great engineer, have discovered an important protein that might help fight cancer, or even has saved a child from a life of physical and sexual abuse. Imagine it because those people exist. I know them personally. For these people, the things they do WITH their life is far more important to them than what they look like to others. These people deserve to be loved and respected. They may be shortening their lives with their diet (which really is heart breaking) but the impact they have on the world is far more than some "healthy" people do. So accept that they are fat, and thank them for their contributions to society.
    You might GAF about fatness when you lose that 70 lbs and have some skin hanging off your belly that flaps in a strong wind ;) I've been pretty lucky that it hasn't affected me much and I'm down 75 lbs from my peak of 240 but I've seen others that were pretty severe. Surgery is the only way to permanently deal with it and I can't imagine being really happy about looking like that. You'd never wear tight clothes again that's for sure.

Another thing is, it doesn't affect you much when you are young but as you get older the extra weight really drags you down. Your joints start to ache, you have less and less energy as the years go by, you'll get injured more and more. You'll have health issues you wouldn't otherwise have had. You'll find you can't keep up to your kids, your grandkids, nieces, nephews etc. You'll miss out on life simply because you can't do what everyone else can do eventually.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread and I want to say this. At the base of it all is the thought that a fat person doesn't deserve love or respect because they are fat.

I used to be in the same category as many of you that it was silly. And then... I got fat. (rough pregnancy and some stressful times)

They way people treat me now is horrible. Many of the people now in my department didn't know me from my "skinny" days. So I'm not allowed to join in conversations about nutrition or exercise. Nevermind that I have run a half-marathon and used to run 4miles daily. Instead I get recommendations on how to lose the weight and how to exercise. When I want to say "Erm yeah, when I'm done I'll be able to kick your butt at the gym" but this experience has made me FAR more empathetic. I'm actually very thankful for it.

And @Christine_72 My weight is not the center of my focus. I have a family and a son that is 2.5 and he is the center of my world. I am VERY happy with my life. While I am trying to lose weight for the sake of my health my weight has no bearing on my happiness. Infact, I can tell you that while life is full of peaks and vallies I am currently experiencing a peak. I am 70lbs overweight but I am very happy with my life.

I don't GAF about the fatness. It's just something that for the sake of health needs to change. Kind of like taking antibiotics. I don't get forlorn because I have a sinus infection. I go to the doctor, get on the meds and get rid of the damn thing. The same thing about fat. I'm not depressed or ashamed when I look in the mirror. I have never been a binge eater. The weight came on due to some crazy life events. WHICH is often the story of many obese people. BUT obesity isn't as easy to fix as a sinus infection. THAT is what gets some people forlorn. When they bust their butts and the scale barely budges.

The Fat acceptance movement isn't about thinking obesity is okay. It's about recognizing that a fat person is more than just that extra weight they have. The person you are looking at might have a good sense of humor. They actually might have more self confidence, better self image, better self worth than you.

I mean imagine for one minute a fat person being PROUD that they are a good parent, a great engineer, have discovered an important protein that might help fight cancer, or even has saved a child from a life of physical and sexual abuse. Imagine it because those people exist. I know them personally. For these people, the things they do WITH their life is far more important to them than what they look like to others. These people deserve to be loved and respected. They may be shortening their lives with their diet (which really is heart breaking) but the impact they have on the world is far more than some "healthy" people do. So accept that they are fat, and thank them for their contributions to society.
    You might GAF about fatness when you lose that 70 lbs and have some skin hanging off your belly that flaps in a strong wind ;) I've been pretty lucky that it hasn't affected me much and I'm down 75 lbs from my peak of 240 but I've seen others that were pretty severe. Surgery is the only way to permanently deal with it and I can't imagine being really happy about looking like that. You'd never wear tight clothes again that's for sure.

Another thing is, it doesn't affect you much when you are young but as you get older the extra weight really drags you down. Your joints start to ache, you have less and less energy as the years go by, you'll get injured more and more. You'll have health issues you wouldn't otherwise have had. You'll find you can't keep up to your kids, your grandkids, nieces, nephews etc. You'll miss out on life simply because you can't do what everyone else can do eventually.

The only way IMO that you miss out on life is if you turn your back on it. Obese people might not be able to climb a mountain but there are other things that they can do to enjoy life.

I agree with the weight being hard on you as you grow older. However being obese affects the young in different ways...the opinions of others has more of an affect on you than when you are older. Quite frankly at age 64...I could care less about what others think of me.

No one however has to miss out on life if they choose not to. Even people that are bed ridden can enjoy the life that they have been given.

• applemiki
    applemiki Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    To be honest, the FA movement isn't really about glorying obesity as much as it is glorifying self love. Think about it this way: a skinny person hates their body and people run to them and say you are beautiful. An obese person is confident and believes they are beautiful and there are thinpo telling them to lose weight.

Like are only THIN people allowed to love their bodies? An obese person's health is none of your business. And plus thin =/= healthy. This subject does get me fired up in a way because moat people want to lose weight because society tells them they are NOT allowed to love our bodies and not because they really want to.

However I DO agree being fat can have health risks. But if they won't listen, allow them to love themselves. I am losing weight for me and for me only. If i don't look "presentable" them I don't care. My health comes before people's feelings and comfort.

PS: please also do not listen to any former fatties that tell you fat shaming is the way to go. it's not! we all know that. :)
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    If you want to be fat, then be fat. I will never accept fat on myself and think im healthy though
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

Or a weak, whiney parent presenting some chronically indulged little kid with a million options at the IHOP while the waitress has to stand there. "Do you want pancakes Honey? Or how about two scrambled eggs? How about some toast with butter and cinnamon sugar? Do you want milk? No? But you like all those things. What's with the sourpuss? What would you like then? Look at me sweetheart. The girl is waiting. How about French toast. They have the syrup you like. You could even have a hamburger sweetie. Sweetie? Come on now. Answer me. Would you like butter on your pancakes or she can serve it on the side. Honey?" Wait 'til this brat grows up to be the office supervisor.

Having terrible flashbacks to my time as a waitress.
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm legitimately insulted when I bring up to anyone that I'm losing weight via calorie counting / exercise and overhauling my diet, and they tell me I look great the way I am and don't need to lose any weight. I literally want to punch them in the face.

I'm 30.1% body fat currently, if I were 25% body fat and saying "uhhgg I NEED to lose weight I can't eat anything so I can lose 15 lbs!" yeah sure, tell me I'm healthy and look good or whatever, but when I'm obese and if I gain any more weight will be at risk for heart disease and diabetes and an early death, uh no, acceptance is NOT what I need from ANYBODY, INCLUDING myself!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Or a weak, whiney parent presenting some chronically indulged little kid with a million options at the IHOP while the waitress has to stand there. "Do you want pancakes Honey? Or how about two scrambled eggs? How about some toast with butter and cinnamon sugar? Do you want milk? No? But you like all those things. What's with the sourpuss? What would you like then? Look at me sweetheart. The girl is waiting. How about French toast. They have the syrup you like. You could even have a hamburger sweetie. Sweetie? Come on now. Answer me. Would you like butter on your pancakes or she can serve it on the side. Honey?" Wait 'til this brat grows up to be the office supervisor.

Having terrible flashbacks to my time as a waitress.

Me too. Remembering the awfulness of not being able to roll my eyes, walk away, or even scream at them. To this day, if I dine with anyone who inadvertently tortures a waiter or waitress, I will never eat in a restaurant with them again.

No better insight into the minds of others, simply watching how they treat those who serve them.